Menu

Doctor Who news

Word Nerd

You don't think that has been addressed by River handing over her regeneration energy?

Yup. That's covered. The Doctor can regenerate a bunch more times.

I agree that the actors in Doctor Who need to stop looking like models. The Doctor should not be a young smooth-faced boy. Where is the craggy-faced man burdened with unbearable pain and responsibility?

David Tennant was able to crinkle up his face and look upset or angry when he needed to. Matt's face doesn't crinkle or emote the same way. Matt will cup peoples faces with his hands and pet their hair and tenderly care for them--that was his schtick. But I want the expressive, lined, tormented face back.

I didn't like Amy and I don't like Clara because there's no way on any planet in any time that I could sit and have a chat with either of them. Gosh, Clara was so obnoxious in the episode with the kids where they found the hiding emperor--so bossy and condescending to everyone--I could barely stand watching her. So smug. Amy was smug, too. Whoevere created these companions (Moffatt? Dunno) must have the most smug, self-satisfied women in his/her life. Where is someone we can relate to?

I could eat some chips with Rose and shoot the breeze with Martha and tell funny stories with Donna. But Amy and Clara--nuthin'. I got nuthin' in common with those two.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the actors in Doctor Who need to stop looking like models. The Doctor should not be a young smooth-faced boy. Where is the craggy-faced man burdened with unbearable pain and responsibility?

David Tennant was able to crinkle up his face and look upset or angry when he needed to. Matt's face doesn't crinkle or emote the same way. Matt will cup peoples faces with his hands and pet their hair and tenderly care for them--that was his schtick. But I want the expressive, lined, tormented face back.

Maybe we should amazon-ship the storyrunner a copy of The Giver.

YES! Too polished and too self-aware. Too hip. Bows are cool should have been a one show joke that spun into fandom and should not have been referenced again. Where did the normal looking people go. "Raggedy Man"? Ugh. No more feisty, clever and sexy companions for awhile please (Amy and Clara should not have been back to back). And please, ditch the quick paced "clever" dialogue for a while and let peole talk to each like people really talk to each.

Sigh. It all male me long for Donna.

I agree. The two models in a row are just too much. Dh even commented about it-is he specifically picking out the prettiest girls in a 100 mile radius? And not that Donna et al weren't pretty, but they were REAL pretty, not modeled pretty with professional makeup and designer wardrobes. Heck, look at Rose's clothes and smeary makeup for the first couple seasons! It made it more real and personal. And really, David Tennant perfected turmoil and pain in his expressions. Matt just looks...blank or happy, possibly slightly brooding, but that's about it. And I would like there to be a break from so many THE UNIVERSE IS ENDING episodes in a row. Major tragedy, normal for the show. Paradoxes ending the universe or whatever? A little tedious when it's continuous. Let them save some poor deserted aliens or whatever.

Oh and I started watching The Fall. NO WAY could Dornan be the Doctor. Not after that. I will never get him out of my head as anything other than a super creepy serial killer now!

She wasn't immediately presented as that type, she was initially just Donna and we loved her because of that.

I didn't! I could not stand her for the first few episodes and momentarily considered skipping over the rest of her run as companion because I didn't think I could get over how annoying her character was. I'm so glad I didn't, as she ended up one of my favorites.

I couldn't stand Donna at first, she is possibly my favorite companion ever now. I didn't really like Amy but Amy/Rory worked and I loved it. Clara I don't know, she just feels like Amy 2.0 with a bit of Donna mixed in. I just don't like her much. Slight casting spoiler:

it looks like she has been confirmed for series 8 along with Moffat, I really hope they get a good doctor to pull that situation off.

YES! Too polished and too self-aware. Too hip. Bows are cool should have been a one show joke that spun into fandom and should not have been referenced again. Where did the normal looking people go. "Raggedy Man"? Ugh. No more feisty, clever and sexy companions for awhile please (Amy and Clara should not have been back to back). And please, ditch the quick paced "clever" dialogue for a while and let peole talk to each like people really talk to each.

Sigh. It all male me long for Donna.

I agree. We haven't finished watching this season yet, but we're pretty disappointed. I had hopes for Clara, but am disappointed. I think it's her "know it all" attitude. I miss Donna too... I always wished that her grandfather had been the next companion. I hated the way they ended her companionship.

The Doctor has lost his campyness. But it shouldn't be surprising. Look what has happened to Star Trek franchise. Sigh. I think I'm going to put a Pertwee episode onto my queue.

The Doctor has lost his campyness. But it shouldn't be surprising. Look what has happened to Star Trek franchise. Sigh. I think I'm going to put a Pertwee episode onto my queue.

DD the Elder is cruising through Tom Baker with her father, but they've just gone over to a friend's (with wall o' Who) to pick up his Pertwee discs. We may follow up by rewatching Worzel Gummidge.

DH is not happy with the last two Smith series, though he did manage to make it through.

Now that would be very distracting but I have never seen him in anything where he acted even slightly silly.

And I don't necessarily love seasons where the companion is in love with The Doctor. A companion not falling in love with Richard Armitage is almost unrealistic.

"That's interesting about the aliens Doctor but could you take your shirt off?

"Doctor could you stand by this window and brood a bit?"

"Oh no Doctor, I will run behind you, I insist."

"Doctor, would you mind trying on this cravat?"

HaHAhahahahahaha!! So true!

As much as I love Neil Gaiman and I would love to have him have relatively free reign as a writer for an episode or two a year I don't think he would be great as a show runner for the simple fact that his plots tend to be very dark and while an occasional dark episode is fine Doctor Who needs the light heartedness mixed in there too.

Can we make Gaiman do it with Terry Pratchett? Just for one season?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still missing Christopher Eccleston as 9, who was so full of absolute glee at being presented with a dangerous mystery that he had to work out. And he always felt like he was in control of the situation. That was one of my complaints of how 11 was written - too often he seemed clueless and it felt like he was being rescued by his companions.

Add me to the list who won't be too sad to see Matt go, but I'd much rather see Moffat go. I would have been willing to see what 11 would have been like with a better writer. Moffat's stories had too many intriguing ideas that were never fleshed out, too many plots resolved with reset buttons, and not nearly enough character development for my taste.

I keep seeing Domhnall Gleeson's name coming up in all the rumor sites. I've only ever seen him as Bill Weasley in the HP movies, but he might be fun--a ginger, too.

I think he is about to hit big in the movies. He's got a big romantic comedy coming out this winter and a few others are in post production. He's going to have a very busy 2014. I am not sure how he is going to fit in Doctor Who.

Anything is possible, of course, but if I were him, I'd be very happy about where my movie career was going.

I think he is about to hit big in the movies. He's got a big romantic comedy coming out this winter and a few others are in post production. He's going to have a very busy 2014. I am not sure how he is going to fit in Doctor Who.

Anything is possible, of course, but if I were him, I'd be very happy about where my movie career was going.

Yeah, it's pretty unlikely that any of the rumors (or rumours) are true. Fun to speculate, though!