Menu

Curious, what is the cost of your state's convention?

Our state convention is held in Orlando at a hotel that costs $150/night. Since I am not a member of our state's homeschooling organization, I would pay $80 to attend. $15 for parking. I could make it a day trip, but I have a hard time paying $95 to look at curriculum :(

In TX, there was a huge convention (not sure if it was the state convention) that cost $5 to attend pre-registered. I miss that one.

Too much and it's going down hill. The board is on the "vision" garbage. THis is just cut and pasted from their website.

Preregistered by April 4, 2008 in red (first price) / After April 4, 2008 or at the door in bold

Individual . . . $45 . . . $50

Married Couple . . . . . . . $55 . . $65

Teen (13-18) . . . $25 . . $30

Baby (under 24 months) . . . $25 . . . $30

Grandparent attending w/paying adult* . . $10 . . $10

Two Days: Friday and Saturday

Individual . . $55 . . $60

Married Couple . . . . $65 . . $75

Teen (13-18) . . $40 . . . $45

Baby (under 24 months) . . $40 . . $45

Grandparent attending w/paying adult* . . $10 . $10

If you're not a member of the support group that holds it. Members get a discount, and singles are a little less than the $50. I'm just trying to remember from last year, so I'm not totally sure, but I think that covers the weekend, not just one day.

I'm REALLY wanting to go this year, but I will have to take money out of the hs budget to do it - so I face the conundrum - go and see what it's all about, or abstain and use the money for curricula????

:)

Melissa

If you are a member it is $40 for family, kids programs are extra (I've never used those). For me, it's much more than looking at curriculum. I like going to the workshops and hearing the speakers. They give me encouragement and inspiration....and the realization that I'm not alone. My whole family likes to go because it is held at a really nice hotel. They also have fun with their friends and looking at the games, etc at the vendor booths. We finish our "school year" before we go, so it's a nice treat for all of us! :)

We go to the one in Arlington, Tx. It is $5 if you pre register and $10 at the door. The first time we went my husband and I both just stood in the doorway and just stared at all the people and booths! We were so overwhelmed! But we learned a lot!:) We never knew so many people homeschooled and those were just the ones that went to the convention!:) I love to go and hear the speakers. And dream about all the stuff I would buy if I was rich!:) It is a fun time.

Pastors and families get in free; members pay $35 for early registration (do you live in NM???), kids 12 and over are welcome. My son realized for the first time last year that he was "smart." Not having people to compare to, he thought that what he was doing was normal, and it is for him. He loved meeting the author of Videotext Algebra and Dr. Wile...sat through the presentation without fidgeting (or texting!)

$60!! I just checked, since it has been several years...$60 is for the weekend, spouse free and grandparents are free too.

My dh doesn't want to go, we went to 1 in IL and 1 in AZ and he says when you've been to one, you've been to them all. Hmm, maybe I could get my parents to come that weekend...my mom & I will go to the convention!

That includes parking and membership with the support group. And you can get in both days for that price.

It is a shame that people have to face such steep prices just to get in and look at curriculum!!!:confused:

Many state conventions are more than curriculum fairs.

The Christian state organization in California, Christian Home Educators Association of California (CHEA), usually has more than 100 workshops over the course of its two and a half days. You can get a pass just to go into the vendor hall as well as a one-day pass for the whole convention, but most people attend both days because of those workshops.

I think it's still pretty pricey, but the cost is not just to look at curriculum.

I try not to miss the WHO convention... I went to the last one here, but only went to the vender hall. I would love to go to WATCH, I just have not made the effort.

WHO ( Washington Homeschool Organization)

$15.00 a day. Its a 2 day conference.

WATCH (Washington association of teaching Christian Homes)

Exhibit Hall Only Pass for Friday Night: $10.00

Early Bird

Cost per Married Couple- $55.00

Individual- $50.00

Teen- $20.00

Grandparent- $20.00

Regular

Regular Registration:

July 1-July 30

Couples- $60.00

Individual- $55.00

Teen ages 13 and up- $25.00

Grandparent- $20.00

At the door

Per Married Couple- $70.00

Individual- $65.00

Teen- $30.00

Grandparent- $25.00

WATCH Member Discount: $5.00

Christian Heriatge Home education conference

PER ADULT ~ (Spouse attends free)

$60 – Early Bird Discount by midnight, February 20th!

$70 – Pre-Registration Discount by midnight, April 5th!

$80 – at the Door

ADDITIONAL FAMILY MEMBER PASS

Per each unmarried child (not participating in the Chorale) or grandparent attending with a Full Conference Registrant.

$18.00 – Early Bird Discount by February 20th

$20.00 – Pre-registration Discount by April 5th

$25.00 – at the Door

Nursing infants-no charge

I was just looking at this.

Our state convention is $69 if you preregister, $89 at the door. Spouses are free. Other over 13 family members can get in for $20. Kids can get an exhibit hall pass on Saturday only for $5 each (max of $15).

I love going to this. I get an employee rate at the hotel which helps. There are generally a lot of great speakers, and I love the chance to touch and feel the curriculum and really focus on where we are going school-wise in the next year.

But I just don't know that I can spend this much money this year. The timing stinks too.

Part of it is that I really don't have all that many things that I'm undecided about for next year, though a chance to sit down with Right Start Level D would be really, really nice. And for $100, I can purchase quite a few homeschooling seminars on mp3, you know?

I wish they had a reasonable exhibit hall only option.

I wish they had a one-day option.

Maybe I should seriously look at the North Dakota one (I'll be visiting my parents about the right time...)

Debra

Mom of five, ages 1-10

Full 3-Day Convention & Exhibit Hall

(M)$55 (NM)$70

Friday-Only Convention & Exhibit Hall

(M)$40 (NM)$55

Saturday-Only Convention & Exhibit Hall

(M)$40 (NM)$55

Non-homeschooling Grandparents

FREE

SHOPPING ONLY

(M)$20 (NM)$25

(M)=Member, (NM)=Non-Member

So far I've only gone for the shopping, but I keep promising myself one of these days I'm going to take a weekend and go.

• 3 months later...

Our local convention is $60 ($50 if you pre-reg), but the session topics are mostly faith and family issues, not academic. I'm seriously considering driving up to WHO. I'm a couple hours away, but I think it would be worth it!

The WHO convention in WA is free (for one day, anyway) to WHO members. :)

I've never been to this one, but hope to go this year, as youngest ds should be old enough now to stay home with dh. Yay!:D

Kelsy

I'm in the same boat as Nutmeg. I was seriously considering driving up to WHO (so cheap! so many great speakers!), but I think by the time I add up gas, hotel, dining, convention, stuff I would buy that I won't if I'm not there--I think I'm up to several hundred dollars. Wrong year for that! It's also just difficult getting there for Friday unless dh wants to take Friday off and we make it a family vacation. That was my original plan, but I think I will go the "save money" route instead.

We are FPEA members so it's $40.

This also lets my DH get in (he's never been), the kids, and grandparents. My parents go every year, so that makes its $20 for each of us. My Great Grandmother will be here this year!

I hate the new hotel and the way certain things are set up - the the lectures and vendor hall can't be missed!

Oh, and parking is only $5 a day if you don't stay at the hotel.

Our state convention is held in Orlando at a hotel that costs $150/night. Since I am not a member of our state's homeschooling organization, I would pay $80 to attend. $15 for parking. I could make it a day trip, but I have a hard time paying $95 to look at curriculum :(

In TX, there was a huge convention (not sure if it was the state convention) that cost $5 to attend pre-registered. I miss that one.

Even though I live in South Carolina, I am attending the Florida Convention. I joined the FPEA for $18 through a local homeschool group. The membership to the FPEA gives me a discounted rate to the convention - $40. I am staying off-site using my credit card points. That makes my hotel free. Of course, I still have to pay for gas to get there and food. I will probably have one of my friends add my car to her convention hotel bill. That way I can park on-site for a cost of $8 a day. My cost to attend will probably be around $200 by the time it is all said and done. I probably wouldn't pay that to just look at curriculum or speakers. I choose to pay that because it is a great way for my kids and myself to see our good Florida friends. In years past, we paid that to go because it was a mini-vacation with all of our friends. It is all in what you make of it. If you just want to see curriculum, a person could easily order and send back what they don't like for a cheaper cost. If it is for the weekend away and actually experience - then it may be worth the cost.

When I was in WA I think it was $20 for 2 days and it was awesome! Great speakers and SWB is speaking this yr and I can't go-I'm so bummed!

Now in Iowa and for the "big" one it is $35 for non-members of the group sponsoring it or $25 if you're a member-this is for 2 days and spouses get in free as the OP mentioned....are you in my state ;)

I'm not local though so I'll be paying for a hotel for 1 night. My DH will take the kids to the zoo 1 day and maybe a museum the other day so it all works out.