Menu

Complete Elementary Programs in 6 Years/levels. Lets list them.

Hunter

Why would you term MM as "a K-8 program that can be compacted into 6 years"? It is just a 6 year program; it doesn't even have a K year.

I can understand the possibility of compacting MEP Reception-Y8 into 6 years.

I don't really understand the compacting thing but

I can understand the possibility of compacting MEP Reception-Y8 into 6 years.

MEP y1-6 (+/- reception) is sort of independent from y7-9; I think it's not necessary for those who did the primary program and is generally used by those who start later.

I don't own MM. I was just going by what I HEARD about the old light blue series.

I would just like to list the programs where k-8 is compacted into 6 years/levels, and program that run on 3/6 year rotations. My question focuses on scheduling, not pedagogy (if that is the right word).

MEP y1-6 (+/- reception) is sort of independent from y7-9; I think it's not necessary for those who did the primary program and is generally used by those who start later.

Thanks for the explanation, Stripe.

Everyone, I'm just curious about scheduling, for people that are looking to compact, catch up, or even year round homeschoolers who want to just stretch out a 6 year year program into 9 years, but want to complete all of a level of each subject, before starting the next level. I'm just looking at easy scheduling.

Maybe it's a dumb question, although I don't believe in dumb questions. Whatever! I asked it anyway. Humor me. I'm just curious.

(Totally off-topic - sorry, Hunter.)

This was debated on the MEP Yahoo group recently, and I agreed with the person who said that it was necessary to do the Express track of Y7-9 before a normal student would be ready for the GCSE. Of course, I have no experience with the higher levels; it's just that having seen the scope of MEP Y6, I think I agree with her conclusion that only if a student is going to do all of GCSE (Standard + Academic + Express tracks) then the student can go directly from Y6 to GCSE.

I don't own MM. I was just going by what I HEARD about the old light blue series.

I would just like to list the programs where k-8 is compacted into 6 years/levels, and program that run on 3/6 year rotations. My question focuses on scheduling, not pedagogy (if that is the right word).

I don't know of any reputable program that claims to compact 9 yrs of education into 6.

I am not sure what you mean by 3/6 yr rotations.

This was debated on the MEP Yahoo group recently, and I agreed with the person who said that it was necessary to do the Express track of Y7-9 before a normal student would be ready for the GCSE.

Maybe bcause a lot of MEP homeschoolers don't do GCSE but move to a more traditional American math track, it's not so much of an issue. I do think there are interesting things in y7-9, e.g. logic.

Perhaps the first 6 years of Milestones Academy? (Her years 7-10 she considered high-school.) Ambleside Online and HUFI could be considered 2x6 rotations as well, at least for history. I would consider MEP a 6 year curriculum as well, if that is desired.

Thanks! I have some reading to do at Milestone. What is HUFL?

I don't know of any reputable program that claims to compact 9 yrs of education into 6.

I am not sure what you mean by 3/6 yr rotations.

I don't want to get into reputable or not. :D

TWTM is a 4 year rotation. Easy Peasy is another 4 year rotation. Other multilevel curricula use a different number of years to rotate through history/science/Bible. I'm primarily interested in 6 year rotations but also 3 year rotations that could be completed twice to line up with other 6 year curricula.

I've never used it, but I think Veritas Press must. They start Omnibus in 7th grade and that is much more like a high school level program in both history and English. They do US history in 1st and then a 5 year rotation of history in 2nd - 6th, followed by two three-year rotations.

Saxon math. Originally the first book was 54 and could be started as soon as a student had very solid math facts. So six books: 54, 65, 76, 87, Algebra 1/2, Algebra 1.

I don't want to get into reputable or not. :D

TWTM is a 4 year rotation. Easy Peasy is another 4 year rotation. Other multilevel curricula use a different number of years to rotate through history/science/Bible. I'm primarily interested in 6 year rotations but also 3 year rotations that could be completed twice to line up with other 6 year curricula.

Ok, I think I understand. From my perspective, the question isn't a question that has an answer b/c I reject the necessity of any sort of rotation in history and science for K8 to begin with. I absolutely believe that studying history and science is a necessity, but I do not believe that they need to be studied cyclically in order to be well-prepared for high school/college level courses.

This is also quite different from compacting K8 material for skill-oriented courses like math.

I can't remember the details about Mater Amabilis, but they don't use 4 year history rotations.

http://materamabilis.org/ma/mater-amabilis-an-overview/

http://materamabilis.org/ma/lesson-plans-and-schedules/history/

http://materamabilis.org/ma/lesson-plans-and-schedules/history/introhistorytcoo/

They are Catholic but most of the subject areas are basically taught with secular materials.

Thanks! I have some reading to do at Milestone. What is HUFL?

HUFI is Higher Up and Further In, a free online K-12 CM curriculum that is based on AO and other classical curriculum.

http://www.charlotte...-schedules.html

HUFI is set up with Years 1-6 and then Years 7-12 much like AO, but I know AO uses a 6 year history rotation, I'm not sure if HUFI would be considered a 6 year history rotation. I believe that the history rotation in HUFI is closer to TWTM.

Ok, I think I understand. From my perspective, the question isn't a question that has an answer b/c I reject the necessity of any sort of rotation in history and science for K8 to begin with. I absolutely believe that studying history and science is a necessity, but I do not believe that they need to be studied cyclically in order to be well-prepared for high school/college level courses.

This is also quite different from compacting K8 material for skill-oriented courses like math.

I don't believe in the necessity of content rotations either, but I'm just looking at idiot proof scheduling. When someone writes a rotation, they usually make an effort to include a set of SKILLS equally spread out over the CONTENT rotation. And of course they make an effort to do something complete in regards to content. This really is just about idiot proof scheduling.

I was just looking through my old SOW curriculum and of course everyone knows how much I love the old NtK books, and I just started wondering what else was out there that broke something pretty complete--by at least the author's standards--into 6 levels.

So many curricula make an effort now to line up with TWTM's 4 year rotation, knowing that people are scheduling that way. It just makes things easy. I seem to be accumulating a few 6 year resources though, so...I'm thinking of just going with it. I'm just curious what is out there, that I haven't looked at.

I get curious sometimes. Not for a good reason. I just get curious.

HUFI is Higher Up and Further In, a free online K-12 CM curriculum that is based on AO and other classical curriculum.

http://www.charlotte...-schedules.html

HUFI is set up with Years 1-6 and then Years 7-12 much like AO, but I know AO uses a 6 year history rotation, I'm not sure if HUFI would be considered a 6 year history rotation. I believe that the history rotation in HUFI is closer to TWTM.

I thought Higher Up and Further in was the Anne of Green Gables unit study. :lol: Or the Narnia one or something. I'm just confused. :biggrinjester: Thanks for setting me straight!!!

I thought Higher Up and Further in was the Anne of Green Gables unit study. :lol: Or the Narnia one or something. I'm just confused. :biggrinjester: Thanks for setting me straight!!!

It is also the name of the Narnia unit study, so your confusion is understandable ;) . I think that most people just call the free HUFI curriculum Charlotte Mason Help or CMH, since that is the name of the website and the yahoo user group. I have found her articles on how to implement CM methods very helpful.

Haha - Sorry I meant HUFI = Charlotte Mason Help. Her history is 1-4 dual strands of world & American, year 5 is non-western cultures, and year 6 is ancients (which works into AO as year 7 is middle ages). That's what I get for not proof-reading.

Artner's guide could be done in many ways - it just divides American history into 8 time periods, and is recommended over 6 years (3rd-8th).

Maybe BFSU? It's "chunked" into three groups (K-2, 3-5, 6-8), but the first one at least could be compacted to a year if need be. (I haven't actually used the higher level volumes yet, so I'm not sure how easy accelerating would be later on.)

2 years per book would take 6 years.

Haha - Sorry I meant HUFI = Charlotte Mason Help. Her history is 1-4 dual strands of world & American, year 5 is non-western cultures, and year 6 is ancients (which works into AO as year 7 is middle ages). That's what I get for not proof-reading.

Artner's guide could be done in many ways - it just divides American history into 8 time periods, and is recommended over 6 years (3rd-8th).

Artner's is based off of the OLD NtK books I like so much, right?

Ladies, thanks so much for playing along. I Iearned a LOT! Sometimes I just want to know information, that I probably will never use. And I just wanted to know.

And best yet, Higher Up and Further In is NOT a unit study. :lol:

Hunter, I know you have issues with CC, but the Foundations guide is a 3 year rotation of 24 weeks (like SOW) and Essentials is the same every year but it is 24 weeks too which is nice. And they use a 3 year IEW cycle to line up with their history topics.

I am lining everything up into one or 3 year rotations for 24 weeks and in three age groups/levels of mastery K3-K5, 1st-3rd, and 4th-6th. SOW does something very similar with some of their lessons like English and Spelling/Phonics if I remember correctly. I like that approach. It takes the most important information in language arts and rotates it. I even lined up phonics this way. 3 phonograms per week for review. In preschool they will learn about one phonogram (the alphabet) per week and in K they will learn 2 multi-letter phonograms per week. After that they will just review 3 every week by making a chart and then quiz 30 of them rotating between hear and write and see and say methods. This allows me to teach all my kids together. And Essentials breaks up Spelling Plus into three levels and they've written the spelling rules that correspond with that list above each list. You can see this free online with the Essentials samples. So I can test my kids together allowing my 6 year old to step out after the first list. Level A is the first and second grade lists, Level B is the third and fourth grade lists, and Level C is the fifth and sixth grade lists. It also has homophones tied to the lists which covers almost every homophone from her Homophones Book. I will also use the Dictation Book to give them about 5 sentences per day from each level, again letting them leave after their appropriate level. For my fifth and sixth graders they will get 45 words per day and 15 sentences (or I may do words two days a week and sentences 2 days a week or something like that.)

I hope that makes sense.....Gotta nurse the baby...maybe I'll add more later.....

2 years per book would take 6 years.

Artner's is based off of the OLD NtK books I like so much, right?

Yes it uses 3rd-6th grade "Need to Know" books by Hirsch. It's copyright 2000 - I'm pretty sure it matched up with my old books that are ... somewhere. :p

Just in case anyone NEEDS TO KNOW ;)

I use Artner's for our American studies and it matches my older ed. NtK books. It uses the 3rd through 6th grade books. I really like using Artner guide; it makes things very easy to get done, whether it is a little or a lot. The basic scope and sequence with lots of breathing room is what I need.

SWR gets though high school level words by 6th grade

IEW for writing with just TWSS

MCT musical hemispheres does an excellent job of all elementary poetry in just one book 3 month book. But you could add the town level book for a second 3 month session and finish up through 8th grade.

I think you could get quite a few responses on the accelerated board because a lot of them have to do quite a bit of compacting and would know which curricula are more to the point.

Ruth in NZ

stm4him, thanks for mentioning CC. It might be useful info for anyone else reading this thread who is using 3/6 year curricula, but as a tutor of older students, I am not allowed to buy the parts of CC that I like the lost. CC definitely need to be on this list, though.

Zookeeper thans for the added info on Artner.

Lewellma, thanks for your ideas too. I'll look up MCT.