Menu

I hate it when that happens (going into a room and forgetting why you are there)

Luanne

This morning I went into the kitchen twice. I couldn't remember either time why I was there so I just went on with my day. I got to where I was going to eat my lunch (not at home) and realized I didn't put a spoon in my lunch. The mangos I just dumped out into my mouth. The egg salad wasn't so easy. I ended up eating that with my hand. I was glad I had several napkins along anyway. :o

My family has patiently turned it into a guessing game.

Me [walking into the kitchen]: Why am I here?

Kid: To feed the cat?

Me: No.

Husband: Start the marinade?

Me: No, but that's a good idea.

Kid: You wanted to measure the pantry shelves.

Me: Yes! That's it!

Sadly, somebody usually gets it within three guesses.

Happens to me all the time. Sometimes I walk into rooms and leave things there and come back and can't figure out why, for example, there is an opened can of tomato paste on the countertop in my bathroom. I really think. I'm losing it sometimes.

Dh read an article once that blamed it on doorways. As long as you don't pass into another (enclosed) room, you can keep your task in mind. Once the scenery changes to a new room, your brain resets and forgets what it was thinking. So now I keep repeating the word over and over to help me not forget as soon as I walk into the pantry.

Dh read an article once that blamed it on doorways. As long as you don't pass into another (enclosed) room, you can keep your task in mind. Once the scenery changes to a new room, your brain resets and forgets what it was thinking. So now I keep repeating the word over and over to help me not forget as soon as I walk into the pantry.

At last I have a reason for this happening to me!! I am normal!!!!

Yes, this morning I wandered around knowing that I forgot something, but I couldn't remember what. When I finally sat down again I remembered.

When this happens, I find it helpful to go back to where you were before you went on your forgotten mission. I hate feeling old and I'm still in my 30's. lol

My mother says that when we go senile no one will ever know. We've always been forgetful. My 88-year old grandmother, however, remembers everything. We accuse her and my grandfather of using up all of the memory for generations. Those two just never forgot anything. It's very annoying.

I had my forgetful moment today too. DS and I decided at the last minute to go for a swim at the YMCA. We quickly put our suits on, packed our bags and left. I had this funny feeling trying to think if I had remembered everything. We had a great swim, great shower, and then I go to get dressed....I forgot to bring a shirt! ACK! :scared: :banghead: I tried to dry off my modest suit top while I was wearing it by standing under the hand dryer. It didn't work so well. :001_rolleyes: Gah! Couldn't believe I did that! :sneaky2:

I do this all. the. time. At first it worried me, but then I noticed that it began only after I had kids. I really think that because moms have SO much stuff to remember that our brain usually remembers the most important things, but pushes the rest out LOL.

Yes, this morning I wandered around knowing that I forgot something, but I couldn't remember what. When I finally sat down again I remembered.

When this happens, I find it helpful to go back to where you were before you went on your forgotten mission. I hate feeling old and I'm still in my 30's. lol

This. 99% of the time, if I go back to where I started, I remember what I was supposed to do.

I (and my family) discovered the answer to this conundrum in a Bill Cosby comedy video, of all places.

Anyway, the premise is that you are sitting, think of something, get up to go do it, forget what it was, go back to sit, then remember again. So, to trick your brain into remembering without having to re-sit - just push on your bum!! :lol: Believe it or not, it seems to work. I'm sure it's just a matter of re-focusing and not the actual push on the cheek that helps, but whatever - it works.

When witnessing other people experiencing the same affliction, we've been know to helpfully blurt out "just push on your bum." :laugh:

ETA: I also recommend watch Bill Cosby's comedy routines. VERY funny (and even a little helpful ;) ).

I (and my family) discovered the answer to this conundrum in a Bill Cosby comedy video, of all places.

Anyway, the premise is that you are sitting, think of something, get up to go do it, forget what it was, go back to sit, then remember again. So, to trick your brain into remembering without having to re-sit - just push on your bum!! :lol: Believe it or not, it seems to work. I'm sure it's just a matter of re-focusing and not the actual push on the cheek that helps, but whatever - it works.

When witnessing other people experiencing the same affliction, we've been know to helpfully blurt out "just push on your bum." :laugh:

ETA: I also recommend watch Bill Cosby's comedy routines. VERY funny (and even a little helpful ;) ).

Haha, funny! But, yes, I will try it, if it saves me a trip back. Lol