Menu

Inhalers and epi pens medical ?

Murphy101

Dh and I are contemplating whether I need an epi pen and heavily leaning towards yes.

I am allergic to bee stings, but I never had an anaphylactic reaction. For example, as a child I'd step on a bee and my foot would swell like up to about mid calf like a water balloon about to burst. I could not even put on flipflops bc my foot was too swollen to fit in them! I used to freak my mother out bc I thought the sensation of the foot when it hit the foot or when I tapped it was the coolest weird thing ever and she use to scream at me to stop it. Which if course made it even more awesome to do. ;)

Dh recently made me scallops. I honestly couldn't remember if I'd ever had them before. I took a bite and didn't really care for it, but you know, take another bit, savor it a minute see if making it some other way might make it good, yk? So I'm about 1/2 way through the second scallop trying to decide if these are worth trying again when I decide no. I tell dh they have a funky aftertaste thing going on. Rub eyes. Huh. Mouth feels sorta fuzzy. Eyes are driving me nuts. Now my ears feel like they have water in them... Oh sh!t. Where's the benedry!!! Stat!! I looked awful and had a scratchy throat for a couple days and kept popping benedryl.

And lastly, I thought I had out grown my asthma, but twice in the last few months I very nearly passed out because I couldn't catch my breath from a sudden coughing fit and had to run in the house to grab one of my sons' inhalers. I have absolutely no idea what caused either incident.

I have survived so far and would like to continue surviving. The only thing i can think is little stuff that used to not be all that bad for younger me is just harder on older me? Is that common? I don't have a primary care dr or insurance. I *think* I can use the state thing, but the odds of getting in as a new patient anytime soon are pretty slim. Ideally, I would like to just walk in, state my situation and get an rx for an inhaler and an epi pen. (and WHY do people have to have an rx for inhalers now? When I was younger I could get them OTC for about $10! Now my sons are $68 by rx only?!)

I feel like I'm being a bit silly or dramatic and hate to waste $ on something to sit in my purse likely never used. But figure I've spent money worse than that over the years. ;p

Opinions? What would you suggest?

You may be thinking of the Primatene inhalers. They were banned for having CFCs in them:

http://en.wikipedia..../Primatene_Mist

They are working on getting a version approved for sale again.

Anyway, are we the same person ? LOL !

I am also allergic to shellfish, but I find it very easy to avoid, unless I am in a seafood-intensive area - and then I will ask about every single dish - does this have crab or shrimp in it ? But up here in IL, shellfish is easy to avoid, so I do not have an epi-pen. As for stings, I carry benadryl. As long as I get the benadryl going quickly, I don't have much of a swelling reaction. I have never had a worse reaction to stings - if I had, I would get an epi-pen for that.

I just got a new Rx for a rescue inhaler today, because I had let my old one run out...my allergies are acting up, asthma is flaring, I got in someone's 2nd hand smoke, and boom - wheezing. I ended up getting a neb treatment in a doctor's office, and a new inhaler prescription, and some neb meds for home use on wheezy days. Lesson learned. I will not let my inhaler run out again.

If you have a true anaphylactic reaction Benadryl will not be able to stop it (according to ds' allergist). It sounds like you need an epi-pen. Better an unused epi-pen in your purse if you don't have a reaction rather than you not being here anymore if you do have a reaction.

Yes, get one. Severity of allergic reactions change, usually in the direction of worse. My doctor said you just never know when the reaction will be "that one," so better to be prepared.

I have oral allergy syndrome, and it gets worse every year. I haven't had to use the epipen yet, but I always carry Benedryll and my inhalers... and I have had to use them often. One day they may not work fast enough.

I agree with everyone else that you need an epi-pen.

Ideally, I would like to just walk in, state my situation and get an rx for an inhaler and an epi pen. (and WHY do people have to have an rx for inhalers now? When I was younger I could get them OTC for about $10! Now my sons are $68 by rx only?!)

Is that just a regular (generic) Albuterol inhaler? That sounds really high to me.

You can order them from outside the country (no prescription), I saw one site that had them 4 for $86, that was just the first one I clicked on.

I can't remember what I recently paid for an albuterol inhaler at Walgreens, but it was either 150 or 250 or in that range somewhere. I did just pick up a steroid inhaler for $231 this evening for ds10. I had a coupon for a free trial, but the coupon wouldn't work because he wasn't over 12 y.o. :glare:

I vaguely recall the Epipens being expensive too. I guess I block it out of my mind....

You may be thinking of the Primatene inhalers. They were banned for having CFCs in them:

http://en.wikipedia..../Primatene_Mist

They are working on getting a version approved for sale again.

Yes! That's it. I do remember it didn't work as well as the rx ones, but when my parents forgot to get my meds filled, I could just walk into the wackomart and grab one and it got me through fairly well on bad days in PE class or walking home from school.

I am also allergic to shellfish, but I find it very easy to avoid, unless I am in a seafood-intensive area - and then I will ask about every single dish - does this have crab or shrimp in it ?

See now I didn't give the slightest thought to trying the scallops because I eat shrimp all the time. At least a few times a month. And I've never had so much as a throat tingle. I have also eaten snow crab legs by the pound while pregnant, but I admit I haven't had those in a few years so maybe things have changed with that and I just don't know it yet.

Also, you might want to ask for a prescription for an Allerject epinephrine injector rather than an epi-pen. Same drug, same price, but smaller profile so it fits in your purse more easily.

Have you see a mom of 10 kids purse? My dh calls it a Poppin's Bag bc it seems like I can fit anything and everything in it. LOL

I would definitely get an Epi-pen. Last summer I had pine nuts, it was maybe my 2nd time having them, and had an allergic reaction to them. I now have one Epi-pen in the car and one in the house, and 8 year old DS1 knows what it is and where it is.

I can't remember what I recently paid for an albuterol inhaler at Walgreens, but it was either 150 or 250 or in that range somewhere. I did just pick up a steroid inhaler for $231 this evening for ds10. I had a coupon for a free trial, but the coupon wouldn't work because he wasn't over 12 y.o. :glare:

I vaguely recall the Epipens being expensive too. I guess I block it out of my mind....

If you are in the USA a single full price albuterol inhaler shouldn't be over $60-85 without any discounts. Even Xopenex (a med similar to albuterol) is still around the same price. I am curious which med you are using, I may be able to help you find coupons for it or give you some ideas on how to save money.

Get an Epi. If nothing else get on someones appointment book for an drs visit. Even if it is months down the road, get on the books...because that day will come, whether or not you schedule the appointment.

Here is a coupon for Epipens. It will take $100 off (they can be $250+) after your insurance or paying cash (some coupons don't work for cash pay clients). Sign up and get the coupon now. IT is effective until Dec, but sometimes they take them off the website before that.

Asthma can make anaphylaxis more lethal. Most stories I read about food allergy fatalities involve the person not have a nearby epi pen. Get one as soon as possible. Read up abt car storage, heat can damage them. People have died walking to a parking lot for their epi. My allergic child has the pen with her always.

I would definitely get an Epi-pen. Last summer I had pine nuts, it was maybe my 2nd time having them, and had an allergic reaction to them. I now have one Epi-pen in the car and one in the house, and 8 year old DS1 knows what it is and where it is.

Had to chime in on this--per their labels, Epi-pens are supposed to be stored at 77 degree, with excursions permitted from 59-86 degrees. A car can get MUCH hotter (or colder) than that. I wish that weren't the case b/c keeping them where you do would be convenient.

The proper use of an Epi-pen is to call 911 after you use it. It is not a drug that is to be used as a standalone drug. My son's allergist says it is so commonplace to get a prescription now but people are not well versed in the fact that you are to call emergency.

If you are not sure what to do, make an appointment with an allergist. You have to have a prescription for an Epi-pen (or for an inhaler) anyway.

Yes - inhalers and epipens! Better to spend the money and stay alive.

I recently developed a shellfish allergy too - aaack. Scary. But we have epis on hand for DS, and DH knew what to do. Thankfully.

For you - ask the doc for inhaler samples. Our docs usually have them. And recently I saw a $100 online coupon for epipens. I will search for it for you, when not on my phone.

Get at twin pack of epis... Sometimes you need a second shot. Always call 911 after using. And lie down!

Epis can't stay in the car. They have temp requirements to stay effective. Keep it in your purse.

For you - ask the doc for inhaler samples. Our docs usually have them. And recently I saw a $100 online coupon for epipens. I will search for it for you, when not on my phone.

Someone posted it earlier, so you don't need to bother.

My question is, what does one do who lives in a climate where the weather is almost always above 77 or 86 degrees? I ask this as a serious question, not an idle one.

I just want to say one more thing: my child has never had anything close to an anaphylactic reaction, and it is relatively easy to avoid the problematic foods, but I was given an epi pen prescription when the first one happened, and all doctors I have seen have thought it was appropriate to have them on hand, no questions asked. My child's symptoms are significantly less severe than yours. My kids' pediatrician said her son has an epi pen and has never used it on him. I strongly urge you to get one just to have it, not because you think you'll need it or something like that. You should just have one. It will not make your allergies worse or indicate anything, like you are somehow submitting to a disease or anything. It is just a means of quickly treating something dangerous that could happen. It will not make you more likely to become ill, but it will make you more likely to stay healthy. Don't fret about it. Just get one and put it in your purse and also have one at home in a known location.

I went for my allergy shot recently and saw someone who'd had an anaphylactic reaction being prepped for transport to the hospital. The office staff were all rattled as it was both the fastest and most severe reaction they'd ever witnessed. Had the woman been alone she would have been dead for sure.

If you've already had some serious reactions it's nothing to put off.

She is apparently shocked someone would be able to buy something to help them breathe without first paying for a dr, insurance, and a more expensive version via rx. :)

Considering what is available OTC to minors and adults these days, I tend to have the opposite view that inhalers aren't available OTC.

We have a different system but as a general rule if you are wanting to treat something that may cause more than inconvenience you have to go to a doctor. Self diagnosis is not acceptable. But it is easier and cheaper to go to the doctor for the vast majority of people. As a severe asthmatic the idea of being able to get medication without checking there isn't some underlying condition scares me. Being able to buy an inhaler if my script runs out or may inhaler gets lost has appeal but I would expect it to be limited to a pharmacy that knew me.

Mind you it sounds from books I have read that you can get OTC meds I would love to be able too. It just reminds me that there are places in the world where you can buy OTC antibiotics which is not exactly helping with the resistance issue.

Basically what it comes down to is I could not imagine being able to buy a prescription medicine OTC. Sorry I was startled so my response wasn't that tactful.

I had a dx., so I wasn't self dx and just using whatever on the shelf.

I have no problem making relatively safe medication available over the counter vs forcing people to return to the dr for it unnecessarily. Most people who have a problem breathing are going to want to find out why bc it will freak them out. And inhalers are unpleasant, so there isn't much recreational use of them. Also, it's not like people can easily slip them into people's drinks or whatever other nefarious situation that come up with many medications.

There is plenty we can get OTC or as minors without parental consent that does bother me.

But I think inhalers are not one of them.

fair enough. We did have a few recreational users at one stage but as you say there are easier, more pleasant things. We are just really strict here which to us is normal. You know - normal is what we/i do, abnormal is what you/they so. :-)