Menu

Help me find comfortable bras, please. :-)

amo_mea_filiis.

I went bra shopping last night and at the urging of a friend kept going up in cup size and was shocked! Lol. I got 2 that fit but they're not the most comfortable. I've worn basic sports bras for years.

The most uncomfortable part is the wire digging in my ribs when I sit, and the wire seems to come up really high on the outside. This was the only style in my size so I got them.

What should I be looking for?

I went bra shopping last night and at the urging of a friend kept going up in cup size and was shocked! Lol. I got 2 that fit but they're not the most comfortable. I've worn basic sports bras for years.

The most uncomfortable part is the wire digging in my ribs when I sit, and the wire seems to come up really high on the outside. This was the only style in my size so I got them.

What should I be looking for?

For me, this usually means that the band size is too big. It digs into me because it slips out of place when I sit, not because it's too tight. That may be your problem. Bras are tough to figure out sometimes.

I just ordered a couple of Coobie Bras. I was skeptical because I usually like more of an underwire for the support even though I seldom find them comfortable. I've had the Coobies maybe a month now and I really, really like them. I was at the very top of the range for the "one size" and it fits great. They now have a bigger size as well. I was super-skeptical but they were cheap enough to try and I'm really glad I did. Definitely the most comfortably bra I've ever owned and I feel actually supported.

I found that ordering direct from Coobie was the cheapest. They are often having a special or you can google around for a coupon code.

First, I would suggest going to a "nice" store and getting fitted for a bra. I was surprised when I did this - I had apparently been wearing the wrong size for years. If you would feel uncomfortable with that you can google for how to do it yourself at home, but it is kind of a pain.

Second, I really like barely there bras. They have some really nice pullover styles that still have decent support (not as much as underwire bras, but certainly more than sports bras) as well as underwire styles.

For me, this usually means that the band size is too big. It digs into me because it slips out of place when I sit, not because it's too tight. That may be your problem. Bras are tough to figure out sometimes.

One band down is too tight, and they didn't have band down cup up.

It seems I'm fitting around 38DD. Some 38D seemed to fit. 40 was HUGE, 36 is too tight.

I did find one more at Kmart without underwire.

I don't mind having someone else measure as long as they know what they're doing!

But, I don't currently have access to anything beyond Walmart and Kmart.

You can order any size online.

The band should feel quite snug on the largest hooks. As you wear it, it will stretch out. Then you will need to tighten it down so that it isn't too loose.

Pokey underwires for me mean the cups are too small. I have widely spaced b00ks. The cups should reach all the way to the middle of the armpit, to catch all that extra stuff over on the sides.

I go to the outlet Bali store. They carry several brands, many, many styles and all the sizes. Get sized and try on everything. A wire won't hurt if the bra is the correct cut for you. Just like clothing not only does the size have to be correct but so does the style. It's worth taking the time to find what you like. Then buy 6. ;)

I was fitted at Nordstrom years ago and my size was not at all what I thought it was. I am large chested and she had my band way smaller than I had been using and a much larger cup size. Key was the wires would touch the skin between my breasts if a perfect fit. It took awile to get one to fit and I was shocked at the size! not something I could just buy anywhere. However, while I get the theory of a tight band holding the girls up and not the straps on my shoulders it was too tight by day's end and I was finding myself adjusting the size when I bought more....larger band, less of a cup to be more comfortable but then I lost that wire against the skin thing and sure enough it hurt again.

I read an article a few months ago about French scientists who studied women and bras and found that the cause of back pain in most women was their wrong bra size. They found not wearing a bra(even large chested women) actually kept the girls more perky...a few mm of improvement for the group that stopped wearing bras. This intrigued me. So I started wearing a tank top underneath my tshirts. Not even a shelf tank top, just a tank top. Sure enough, my shoulder/back pain went away! And since I tuck that tank top into my pants it holds my middle in better LOL. I do still put on a bra for certain shirts/dresses. But my day to day is a tank and tshirt. No bra. My back feels better, and no one has said anything about my boobs. Dh says it looks fine and if anything he likes it better. Kids hated the wire in the bra when they hugged me. So for me, the answer was to stop wearing one. I do have a stretch sports bra for running. :-D

I hated bras for years. I broke down and went for a fitting about 6 or 7 years ago and I've never been sorry. They are comfortable and I look good. Those poor old girls looks pert. I recommend it to my friends. They are pricy so I have two and hand wash with special soap so they last a year or more.Go!

My size can't found in any regular store. Very few bras in my size come without underwire, but my body is shaped wrong for underwire and they always end up leaving me with bruises.

This is the one that I get:

http://www.petticoatfair.com/shop/product.php?productid=17854&page=1

They are expensive, but all bras in my size are expensive. I buy 4 at a time and handwash them. They generally last me about one year.

I've been hoping to do a reduction surgery for the past couple of years, but things have always come up to push it off again. I'm really hoping to be able to get a reduction next summer.

If you prefer a sports type bra then you might like

http://decentexposures.com/Bras/

I bought one of their nursing bras and it was wonderful. I have a couple friends who absolutely swear by decent exposure bras. Some are larger sized and some are on the smaller. One is very sensitive to things being binding or uncomfortable.

edited to add: as far as I know they don't use underwire

here's a great description of measuring http://www.reddit.co...g_as_it/c469bi0

There are also many helpful sidebar links that you will want to peruse, like spotting a poor fit and FAQ's

I read this and it was very interesting! I have a 9" difference between my two measurements. No wonder nothing fits be right. I came up with a US size of 34I. How do you shop for that? I was looking online at brastop, but I am afraid to buy something I can't try on.

Find a company that has a good return policy. Order a few different styles and similar sizes. Return whatever doesn't fit. Wash, rinse, repeat.

When I first measured myself, I was wearing a 36A. I measured a 32G. What!?! I tried on some things and fit a 34 D-DD. Relatively easy to find. But I think I tried on at least 6 bras before I found one I liked.

I read this and it was very interesting! I have a 9" difference between my two measurements. No wonder nothing fits be right. I came up with a US size of 34I. How do you shop for that? I was looking online at brastop, but I am afraid to buy something I can't try on.

That is the size I am by measurement, but I actually wear a 36I. This is the one that I wear:

That is the size I am by measurement, but I actually wear a 36I. This is the one that I wear:

Do you buy the larger band in all your bras or just the style you linked? I like the one you linked and wondering if it runs small.

I would love to be measured properly, but I do not have a Nordstrom near me. I was "fitted" just two days ago. The gal measured for my band size under my armpits. That measurement is 4" different than the measurement under my bust.