Menu

Chapter books for 6 year old at 3 to 4th grade reading level

My son is 6 and never stops reading. Need some recommendations for stuff that would be at a 3rd or 4 th grade level but not to mature subject wise. Some of the stuff he has read recently is

Geraniomo Stilton

Ramona books

Horrible Harry

Magic tree house

Stink

Horrid Henry

Cam Jansen

My fathers dragon series

My weird school

I just bought boxcar children, encyclopedia brown, and hank zipper to try too.

I used http://www.sonlight.com/readers-3.html and also the 4th grade reading lists to choose books for my DD.

Dick King Smith has a number of early readers at about that level.

Enid Blyton

Maybe try some of the other Beverley Cleary Books - Henry Huggins, Mouse and the Motorcyle, Socks etc

The Littles series

Roald Dahl

EB White - Charlotte's Web, Trumpet of the Swan, Stuart Little

Your DS may or may not move to a higher level of reading pretty quickly so check the higher level books also.

The Indian in the Cupboard

Superfudge and its series (Judy Blume)

The Hardy Boys

The Wizard of Oz and its sequels

Also don't forget non-fiction books - because of the vocabulary in these books he may need them at a slightly lower reading level than what he reads for fiction.

My DS6 is at exactly the same place, and he's read most of the books you listed. Recently he's also enjoyed on his own:

Jigsaw Jones series

Andrew Lost series

Junie B. Jones series

Franny K. Stein series

Dragonslayer's Academy series

Cam Jansen series

Max Archer, Kid Detective

Clementine

Judy Moody series (Stink's big sister)

I like having him go through a series, because it makes it easier to just grab the next stack at the library. :)

Books that we've read together (most of which he's gone back and reread himself):

Pippi Longstocking

The Wizard of Oz (we listened to on Librivox)

Half Magic by Edward Eager

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Dr. Doolittle

Paddington Bear series

I second Sideways Stories. My 5 year old is the same and he loves it! My son likes PeeWee Scouts. They are as short or shorter than Magic Tree House so he goes through one in less than an hour. The stories are just right for his emotional state right now.

You've had some great suggestions so far. Some other series books he might enjoy:

A to Z Mysteries

Capital Mysteries

Animal Ark books (the characters are middle schoolers, but there's no inappropriate content)

Puppy Place

Kitty Corner

Imagination Station (Magic Treehouse-like, with Christian content)

Cul de Sac Kids (Christian content)

Bunnicula and its companion books

My animal-loving 6 year old enjoys books by Thornton Burgess and Arthur Bailey Scott (can get kindle versions for free). He also loves Dick King Smith books (as previously mentioned) and books by Bill Peet.

I can't thank you enough for the tip about Thornton Burgess free on Kindle! Our library had the whole set and gave them away! My son was so sad. You made our day! :hurray:

Last year, when she was a 6 yo 1st grader, my DD read these:

James and the Giant Peach

Doctor Doolittle

Little House books - the first four

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

Pick of the Litter

Anna Hibiscus

The Courage of Sarah Noble

Owls in the Family

Angus and Sadie

Caddie Woodlawn

Sarah, Plain and Tall

Skylark

The Odyssey by Mary Pope Osborne

The Year of Miss Agnes

In Grandma's Attic

The Tale of Despereaux

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

Winnie the Pooh

I can't thank you enough for the tip about Thornton Burgess free on Kindle! Our library had the whole set and gave them away! My son was so sad. You made our day! :hurray:

If he likes Thornton Burgess, be sure to check out Arthur Bailey Scott's free books on the kindle. They have very similar writing styles and they are all about adventures of animals.

He might like some of Carolyn Haywood's books. It's been years since I read them, but I think Penny is about 6 years old. If he doesn't mind stories where the main character is a girl, I really enjoyed her books about Betsy.

Penny and Peter was a big hit with my 4 and 8yo boys recently! Also, she has books about a boy named Eddie.

Other Beverly Cleary books (besides Ramona) -- Henry Huggins/Ribsy, Ralph S. Mouse series, Otis Spofford, etc.

My 8yo is flying through Matt Christopher's Soccer Cats series and also loves Laurie Calkhoven's Boys of Wartime series (I think I mention those books a couple of times a week here, LOL).

Eleanor Estes has some that might appeal to boys -- Ginger Pye, the Moffats series. . .

Jon Scieszka's Time Warp Trio books too.

Has anyone said Little House on the Prairie and its series? My early readers went through books 1-7 when they were that age. Farmer Boy was a big hit - if books about girls aren't favorites, that one is great for boys.

The Narnia books would be good either now or soon.

The Hobbit

For a girl, I'd suggest the Betsy, Tacy, Tib books. I don't think my boys would read those, though.

Roald Dahl books