Menu

Do you obey laws/rules?

Laura Corin

Obeying laws/rules  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you follow the laws of the country/state/county?

• I obey all laws to the best of my ability
    • I obey most laws, but there are some I ignore
    • I pick and choose
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you obey the rules of the institution?

• I obey all the rules to the best of my ability
    • I obey most rules, but there are some I ignore
    • I pick and choose
    • Other

I follow most rules and laws. I'm more apt to follow the rules of a private institution very carefully because I can chose not to go into that institution if I disagree with their rules. Rules made by our government (local, state, fed) are a bit more iffy sometimes for me. I think the govt. on the whole has far overstepped its boundaries in so many ways, and I also feel some of the decisions/laws have been either amoral or immoral.

As for driving, I 'go with the flow" of traffic and tend to not go more than about 8 mph over the limit on a highway. I'm very careful in town and in school zones and residential areas, though.

For an institution, I obey all rules to the best of my ability. If I'm not willing to do that, then I simply don't join the particular institution in question.

The only law I can think of that I don't always obey is the speed limit. In towns and neighborhoods, I obey the speed limit in all cases. On the interstate, sometimes I exceed the speed limit, but that is generally during high traffic times when everyone else is speeding. I'm not following the "if everyone else is doing it, it must be ok" line of thought. I'm doing it because drivers around here can have serious road rage. I would rather exceed the speed limit by 5 mph and risk a ticket than be a victim of that road rage. It may not be the right thing to do, but it's an honest answer.

I'm a rule-follower. I'm not somehow special, and there's no reason I should be an exception.

As for the speeding, people who drive over the speed limit drive me insane. The door for our unit in our duplex comes out onto a busy alley. The speed limit is supposed to be something like ten or fifteen miles per hour, but everyone goes flying down it at thirty or forty. There's no way they'd be able to stop if a child or a pet ran into the alley. Speeding might be convenient, but it's not worth putting someone else's life at risk. Same with talking on the phone or texting while driving- every time I see someone doing that, I want to drag them out of their vehicle and scream at them for a good hour or two. I don't know how many times I've almost been hit by someone who then blew past, unaware, blabbing on their cell.

And while I'm venting about traffic safety, people who refuse to stop for pedestrians also make me flip my sh**. Dd and I walk everywhere in the summer, and we have to cross a busy four-lane road. We always cross in the crosswalk, but somehow people think it's okay to try to run us down. If someone does stop for us, inevitably the person behind them swerves around them and then almost hits us. We've even been nearly hit by cops who won't stop, even though we're in the crosswalk.

*breathes* Okay, I think I'm done now. :p

For people who say that they will sometimes drive over the speed limit on a highway or the interstate, why is simply driving in the right late not an option? I live in one of the worst states for traffic, but if you're going slower than the general speed, it's perfectly fine to just ride in the right lane, since you can be passed in at least one (often 2 or 3) other lanes. In fact, there are signs everywhere that say "Keep right except to pass" (which plenty of people ignore anyway, grrr.)

I'm a rule-follower. I'm not somehow special, and there's no reason I should be an exception.

As for the speeding, people who drive over the speed limit drive me insane. The door for our unit in our duplex comes out onto a busy alley. The speed limit is supposed to be something like ten or fifteen miles per hour, but everyone goes flying down it at thirty or forty. There's no way they'd be able to stop if a child or a pet ran into the alley. Speeding might be convenient, but it's not worth putting someone else's life at risk. Same with talking on the phone or texting while driving- every time I see someone doing that, I want to drag them out of their vehicle and scream at them for a good hour or two. I don't know how many times I've almost been hit by someone who then blew past, unaware, blabbing on their cell. :p

Have you ever read (or seen) The World According to Garp? I do admit to driving over the speed limit on highways and major roads, but I never understood Garp's impulse to physically chase down speeding drivers on local roads until we had kids and moved into this neighborhood. It's gotten better over the last few years as more young families have moved in, but when we first moved here, there were a few drivers who would regularly zoom through our sleepy little neighborhood at like, 40 miles an hour. It made me see red :cursing:

I get to know the laws and the ticketing practices of each area I move to and adjust accordingly. I drive taking into account things like speed limit, weather, road conditions, school buses, pedestrians, etc. In this state and most, I don't go above the speed limit to the extent to trigger more than just a fine. When I lived on an island in Florida, one town was super strict and very enforcement minded (made a lot of money for their town), so I never went above the speed limit there.

Laura Corin, in areas like Washington DC, the speed limit on the highway is too low, especially for the traffic load. SO the speed will be 55mph and everyone will be travelling 65 or 70, if they can. That allows for more cars on the road,. If some jerk decides to get into the left lane and go 55, huge traffic jams occur. Years ago there was a jerk who wrote into the Washington Post and bragged about how he did this. I think in about twenty years these problems will largely disappear as we move to automatic cars that can speed around fast since no human is driving.

I live rural, and people always flash for animals near the road. I've never flashed because of a policeman.

Around here, lots of people flash lights to warn that there's a police officer ahead, as well as for safety issues. It's generally taken as advice to slow down and be careful. Many people will flash back a thank you.

In the case I cited, it truly was a safety issue. Regardless of the fact that there was a checkpoint, just around that curve (which has a 45mph speed limit), there was a line of cars at a dead stop. I still maintain that it could have been disastrous.

I speed. I've never gotten a ticket so I must be staying within the police's unofficial speed limit or there's so much traffic all going 10 miles over the posted limit that they'll only stop the muscle cars.

I order off the children's menu for GW if there's nothing he'll eat on the adult menu. TBH, waiters know I'm doing this but none has ever minded since his disability is noticeable.

I take empty plastic glasses and paper bags (to divvy up the popcorn) to movie theaters and sports events. This isn't actually against the rules, because I've had my bag searched and they allowed me to take in the stuff.

I'm also a rule follower. In fact, after reading this thread, I think the biggest rule that I break is that I may bring my own box of candy into the movie theater, every two years that we actually go to the theater. I'm sure there are others, but generally I try and follow rules.

LOL - I was thinking I was a rule follower, but we have had healthier snacks in my purse for the movie theater and I openly carry in a water bottle everywhere. We do usually buy popcorn when we go to the theater! That is really common here, so I doubt anyone would ever try to take a water bottle away. I also have a few places where bikes should be walked, where I'll stay on my bike if I'm not contending with peds and traffic. So, wow, I'm really a rebel!

On occasion, my 75 lb soaking wet small 12 year old has ordered off a kid's menu at a restaurant. Although, if a waiter said something, we would change our order. He mostly does prefer the adult menu now, but he's not a big eater by any stretch.

I've been driving my kid to a camp across town for the last week and a half. There is a bunch of construction and the drive is horrendous for the 7 miles it is (a good 30 minutes to get there usually). I'm just shocked at how rude and selfish (and disregarding the laws of the road) so many drivers are! And people who speed recklessly and ignore crosswalks drive me nuts! We live in the city and peds are everywhere. We know people who've been hit. Scary stuff.

Laura Corin, in areas like Washington DC, the speed limit on the highway is too low, especially for the traffic load. SO the speed will be 55mph and everyone will be travelling 65 or 70, if they can. That allows for more cars on the road,. If some jerk decides to get into the left lane and go 55, huge traffic jams occur. Years ago there was a jerk who wrote into the Washington Post and bragged about how he did this. I think in about twenty years these problems will largely disappear as we move to automatic cars that can speed around fast since no human is driving.

That's interesting. There are certainly lots of people who speed in the UK. And also some very busy roads (the M25 around London, for example) but I've never heard it suggested that we should all break the speed limit to avoid traffic jams. It just hasn't come up.

You talked about going slowly in the left lane: going slowly in the 'overtaking' lanes is definitely disapproved of here. But so is overtaking on both sides. So there's a strict lane - overtaking lane - other overtaking lane discipline on three-lane motorways. Not that some people don't get it wrong, but in general the lane discipline is pretty good. So it works fine to travel at 60 in a 70mph zone, because you stay in the 'slow' lane and people overtake you.

L

That's interesting. There are certainly lots of people who speed in the UK. And also some very busy roads (the M25 around London, for example) but I've never heard it suggested that we should all break the speed limit to avoid traffic jams. It just hasn't come up.

You talked about going slowly in the left lane: going slowly in the 'overtaking' lanes is definitely disapproved of here. But so is overtaking on both sides. So there's a strict lane - overtaking lane - other overtaking lane discipline on three-lane motorways. Not that some people don't get it wrong, but in general the lane discipline is pretty good. So it works fine to travel at 60 in a 70mph zone, because you stay in the 'slow' lane and people overtake you.

L

I'll give an example from my life. My dad is now a speed limit driver. Which is great, except when traffic is going ~80mph (so 25 over posted), and he needs to take a left exit to get on the other highway he wants. 5 lanes across, going over left, thinking everyone should be going the speed limit... He is not appreciated. He makes jokes about people "waving" at him, and doesn't realize how dangerous it is, I think.

I'm pretty sure the law about not being a hindrance on the highway does not apply to speeding like that, though. It is a fun way to justify to oneself keeping up with the flow of traffic, but there are many lanes.

FWIW, people in different cities have very different driving expecations. I remember living in Chicago and learning the concept of a "soft red". If the light was just newly red, you could still go through - and if you DIDN'T, the people behind you might ram you (expect you to) and/or they cuss you out.

Just because an institution makes a "rule" doesn't make it a law. You don't always have to follow the rule and you aren't "bad" because you don't.

Some institutions make rules that aren't exactly legal-- like an adult ordering off the child menu-- that isn't a law and the money/food exchange is the same, so technically you are choosing to follow the rule, but the rule isn't really legal. Could a child order off of the adult menu? Yes! the reverse should be true--- this is just a rule and makes people fall in line like sheep to the benefit of the institution. Now they can make you leave if you don't follow the rule.....

So I guess I temper my "rule" following based on if the rule is just to "keep me in line" or if it is harming others/myself/ the institution.

I hate unjustified rules that make me feel like a sheeple. This is why I don't live in an area with an HOA. What is it any business of yours what color my roof tiles are???

I also get VERY angry at institutions that legally break the rules. Like watering restrictions during a drought that causes everyone to have dead grass--- except the golf course. They are exempt-- because we will need golf courses as much as drinking water this summer.

I'll give an example from my life. My dad is now a speed limit driver. Which is great, except when traffic is going ~80mph (so 25 over posted), and he needs to take a left exit to get on the other highway he wants. 5 lanes across, going over left, thinking everyone should be going the speed limit... He is not appreciated. He makes jokes about people "waving" at him, and doesn't realize how dangerous it is, I think.

I think that this is a difference in traffic system design. I remember having to exit freeways on the 'fast' side (left to you) in the US and it was terrifying. As far as I have experienced, you always leave motorways in the UK on the 'slow' side (left to us). The exit/slip road will then curve round under or over the motorway, in a tunnel or a bridge, in order to take its proper direction if necessary.

L

Die--hard beaver, here. I dutifully do what the sign says in 99% of the cases. :laugh: The only thing that springs to mind is that I bring my kids their own smuggled snacks in a movie theater because I will NOT pay the absurd prices for the same darn thing. I also staged a rebellion at an amusement park when they were unwilling to let me enter with my own water to drink. (I was successful one time; I was pregnant. It didn't work when I was not pregnant. They made me pour it out! :cursing: )

For the sake of complete honesty, I do speed with regularity, so that is a law I ignore. There is one road in particular that I cannot understand why it is 30 mph when just a little farther ahead, it is 50 mph. Everything is the same about these roads, but on one side of the intersection, it's 30 and on the other, it's 50. I don't get it. I regularly drive over 30. That is just too darn slow.

I hate unjustified rules that make me feel like a sheeple. This is why I don't live in an area with an HOA. What is it any business of yours what color my roof tiles are???

ITA with this. I don't live in an HOA area, either, and that is a very major reason why. Nobody is going to tell me I can't keep chickens because it doesn't fit in with the neighborhood or I can't have a camper parked there because it's unsightly or whatever. No. Freakin. Way.

ITA with this. I don't live in an HOA area, either, and that is a very major reason why. Nobody is going to tell me I can't keep chickens because it doesn't fit in with the neighborhood or I can't have a camper parked there because it's unsightly or whatever. No. Freakin. Way.

I wish I could have chickens. I don't live in an HOA, but there is a city ordinance stating that you have to have an acre of land per chicken. Basically, you can't keep chickens. :(

This. I gave my realtor fits when we were house hunting. I insisted on no HOA, and most of the neighborhoods around here have them. I refuse to sign a contract saying that some group of neighbors can put a lean on my house because I don't have the same mailbox as they do. Not. Happening.

As far as speeding to go with the flow. It feels dangerous in my area not to speed to stay with the flow of traffic. When I pop on the interstate, the speed limit is 70. I stay in the far right (slow lane) and still end up at 75-80 mph with cars whipping past. If I go the speed limit, it isn't long before some idiot is right on my bumper and looks caught unaware that I am going the limit. When it's a little car, that doesn't scare me as much, but when it's an 18-wheeler it scares me. The trucks here also aren't allowed to use the far left lane, so many times I'm jumping over to let the huge, speeding truck get past me. In case anyone is wondering, I avoid the interstate as much as possible and use the back roads.

ETA: I googled most dangerous interstates, I-95 here in Florida seems to pop up everywhere.

I wish I could have chickens. I don't live in an HOA, but there is a city ordinance stating that you have to have an acre of land per chicken. Basically, you can't keep chickens.
See? That is such a stupid law. Because chickens need so much land to roam? Absurd. I have to say I agree with Joel Salatin, who says he wishes everybody would keep two chickens - there would be no need for factory egg farms.