Menu

Latin recommendations for a 4th grader and 6th grader

I, too, began Lively Latin (BBOLL1) when my oldest two were in 4th and 6th grade. I had no Latin experience myself, and we've used it to teach the three of us. We are now on Book 2.

I think it's really pretty great--and there are videos to watch online, the audio guides can be downloaded onto your computer, and it is so handy to be able to print out 3 books for all of us to learn. The videos are of good quality, the audio files are also very good. The text is engaging and has been a good asset to our history study. My art focused child appreciates the opportunities to draw. Mr. Engineer happily skips on by.

Here is the website....

And here is the link to a very good B/W duplex laser printer. :) Folks around here seem to love this printer, as I do. When the price drops, folks may even drop a note on the board to let people know.

The Big Book of Latin might just be it! I like the idea of being able to print out more than one copy as needed since I will be teaching more than one student. Since I have other kids (13, 5, and 2), I will probably not be available for every lesson. Did you find that the Big Book could be used fairly independently? My kids are used to working independently. Do you think they would enjoy working together without me?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yes, BBOLL is for independent workers. I will say, though, that I remember getting mired down pretty well within the first few chapters..and this is something that has been discussed on this board. I would expect most people (and dc) to have moments of struggle and confusion. Rather than deter us, I just acceptable this struggle as part of the process and I believe it deepened our learning. The younger of my two children using this program has done a great job of teaching herself with BBOLL.

You will have the benefit that we did not have at that time, however, of her VIDEO teachings. Yay for that!

One thing to keep in mind is that BBOLL has one learn chants--and initially, the student does not know exactly "what" it is that he is learning in the very beginning. As you go along, you will find out...you can trust the process. With a little extra study, asking questions here, etc...you can figure out where you are heading. I personally like knowing exactly what it is I'm learning. :) So, I'm chanting this list...it's a conjugation...and this is what it is and does. :)

We are doing Getting Started with Latin.

I just ordered it at Amazon as I'm planning on starting it this summer with my 5th and 7th graders. I've read nothing but positive reviews and looking at the sample pages at Amazon, it looks suitable for nearly any age.

I love Memoria Press Latin too, but I think for 4th and 6th grade you should start w/Latina Christiana I, then move into First Form next year. I wouldn't put the 4th grader in FF and on track for Second Form in 5th grade. I think it would be too much for most kids.

LCI is a fun beginning program for that age group. You get the songs and the prayers and the history and mapwork scheduled right in for you. I taught it last year in co-op to exactly that age group: 4th = 6th graders and it was perfect. They all moved up to First Form w/high schoolers this year that were taking it for credit, and it was a big step up. My dd at 5th grade is the youngest in the class. I wouldn't have wanted her doing it any younger. Just my opinion. First Form has so much grammar and translation that it is very hard to get in any of the extra "fun" stuff like the songs and prayers and games, and it takes all week to complete the homework for my 5th grader, where the high schoolers and some of the middle schoolers can do it a bit quicker (and some can't keep up honestly.)

I actually own Getting Started with Latin. It does look good but it was not structured enough for me. I was going to have to be too involved for it to work.

It's just an introduction, but FWIW, there is nothing to structure. You just do the next lesson. That's it :) . It has to be the least complicated Latin book I've seen.

What is the next step after BBOLL 2? Has anyone gone on to more Latin after BBOLL 2?

I really like the looks of Latina Christiana I but I am afraid First Form will be too much the next year in fifth grade.

My ds11 is finishing up BBLL2 and I'm planning on using the GP books. IIRC he'd probably go into LP2. [is this right, Laura?]ETA: OP, you can use Lively Latin with both your 4th and 6th graders; but, be prepared for your 6th grader to move at a quicker pace. I wouldn't try to keep them together, personally.

My ds11 is finishing up BBLL2 and I'm planning on using the GP books. IIRC he'd probably go into LP2. [is this right, Laura?]ETA: OP, you can use Lively Latin with both your 4th and 6th graders; but, be prepared for your 6th grader to move at a quicker pace. I wouldn't try to keep them together, personally.

I would go into LP 1 and just move faster until you start to meet new material. The translations in LP can get tough.

Laura

Galore Park - Latin Prep is suitable from age 10. You can buy them from horriblebooks.com or bookdepository.co.uk

Laura

I second Laura's recommendation for LP. My 11 yo is in LP 2 now and making great progress. But one problem I'm running into is that I don't know enough-he is definitely getting ahead of me. He's already gone further in Latin than either of his older brothers. Any thoughts on this? I definitely cannot go ahead of him-I can't learn as fast as he can and he's already ahead of ME.

But just to reiterate-LP is a great program. It's the Singapore Math of Latin programs IMO!

I second Laura's recommendation for LP. My 11 yo is in LP 2 now and making great progress. But one problem I'm running into is that I don't know enough-he is definitely getting ahead of me. He's already gone further in Latin than either of his older brothers. Any thoughts on this? I definitely cannot go ahead of him-I can't learn as fast as he can and he's already ahead of ME.

But just to reiterate-LP is a great program. It's the Singapore Math of Latin programs IMO!

It was a humbling experience teaching LP. By the middle of book 3, I would sit on the sofa with Calvin - he would be translating English to Latin; I would have the answer manual. When he got something wrong, I would ask him what he thought the problem was and then we would research back through the text book together.

Laura

We are in our 2nd year of Latin with Rosetta Stone. This has been invaluable to us as we have 8 children and need an independent program.

A related question (rathole?) is that I never see Rosetta Stone discussed on these boards. Is there a reason that it doesn't seem to get much press here?

What about doing BBOLL 1, skipping BBOLL 2 and going straight to LP 1?

Yes, you could do that from age 10 onwards - LP1 assumes not previous Latin experience

Off the original topic, would you start an 8th grader in LP 1 or So You Really Want to Learn Latin?

What are your goals and what kind of a child is it?

LP was designed to be used over three years from about ages 10-13. It has supplementary workbooks with extra practice during the first year. It assumes no previous Latin experience.

SY Latin was designed to be used over three years from about age 13-16. It also assumes no previous Latin knowledge. SY goes further in the same number of books, however, moving faster in the process. In a UK school, pupils would definitely have learned another language before age 13 (French, Spanish or German usually) so will have a feel for language learning.

So, if the child has little previous experience of learning a foreign language or needs a gentler Latin experience, I would go with LP. If s/he is ready to dig teeth into some rigour or has other language-learning experience, SY Latin might be a better choice.

Another option is to do LP books 1-3 then follow up with SY book 3 for review/extension.

Disclaimer: I have used LP books 1-3, but have only looked at SY Latin.

Laura

We are in our 2nd year of Latin with Rosetta Stone. This has been invaluable to us as we have 8 children and need an independent program.

A related question (rathole?) is that I never see Rosetta Stone discussed on these boards. Is there a reason that it doesn't seem to get much press here?

I tried RS Spanish...it kept uninstalling itself. Someone broke the headphones....I bought more and they were ok, I kept re installing it...finally I had to give up.

We already had been using Memoria's Latin.

I am switching from Latina Christiana now to BBLL 1. I wanted to see the difference in Classical and Ecclesiastical Latin. BBLL offers both.

I am looking for Spanish now.

Since I am reading the updates in TWTM: I am going to use BBLL 1 in place of Prima Latina for my 3rd and 4th graders and Latin Road is replacing Latina Christiana just because I am battling my 13 yr. old on it. I will have to keep looking for Spanish for her too and I am looking at Learnables right now. Analytical Grammar will be sufficient as well to supplement.