Menu

What would you recommend for reviewing and reinforcing Algebra I concepts?

Ds is taking Algebra I right now using a Larson text. He's getting by with a C, but not excelling in it, and I'm considering taking some time when it's finished (he's doing it with American School, so has a deadline and can't just slow down the pace) to make sure that all the concepts are clear to him. What do you think would be the best way to do this?

I have a lot of Algebra materials on hand, so there's a lot to work with, but I don't want to hand him a full Algebra curriculum to do from the start, as I think that would be overkill. I could possibly have him do the chapter review exercises from each chapter of Lial's, and if he gets a lot wrong, then have him work through the chapter. Or I could have him read through Life of Fred Algebra I and just do a few of the exercises at the end of each chapter. Or I could get the Teaching Company dvds, and have him watch those and do some of the exercises from the text that comes with it. I also have Basic Algebra and Geometry Made a Bit Easier, which I could have him go through, but I'm not sure how much help that will be. And someone has loaned me TT Algebra I.

Any ideas or suggestions using the materials I have or any materials that I could buy to help? I really want to make sure these Algebra concepts are cemented in before moving on to Geometry. Thanks.

My son's algebra class at a b&m school also uses the Larson text. It is *very* weak on conceptual development. If your son is getting a C in the class, and it is using this text, unless there is online instruction that is providing the conceptual framework, it is likely that he has very little understanding of the concepts.

For a conceptual, big picture approach to algebra, I love Jacobs. But you can't just read through the text as the problem sets are an integral part of the instruction. I'm not sure you're going to find a quick fix for this since developing a conceptual understanding requires being taught from a conceptual point of view and doing problems with that viewpoint in mind.

Since they gave you TT algebra 1, give it a try. It might not be the hardest thing out there, but it would be pretty fast for him and do a good job at solidifying things. He would probably blow through the lessons in 20-30 min a day, seriously. Then just come in for 10-15 min. a day with your LoF.

Since they gave you TT algebra 1, give it a try. It might not be the hardest thing out there, but it would be pretty fast for him and do a good job at solidifying things. He would probably blow through the lessons in 20-30 min a day, seriously. Then just come in for 10-15 min. a day with your LoF.

I like your idea to breeze through TT, but instead of LoF, I might add in the Real World Algebra that was recommended by Jaybee. Thanks.

I think before you decide on an Algebra I review program, you may need to check his skills in the areas of fractions, decimals, and percentages. How clearly does he understand order of operations. Sometimes it is the smaller stuff further back that can derail Algebra I. Be sure you are fixing the right problem.

I think before you decide on an Algebra I review program, you may need to check his skills in the areas of fractions, decimals, and percentages. How clearly does he understand order of operations. Sometimes it is the smaller stuff further back that can derail Algebra I. Be sure you are fixing the right problem.

:iagree: It took us multiple curriculum and 2 years of struggling with Algebra 1 before we figured out that DS has issues with fractions and decimals. Right now we're doing a major review of fractions and decimals before we go back to working on Algebra. He's upset because he feels he's stupid that he doesn't know them, but I'm trying to reassure him that it's very common and I'm sure he's not the only one of his peers that struggle with these areas.

Homeschool Buyer's Co-Op is offering free subscriptions of MathHelp.com through the end of August, or until they run out. It's what we're using right now for both Alg 1 and our review lessons, and DS is actually enjoying it. He does think the Alg 1 teacher is very boring though.

Ds struggled with pre-algebra, pulled a C- in algebra in ps this year. He is weak in fractions. He is reviewing the MUS Epsilon series. I am considering buying 32 Most Effective Math Strategies for the SAT simply because of the differentiated levels of explanation.

Let your ds know that he most definitely is not stupid! Math is like a maturity phase; once he picks up that one piece he'll charge through the rest of the way.

Ds is taking Algebra I right now using a Larson text. He's getting by with a C, but not excelling in it, and I'm considering taking some time when it's finished (he's doing it with American School, so has a deadline and can't just slow down the pace) to make sure that all the concepts are clear to him. What do you think would be the best way to do this?

I have a lot of Algebra materials on hand, so there's a lot to work with, but I don't want to hand him a full Algebra curriculum to do from the start, as I think that would be overkill. I could possibly have him do the chapter review exercises from each chapter of Lial's, and if he gets a lot wrong, then have him work through the chapter. Or I could have him read through Life of Fred Algebra I and just do a few of the exercises at the end of each chapter. Or I could get the Teaching Company dvds, and have him watch those and do some of the exercises from the text that comes with it. I also have Basic Algebra and Geometry Made a Bit Easier, which I could have him go through, but I'm not sure how much help that will be. And someone has loaned me TT Algebra I.

Any ideas or suggestions using the materials I have or any materials that I could buy to help? I really want to make sure these Algebra concepts are cemented in before moving on to Geometry. Thanks.

Another vote that it might be more basic arithmetic issues that are undermining the algebra. In the past we've used some of the Key to ... series booklets to cement concepts, especially fractions. I like the Danica McKellar books, though they might be too girl focused for your ds (I tell my sons that it gives them secret insight into how girls think). Another idea is to work through Khan Academy practice sets until you find areas where he gets stuck. One thing you might consider instead of giving chapter review problems and making him work through what he gets wrong is to check each problem as he does it and if he hits something he doesn't understand, then he goes back and reviews it while the problem is fresh in his mind. That might take more than one day per chapter review. (And it might be something better done with adult guidance than alone, at least it would be at my house.)

For one of my kids we need to make sure the basics are still understood (ie fractions, percents, etc.) for the other it is just sometimes seeing similar problems worked out. For that we have used Khan Academy and AoPS videos (both free on their respective websites) when parent and paper review doesn't cut it.

For the extra practice in basics I like the Straight Forward Math series-sample here. Also available on Amazon and at many "teacher's" stores.

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but we were away for the weekend. I think he is pretty solid in his fractions, decimals and percents concepts because he worked through all the Key To books in those topics, but I will check that out just in case. I had forgotten all about the Khan videos. I'm sure they will be really useful, and I'll check out the AoPS videos. I didn't realize they had free videos available on their website. And the 32 Most Effective SAT Math Stategies looks excellent as well. Thanks!

I own Real World Algebra and while it is ok as a supplement its really closer to Pre-A in terms of depth and scope. I think you need something more substantial to firm up these concepts vs. something lighter like this.

Video lessons can help fill in some understanding/conceptual gaps. These are some top quality resources which we've used with great success, some of which have been mentioned:

1. Take a look at TabletClass free videos here: http://homeschoolmat...hool-algebra-1/

Then you could use the workbook with the lessons for review: http://homeschoolmat...-workbook-page/

2. AoPS videos are quite good as well which could be used with Alcumus.

3. Khan Academy is also an excellent resource and they have a problems bank as well.

We just signed both dc's up for Alcumus for free. It seems to be calling to the competitive game playing side of ds so he actually does it. They have points and quests. Today the plan is to watch the recommended exponent lessons. Looking at his history shows that may be his problem (which I was already thinking it was but kept hearing "Mom,I know that!). I have tried everything hunting for what this kid doesn't get because he is missing something in Algebra. I am hoping using Alcumus might do it.

I'd strongly recommend Khan Academy. I'm using it with all three of my daughters right now since they've finished their curriculum for the year. It is perfect since your students go at their own pace and only get the practice sets checked off when they've shown mastery. Review is built in. I started all of them at the very beginning (Basic Addition) and had them fly through the easy problem sets and move up. Each has had certain spots where they've had to work for a while to get 10 right in a row because of careless errors. It also exposes the formulas and such that they haven't really committed to memory yet. You can click on the topics and just have them scroll down and do all the starred practice sets. I have assigned Khan for 5 hours per week right now and will back it off to 2-3 hours over the summer. I think it is a great way to reinforce the concepts. If they are stuck on anything they can use the hints button and get help, but they will still have to do 10 in a row later to get the star. I love Khan. It is easy for me to set them up as a class with me as their coach where I can check up on their progress and verify they've done their time. I'm doing Khan too and only have a few more practice sets in Calculus before I've done them all!

Follow this link for a well-organized math review site, with a question bank. http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/math/ALGEBRA/math-ALGEBRA.htm#Coordinate_Geometry. Although it is for the NY Regent's examinations (which are given to HS students to earn a Regent's diploma), the site is applicable, and b/c it's Integrated Algebra, there is a little bit of everything there. I second the suggestion of Khan Academy. The Regent's site has the advantage of being broad but not too deep. Using the quick review lessons can quickly identify weaknesses which can be explored more in depth at Khan. Good luck.

One text that is not expensive (I know you already said you had a few) and is well organized for a faster review is Tobey and Slater. At the end of each chapter there is a chapter test, and at the end of several chapters there is a cumulative review. You could have him take each chapter test and see how he does. The nice part is that when you grade it, in the back of the book answer key, each question notes precisely which section the question was primarily testing. If you see a pattern to missed responses, then you can review just that section with him instead of the entire chapter.

When you turn to that section, you will likely find not only very clear writing and nice examples and problem sets, but an end of section quiz (only about four problems). If there were several problematic sections, instead of retaking the chapter test, you can either rely on the problem sets to have done the work, or simply take the cumulative test that follows the chapter test. The text does take time to point out common problems students have and WHY these problems don't work the way you might think they will, reinforcing again the correct underlying concept originally taught, a nice feature. A former tutor for college students, I agreed with many of these points as places where students often stumbled, even supposed "A" students who scored well on the AP test!

The book is available pretty inexpensively on Amazon if you purchase it used and go back an edition or two. No teacher edition is needed; the answers and tests are built right into the text. Nice deal.

I would normally recommend Fred, but you sounded as if you wanted to accelerate this process somewhat. If this works great, and then if you still feel he needs a confidence builder, he can work a month or two behind in Fred, which is a fantastic curriculum text as well. My husband is a math professor, and he wishes his students would come to University knowing even half of what is taught in Fred, from a conceptual point of view. Fred is great at teaching the "why" behind the algebra rather than working on just the algorithms, and at making sure students can apply their knowledge to novel situations, instead of just plugging in numbers to the same problem over and over. DH can always quickly tell which students scored A's in school by simply memorizing things well without bothering to understand much about what they were doing.