Menu

Just a vent about not being invited to rehearsal dinner

misidawnrn

I didn't! :leaving:

I :001_wub: my MIL.

I didn't either.

My MIL wouldn't have carried one way or another.

Mind you it was a smaller wedding 100 people total (including everyone) and was a double wedding. My husband's sister got married also. So each bride or groom at the party got to invite 24 people total, including wedding party.

So I personally got a chance to talk to everyone one on one the next day and thank them for any presents. Dh got to do the same. The day after the wedding we went to his you to open presents and visit with his family, then for dinner we went my parents house and opened presents from my family and visited with them. The next day we drove the 5 hours home and got ready for work the next day.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:  I did text DIL and ask if I offended her in any way.  She replied back absolutely not and that she spaced out asking me to the rehearsal and dinner....I am going to accept that.  The wedding did go off just fine and it was beautiful.  I will not be a meddling MIL and I will just leave the explanation at that. 

:thumbup1:

My DH says all the time,  "Take the high road, you'll be glad you did..."  and "Always give people the benefit of the doubt".  (And yes, he says those things all the time because I need to be REMINDED all the time!)

Thanks everyone. I was not told when/where to show up to the rehearsal and yes, there was one according to facebook

Is it possible her only invitation was through facebook and she believes you were invited but now you are a no-show?  I learned this the hard way recently when a good friend's daughter had her open house and I failed to check "events" in facebook and assumed I'd been snubbed.  She later told me she had sent a blanket invitation via facebook and was shocked I hadn't come.

Is it possible her only invitation was through facebook and she believes you were invited but now you are a no-show? I learned this the hard way recently when a good friend's daughter had her open house and I failed to check "events" in facebook and assumed I'd been snubbed. She later told me she had sent a blanket invitation via facebook and was shocked I hadn't come.

I'm on FB every day and I still miss events sometimes. I just don't think to check and if it scrolls off the front page it might not exist to me :-/

:thumbup1:

My DH says all the time,  "Take the high road, you'll be glad you did..."  and "Always give people the benefit of the doubt".  (And yes, he says those things all the time because I need to be REMINDED all the time!)

Most excellent advice IMHO!

I am glad the wedding went very well and you enjoyed yourself. Someone else here wrote that things get a bit crazy and the most obvious gets overlooked. This may have well been the case. There is a lifetime ahead of them - this was just one day in their lives. No reason to let this one incident color all the years to come.

Well you should have!! Just joking - sort of. I think it is really a good thing to write thank-yous for wedding presents. My nephew and nil didn't and I must admit I was sad they didn't. I think part of the problem was that things were disorganised when they opened the gifts and they weren't sure who gave what. I think this is a shame for them because I still enjoy using something we got as a wedding gift and thinking about the person who gave it to me - and that's 17 years later.

We got most of our thank you notes out. I know there were a few that were missed. Items I didn't have an address for and didn't go far enough trying to find the address. And a few that I wasn't sure who they came from.

I forgot, I did send out thank you notes. Even ones for DH's side of the family and his friends. 

My cousin knew me to well and her wedding gift to me was she would collect the present list from the people she arranged to take them and send out nice handwritten thank you notes on my behalf. 

ETA: I think she even send one out to her mother on my behalf. :p

• 10 months later...
Guest sunny1

I'm  in a  similar  situation  as  this  mother of the groom.   I was  under the impression  parents of  groom plan and host  the rehearsal dinner and my  son  asked  us to pay for it.    We   agreed  to pay  for  whatever they want  and  I'm offering to do  some  decorations and  tealights,  etc.   Son informed me  everything  has to  be  approved  by   his   future  wife... okay  I'm  good  with that.   I've  sent her pictures  of  decorations,  tealights,  etc....   to  let her  choose  what  she  likes and  I  get  no response.    Every  question  I  ask  my son  gets  a  vague  response  like " we're  not sure  of the  date of this or  that"   or  " there's  no rush  "   .   I'm not  interfering with  their  wedding plans..   that's  her  and mother's   decision,  but  I  would  to  be  involved  in the   rehearsal  dinner planning...   other  than  just  getting the  bill.   Am  I  way off  base  on this  ?   

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they are sort of 'partying' with their friends who are in the wedding instead of doing the traditional thing. Maybe kicking back after the rehearsal and having a few beers isn't as comfortable with mom around? I'm so sorry your feelings are hurt. That is cruddy.

Oops! Just read the rest of the posts and updates. Good for you! So happy it went great! Now to continue mentioning that eloping is fun to my kids....

I'm in a similar situation as this mother of the groom. I was under the impression parents of groom plan and host the rehearsal dinner and my son asked us to pay for it. We agreed to pay for whatever they want and I'm offering to do some decorations and tealights, etc. Son informed me everything has to be approved by his future wife... okay I'm good with that. I've sent her pictures of decorations, tealights, etc.... to let her choose what she likes and I get no response. Every question I ask my son gets a vague response like " we're not sure of the date of this or that" or " there's no rush " . I'm not interfering with their wedding plans.. that's her and mother's decision, but I would to be involved in the rehearsal dinner planning... other than just getting the bill. Am I way off base on this ?

You are not off base at all. I did not let my DIL in on any of the rehearsal dinner plans. It was my party and my money. In retrospect, I should have as the rehearsal dinner was way more fancy and elaborate than the reception. It looked tacky like I was trying to out do the bride's family. You should get at least 6 to 8 week leeway to plan this event. Start telling the bride you need a date, wedding venue (so you can plan your event close) and actual time of rehearsal. Then just do what you want. As for numbers, plan #of grandparents, parents and stepparents, brothers and sisters,one and a half times the number in the wedding party (for spouses and girlfriends). Then decide if you want all the out of town guests invited, too. My DS did, so we had about 80 to 100 attend the rehearsal dinner which I had in my backyard. Out of town guests can quadruple your guest list and budget so be careful, as you know.

Obviously, it would be better if the bride communicated better with her own plans, but if she is a slacker do not let it make your own party look hodge podge.

Zombie thread..... Mmmmm braaiiinns...off to mow the lawn now. :)

Welcome to our homeschooling community forum, sunni1. I would start sending hose bills back to future dil, stating that this dinner sounds like their own party and not the rehearsal dinner, therefore she is responsible for the bill. She must not understand that she is marrying into the family, not just her future husband. Sometimes it takes a young bride awhile to get this figured out; hopefully she will catch on very soon.

Guest sunny1

thanks  so much  to  everyone  who  replied...  I  guess  they're   more  into  pleasing  their  friends  than  the  Mother of  the  groom...   lonely out here  for  a  mother  of the  groom.. hard  to know where you fit  in  ...  never  had  any  problems  with my  son  before  this...  we've  had  a wonderful  relationaship up to now.    they're  both  nice people..  but   they  are hurting my feelings   by leaving me out of  everything...   good  to  vent   ..  and  hear   your  advice...    thanks !