Menu

Concrete Stained Floor Pictures....

I found the pictures of the floor and posted them in my blog. I also tried to walk you through some of the work it took to do this project.

Fortunately, my husband and I work well together when it comes to home improvement projects. That would have made it a nightmare.....:lol: . Take that into consideration if you decide to tackle this one......

Ginger, Concrete Stained Floor

I found the pictures of the floor and posted them in my blog. I also tried to walk you through some of the work it took to do this project.

Fortunately, my husband and I work well together when it comes to home improvement projects. That would have made it a nightmare.....:lol: . Take that into consideration if you decide to tackle this one......

we put concrete floor in the house and have regretted it ever since. I think we chose the wrong sealant. Mine scuffs and shows footprints even when someone walks across it with clean, bare feet. Every little thing shows as a mark and when I mop it I have to get down on all fours and use a brush to get some stuff off.

We are trying to save money to afford to tile over the whole area but it's rather large.

What sealant did you use? Could I possibly rescue my floor?

Wow! They are stunning. I love the detail work you did.

Our church has stained concert in the foyer and cafe area. For VBS I worked in the snack area and we had approx. 800 children come through the cafe for snack. That floor held up great and still looks brand new.

Congrats!

It turned out wonderful! I would love concrete floors and countertops also! I just wonder if the concrete is really hard on your feet and back?

I forgot about that. From someone who has all limestone floors. It kills my knees and back. I wear orthotic slippers.

But, I love the easy clean up. Much better than carpet. Especially with cats.

Jet

we put concrete floor in the house and have regretted it ever since. I think we chose the wrong sealant. Mine scuffs and shows footprints even when someone walks across it with clean, bare feet. Every little thing shows as a mark and when I mop it I have to get down on all fours and use a brush to get some stuff off.

We are trying to save money to afford to tile over the whole area but it's rather large.

What sealant did you use? Could I possibly rescue my floor?

I haven't had any of that problem. No problem with the scuffing unless you have two visiting little girls who take a hammer and screwdriver and pund on your floor.....:glare:

The sealant we used was the brand from the company that we bought the stain from. I have no problems with mopping it up.

It turned out wonderful! I would love concrete floors and countertops also! I just wonder if the concrete is really hard on your feet and back?

I haven't noticed the floor hurting my back. Most of the time we are sitting when we are down there.

That is...UNBELIEVABLE!!! And I notice that you're in NoVA. Hmmm.... ;)

Thanks. We are right outside Quantico....:001_smile:

Stunning!

I'm showing DH :lol: (he's very against it.... :glare:)

I'm sure....he probably realizes how much work it would be...:lol:

I didn't know you could make concrete look like that--it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL! :hurray:

I love the floor. I really hate having all the stuff down there....but it is nice and easy to clean up.

Ginger,

That looks absolutely artistic - it actually looks like you have your floor finished with leather! Great job! One of these days I am going to make my way to your house and check it out in person.

Anytime.....:D

Beautiful! A couple of questions, if you don't mind. Would you consider this for a main floor? Our main living floor is on a concrete slab. Second, can you give me any idea of cost?

Thanks! Again, it looks great.

Pegasus

Funny you should ask that....my husband and I all ready decided it would be in the living room. If you google concrete stained floors, you won't believe what some people have done. Stunning is putting it mildly.

If I remember correctly we spent probably close to $500. That was for the cans of stain, etching solution, sealer, sprayers, squeegie broooms, scrub brushes, tape, plastic to tape the walls, tape...lots of tape for the floor...:glare:, oh and knee pads.....oh....and food for the friends that really love you and are willing to help you with all the work. You could pay someone to do it. But we were trying to cut costs....we didn't go into this lightly...we knew we would be busting but so to speak.....:tongue_smilie:

The biggest expense was in the actual stains themselves. I believe that bill came to around $380-$400. Edited because my husband said he thought it was closer to $300-$350. I'd rather err on the high end.....

All things considered, we couldn't have done a cheaper floor. Well, we could have but that was the plain old concrete paint and I didn't want paint. The concrete paint is different from the concrete stain.

The website would be a great place to start......

Stunning!

I'm showing DH :lol: (he's very against it.... :glare:)

DH here:

I wasn't sure about it initially, having never seen it before. My thinking went like this - $400 to stain it, and if it works well, it looks like marble.

If it doesn't look good, it can be painted with garage floor paint for $100.

We had to tear the carpet out anyway because of my son's mold allergy, and replacing it with vinyl was the only other affordable alternative.

Later, if needed, we could put vinyl, tile, or laminate over it without a problem.

Now, it is the only thing I would consider doing to interior concrete.

DH here:

I wasn't sure about it initially, having never seen it before. My thinking went like this - $400 to stain it, and if it works well, it looks like marble.

If it doesn't look good, it can be painted with garage floor paint for $100.

We had to tear the carpet out anyway because of my son's mold allergy, and replacing it with vinyl was the only other affordable alternative.

Later, if needed, we could put vinyl, tile, or laminate over it without a problem.

Now, it is the only thing I would consider doing to interior concrete.

We just ripped out our laminate and stained the slab (well, we put a thin overcoat on it) of our entire house. We did something wrong in the living room, but it's fixable. The rest of the house is beautiful, imo, and I love the ease of cleaning. AND, my son with really bad allergies has improved considerably. It's really worth looking into - affordable, allergy-friendly, do-able if you and dh can work as a team. We didn't do anything fancy with our floors, but here's a picture of the kitchen floor if anyone is interested.

http://www.thefoilhat.com/insidethefoilhatblog.htm?blogentryid=3644695 ETA: I should note there is some language in this blog entry that is highly unusual for me. I apologize.

Amy...your floor looks great!! I love what you did with the kitchen.

What is messed up in the LR? I couldn't tell....

Thanks - I'm surprisedly happy with the kitchen. These floors are just wonderful. We are lucky to have a distributor for the concrete stuff not 10 minutes away. When we got to the big living area, we ran out of one of the acid mix things. The distributor is closed on Sunday. DH, who didn't want to wait a day, decided that something he found at Home Depot was the SAME thing. Well, it wasn't. The stain didn't take to the whole floor and the concrete seeped back up. It's just UGLY. We'll redo it, with the proper supplies in the next month or so. Gaaahhh... just one of those stupid, avoidable home project things. Right? Live and learn.

Our supplier was all the way up in Northern VA...bad traffic.

The guy that worked there lived in our area so he was nice enough to drop the stuff off at my house.

Yes...we ran into the same problem but hubby waited until the guy could bring us some more of the etching solution.

It looks like your kitchen is from Ikea.....Is that where you got your sink?

I really like what you did but like you said...the living room can be fixed.

Beats having visiting kids take a hammer and screwdriver to your floor. We need to go back and fix that. I had to tell them that just because the floor is concrete doesn't mean it is there to be chiseled.....grrrrrrrr

Our supplier was all the way up in Northern VA...bad traffic.

The guy that worked there lived in our area so he was nice enough to drop the stuff off at my house.

Yes...we ran into the same problem but hubby waited until the guy could bring us some more of the etching solution.

It looks like your kitchen is from Ikea.....Is that where you got your sink?

I really like what you did but like you said...the living room can be fixed.

Beats having visiting kids take a hammer and screwdriver to your floor. We need to go back and fix that. I had to tell them that just because the floor is concrete doesn't mean it is there to be chiseled.....grrrrrrrr

WOW - he dropped the stuff off? Wonder if he needs a Disney vacation? :lol:Yes, the kitchen is IKEA - can I just say that their cabinets with drawers are AWESOME. And, the sink is just my most favorite thing ever. Really. Sad. But true.

I can soooo see one (in particular) of my sons doing this. Which is why we opted for doing the floor in one shot with no patterns or anything. (Did you see the pics of the house - in Maryland, I think - with the amazing compass design?)

WOW - he dropped the stuff off? Wonder if he needs a Disney vacation? :lol:Yes, the kitchen is IKEA - can I just say that their cabinets with drawers are AWESOME. And, the sink is just my most favorite thing ever. Really. Sad. But true.

I can soooo see one (in particular) of my sons doing this. Which is why we opted for doing the floor in one shot with no patterns or anything. (Did you see the pics of the house - in Maryland, I think - with the amazing compass design?)

I want that sink.....:lol:

Yes....My husband was trying to talk me into more of a pattern but the grid and diamonds was enough. Maybe in another house...one with out walls.

Did you use the water hose in the house like we did? The kids thought that was pretty cool.....:lol:

I told him if and when we build....the whole thing will be like that. You can now have the contractor's add the stuff to the cement. They can stain it and do a faux texture when they poor the concrete.

I want that sink.....:lol:

Yes....My husband was trying to talk me into more of a pattern but the grid and diamonds was enough. Maybe in another house...one with out walls.

Did you use the water hose in the house like we did? The kids thought that was pretty cool.....:lol:

I told him if and when we build....the whole thing will be like that. You can now have the contractor's add the stuff to the cement. They can stain it and do a faux texture when they poor the concrete.

No, we used our teenagers to drag in buckets of water rather than the hose. Our floors (in fact the whole remodel) were unplanned and we were looking for the cheapest way to make it look nice. We didn't want to run the risk of ruining the drywall that survived the flood that prompted all of this in the first place. :001_smile:

I'm so with you. If we ever build a house, I'm totally doing cool things to the concrete before they put up the walls. I actually have a file folder in my favorites of ideas I liked.

No, we used our teenagers to drag in buckets of water rather than the hose. Our floors (in fact the whole remodel) were unplanned and we were looking for the cheapest way to make it look nice. We didn't want to run the risk of ruining the drywall that survived the flood that prompted all of this in the first place. :001_smile:

I'm so with you. If we ever build a house, I'm totally doing cool things to the concrete before they put up the walls. I actually have a file folder in my favorites of ideas I liked.

Ahh....well, for future references. The hose works well...just make sure it's an adult doing the spraying....:lol:

We bought a roll of the pretaped plastic drop cloth and ran that all the way around the walls.....then just taped it to the top.

Works great!!

Ahh....well, for future references. The hose works well...just make sure it's an adult doing the spraying....:lol:

We bought a roll of the pretaped plastic drop cloth and ran that all the way around the walls.....then just taped it to the top.

Works great!!

You are kidding me??? They make pretaped plastic drop cloth??? :lol: I'll keep this info for future reference, but PLEASE don't tell dh. :lol: I cannot even describe how hard I'm laughing right now.

You are kidding me??? They make pretaped plastic drop cloth??? :lol: I'll keep this info for future reference, but PLEASE don't tell dh. :lol: I cannot even describe how hard I'm laughing right now.

:lol:...Okay...I won't tell him. You can "discover" it with the next painting job.....but um....even Walmart carries it.....:D

But in a happy, excited-for-you, good kind of way. You guys did a fantastic job on that floor!! I left a comment on your blog, but then I went back and stared at it some more and had to gush a little more about it. You really did yourselves proud with that. Great job! Thank you so much for sharing the pictures and process with us.

Dy

But in a happy, excited-for-you, good kind of way. You guys did a fantastic job on that floor!! I left a comment on your blog, but then I went back and stared at it some more and had to gush a little more about it. You really did yourselves proud with that. Great job! Thank you so much for sharing the pictures and process with us.

Dy

Thank you for leaving such a nice comment. My comments are set for moderation since my blog is open. It's been approved.

Thanks....I love that floor. Yes it is one of my happy spots. I have not felt that good about accomplishing something like I did when we finished that floor.

I really balked at the idea of bringing stuff back into the room. I wanted as little as possible. We have lots of book shelves and desks....so I can still see it. Well...except for the spot that was chiseled......:glare:

That spot is in the reading area and covered by a throw rug.....:lol:

My husband likes the DIY.....we need to do something up stairs and just don't have the funds for that one. The carpet is so bad, I am always embarrassed when people come over.....but it was original to the house when we bought it 10 years ago and the house is 23 years old.

If it were concrete...you'd better believe we would have done it upstairs also.

I am seriously thinking about ripping the carpet out anyway...treating the sub flooring and painting it. Nicely though. A nice faux finish. I have an airbrush.....:lol:

At least I wouldn't have to look at the carpet until we could afford to do something better.

Thank you for leaving such a nice comment. My comments are set for moderation since my blog is open. It's been approved.

Thanks....I love that floor. Yes it is one of my happy spots. I have not felt that good about accomplishing something like I did when we finished that floor.

I really balked at the idea of bringing stuff back into the room. I wanted as little as possible. We have lots of book shelves and desks....so I can still see it. Well...except for the spot that was chiseled......:glare:

That spot is in the reading area and covered by a throw rug.....:lol:

My husband likes the DIY.....we need to do something up stairs and just don't have the funds for that one. The carpet is so bad, I am always embarrassed when people come over.....but it was original to the house when we bought it 10 years ago and the house is 23 years old.

If it were concrete...you'd better believe we would have done it upstairs also.

I am seriously thinking about ripping the carpet out anyway...treating the sub flooring and painting it. Nicely though. A nice faux finish. I have an airbrush.....:lol:

At least I wouldn't have to look at the carpet until we could afford to do something better.

DH's cousin did a beautiful floor treatment in a formal dining room - using paper napkins and clear coat!! You just have to be ready to think out of the box. ;) I didn't even notice that the border was made of napkins, but she was bursting to tell someone. Otherwise we'd never have known. LOL!

And don't sweat the chiseled spot. It makes a great story.

My husband is a painting contractor and also installs wood floors, I'm going to look around and see if there are any seminars on doing this work too (I'm sure he could learn on his own, but a seminar would be helpful) Anyway, it looks beautiful and thanks for the idea to further his trades, now if I can get him to agree!

Phlox

DH's cousin did a beautiful floor treatment in a formal dining room - using paper napkins and clear coat!! You just have to be ready to think out of the box. ;) I didn't even notice that the border was made of napkins, but she was bursting to tell someone. Otherwise we'd never have known. LOL!

And don't sweat the chiseled spot. It makes a great story.

After I read this last night, I had the most brilliant idea!!! Thanks for getting the brain juices going.....now to see if I can get my husband to agree.....:lol:

My husband is a painting contractor and also installs wood floors, I'm going to look around and see if there are any seminars on doing this work too (I'm sure he could learn on his own, but a seminar would be helpful) Anyway, it looks beautiful and thanks for the idea to further his trades, now if I can get him to agree!

Phlox

There are some companies that train to do this. Just do an internet search on concrete stain and skim coat. There is another technique where a skim coat of concrete is applies to the floor. This technique has a wider variety of colors to choose from.

This is a great idea for doing patios and driveways also.