Menu

How to teach kids to swim (w/o lessons)...

Joker

Does anyone have any great suggestions or links? My youngest is 11 and cannot swim. She has stated she just doesn't trust swim instructors (we've tried lessons several years in a row). She loves to go to the pool. She goes underwater with no problem and will fetch rings. She can swim to me a short distance underwater, but nothing above water. She will go all over the pool and float with a noodle, but just can't do it on her own. Help!

does she have trust issues with the water?  I mean trust in herself to be able to swim in water over her head.  I really struggled with that - and it wasn't until I swam in deep water (not realizing it was over my head) that I became more confident and willing.  I didn't have particularly bad instructors before that, just not ones that met my needs for confidence boosting.

I've a dear friend whose son also had issues.  she finally dragged him down to the hotel pool on a vacation and made him learn to dog paddle.  he was 12.  he gained enough confidence he started taking actual swim lessons to learn the different strokes.  he attended college on a swimming scholarship.

You could use the technique of my non-swimming mum and step on hands as they grab desperately onto the edges of the pool until the gasping child paddles enough to get to the other side.

Not a really nurturing type I guess.

(We did also go to swimming lessons each summer for years right up to lifesaving levels. We have two weeks per year of subsidised lessons in this state.)

Spend plenty of time in pools and lakes. Seriously. I didn't think my oldest would ever learn to swim and swim lessons were a waste of time and money. He learned to swim on vacation when we spent every day at the beach and pool. For him, becoming comfortable in the water was the most important thing. He eventually became a life guard who was both lake and pool certified and he joined a swim team for a year. This same method worked with my second, third, and fourth children. Give her time. I think she's doing fine.

Sounds like she is doing pretty well either way.  I taught myself how to swim.  I don't recall how, but it was good enough to pass a swimming test to take diving lessons.  My 11 year old won't put his face under the water without pinching his nose with his fingers.  That's at least a huge step for him, but he just won't.  So swimming lessons have been pointless.  And I've started on him since he was a toddler!  *sigh*

If he wants to learn to swim, I'd get him a nose clip.

http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Competition-Nose-Clip-Charcoal/dp/B008DXEDCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374076194&sr=8-1&keywords=nose+clip

Sounds like she is doing pretty well either way.  I taught myself how to swim.  I don't recall how, but it was good enough to pass a swimming test to take diving lessons.  My 11 year old won't put his face under the water without pinching his nose with his fingers.  That's at least a huge step for him, but he just won't.  So swimming lessons have been pointless.  And I've started on him since he was a toddler!  *sigh*

Youngest will get his face wet no problem. But he likes to wear goggles all the time. I used elestic bands and made a string and used it to tie a nose plug onto his googles. He usually put on his nose plug when he is going to be doing stuff that gets water up his nose. 

Spend plenty of time in pools and lakes. Seriously. I didn't think my oldest would ever learn to swim and swim lessons were a waste of time and money. He learned to swim on vacation when we spent every day at the beach and pool. For him, becoming comfortable in the water was the most important thing. He eventually became a life guard who was both lake and pool certified and he joined a swim team for a year. This same method worked with my second, third, and fourth children. Give her time. I think she's doing fine.

That's what we did. Lots and lots of time in a pool and when possible a lake. No pressure. 

If you have a child who doesn't like to wear a nose clip, you can try snorkel goggles.  They have a plastic piece that covers the nose, so that you can only breathe through the mouth.  They don't pinch the nose, like nose clips.  For years, my one daughter would only swim when wearing snorkel goggles, because they relieved her worry that she'd get water up her nose.  She swam like a fish as long as she had her snorkel goggles to wear.  She'll now wear regular goggles.  The only drawback to snorkel goggles is that some pools / lifeguards won't permit them.

Do you have a friend with a pool.  Dc didn't want to do swim lessons (cause only little kids take lessons around here - their words not mine).  We asked our friends if they would be willing to teach our children.  It worked out really well because our kids were comfortable around friends and learned really quickly.

Uswim.com is a great website with a simple outline of swimming lessons.

Thank you for sharing this! I had never heard of it and I think it will be great for my kids. Lessons were a BOMB here, but we recently got an above ground. DS is doing excellent on his own, without lessons, but I think the structure of that site will help all of us. Cool!