Menu

Laser Printers--am I going to miss having color?

Forget-Me-Not

Ok, good to know! Our color inkjet died and we will probably buy a BW Laser to replace it because I spent WAY too much money having stuff printed at Kinko's last year! I guess bare-bones color inkjets are cheap enough that if I missed color down the road we could just buy one of those.

We found a good price on a color laser around xmas one year - I love having it. The ink isn't that much either -- well at least, I haven't complained about buying it so far - it lasts a long time. I personally really like having color print outs, black and white is just so -- dull. :)

But I could live without it if I wanted to, I suppose. Just very glad we didn't. However, I wish we'd spent more on a duplexing model, that I really wish I had.

I went with two printers -- a budget laser (Brother 2270 with duplex printing) and a Canon Pixma with duplex printing and a feeder tray for multipage copying/scanning. I love the speed and low cost per page of the Brother, and I love the scanning capabilities and high quality color of the Canon.

Guest inoubliable

Oh - I forgot to mention! For scanning, I have a Doxie scanner. Very small, very mobile, very good quality scans.

We found a good price on a color laser around xmas one year - I love having it. The ink isn't that much either -- well at least, I haven't complained about buying it so far - it lasts a long time. I personally really like having color print outs, black and white is just so -- dull. :)

But I could live without it if I wanted to, I suppose. Just very glad we didn't. However, I wish we'd spent more on a duplexing model, that I really wish I had.

What model color laser did you get?

What model color laser did you get?

We have the Dell 1320c Laser Printer -- we got it because it is what DH's office has and it seemed to work well. It also was for a really good price that I've not seen again online, though would have to ask DH how low the price went for sure. One big complaint is that it is not a wifi enabled printer and it's a pain for me (mac user) to print to it without running a print server on the network - so I just plug in to print. I'd really like to not have to.

My color inkjet died a few months ago and we replaced it with a duplex b/w laser. There have been a couple times color would have been nice but only once that I went to a store to print a lapbook cover in color. I'm looking ahead at printing out the reception level for MEP and I think I'll go to my parents' house to print the color-necessary parts and offer to pay for the ink.

But what I have noticed almost daily is how much I love duplex printing and copying. Oh my word, it is SO NICE not to worry that I'm putting the paper back upside down. And I can tell it to print 20 pages without babysitting it. Love love love it.

I switched over to a black & white laser printer last fall, and while I occasionally miss having a color printer, it's been totally worth it. I've only changed the toner cartridge once and that was in November after the original one that came with the printer ran out. It has been so freeing to just print whatever I want. Last week, I printed a 65-page document for my son for Boy Scouts. I never would have been able to do that with our inkjet.

Unless you enjoy printing out your own photos, I can't imagine why you would need color. We purchased a very inexpensive Brother B&W Laser that prints only last summer because I am an avid couponer and felt it was unnecessary to have color. It was one of the best decisions I've made. I did hold onto our color printer for making copies only, but we do this very infrequently and use only B&W on that printer also. With all my couponing and printing we are still on our first purchased toner cartridge and it's been about 10 months. It is SO much cheaper!

Unless you enjoy printing out your own photos, I can't imagine why you would need color. We purchased a very inexpensive Brother B&W Laser that prints only last summer because I am an avid couponer and felt it was unnecessary to have color. It was one of the best decisions I've made. I did hold onto our color printer for making copies only, but we do this very infrequently and use only B&W on that printer also. With all my couponing and printing we are still on our first purchased toner cartridge and it's been about 10 months. It is SO much cheaper!

This. Exactly. I still have the inkjet color printer, but find almost no reason to use it.

I would love to have a color, wifi laser printer. Right now I have a b/w with no wifi, but I can print so much on it and the refills are so inexpensive. It is a duplex printer.

We have a color AIO inkjet too that just doesn't work right anymore. It won't get on the network, so it's just about useless now. It won't even work when I plug it into my desk top, though it will on my laptop. The printing on it isn't that great anyways, so I've just been using Office Depot if I have a few things I'd like in color.