Menu

How visually scary and gross is walking dead? How much pop-up-BOO! type scary stuff is there?

unsinkable

I think the appeal is the end of the world scenario. It has more humanity and realistic what ifs, how to's, and so on.

It's just more---human, if you will, than the movies.

This. I'm normally not a zombie show/movie fan and I don't care for the gore in this show. But I keep watching because of the story about humanity. I and many others, find it fascinating.

Really, what is fascinating about it is psychologically watching how people change under extreme circumstances. THAT is the point of the Walking Dead. THAT is what most people find fascinating. Sure some survivalists find the show interesting. But if they're getting their ideas from a fictional show, who cares? I'm sure there are people who believe in aliens that watch Doctor Who, too. If you don't care about it, don't watch it.

And to further espouse on what Mommymilkies has said--it's not so much a how to shoot zombies type flick. It really is about the future--bio warfare, what if.. that sort of thing. The show is highly emotional for the human interaction part. The Walking Dead aren't exactly the zombies. :D

:iagree:

I usually avoid gory/scary movies and books. I was reluctant to watch The Walking Dead from the description on Netflix. DH and I passed on it several times. But one night we finally watched an episode and we both got hooked.

Yes it is gory, but it IMO the directors do a great job in giving the violence a graphic novel feel and they contrast that effectively with the character development. The zombie fight scenes are reminiscent of a Halloween haunted house sometimes. Some parts are super cheesy too but then they throw in an excellent line that elevates the show to a new level. As far as the pop out scares--there are very few of these. Many many times DH and I have wondered if a zombie was about to appear, but one doesn't. The suspense builds up and you imagine one might be around the corner, but usually one doesn't show up. Makes it all the more intense.

As for the op, yeah, it's gory. Less so as the show goes on, I think, but you're probably not going to want to start with season three. I do think it's worth watching and looking away at the freaky parts if you have to, though. The show is an amazing study on human nature, and the actors are so, so good.

Edited by Moderator
Edted to remove snark.

OK-I'll admit to never hearing about this show. Where have I been? I have a tough time with gore, though. I didn't even want to continue watching Breaking Bad because of the vilence/gore at first, but it's now my all time favorite series. Maybe I should try this one.

The bathtub scene is one of the worst gag inducing scenes I watched...and I watched thru my fingers.

That being said....

MAGNETS, B!/CHES!

I do think it's worth watching and looking away at the freaky parts if you have to, though. The show is an amazing study on human nature, and the actors are so, so good.

I'm not embarrassed to say that's what I do. Not all the time, but sometimes the gore is just a bit too much for me. I close my eyes and ask dh & ds to tell me when I can open them. Yes, ds watches with us too.

I usually avoid gory/scary movies and books. I was reluctant to watch The Walking Dead from the description on Netflix. DH and I passed on it several times. But one night we finally watched an episode and we both got hooked.

I was reluctant because, as I said upthread, I just don't like zombie stuff (other than to laugh about the zombie apocalypse). One day I thought I'd watch a few minutes of the pilot just to see what all the talk was about. Dh was in the room but was on his computer and not really watching. We were both hooked after that first episode. I kept telling ds I thought he'd like it, and he finally started watching it on Netflix after dh & I finished. He watched the first two seasons in a marathon viewing so that he'd be caught up when Season 3 started. We're all fans here now.

I'm not embarrassed to say that's what I do. Not all the time, but sometimes the gore is just a bit too much for me. I close my eyes and ask dh & ds to tell me when I can open them. Yes, ds watches with us too.

I do that whenever there's any, er, stomping involved. :001_unsure:

It is the same fascination with vampires these days. Fantasy fear.

Some people really like that kind of stuff.

It isn't really anything new. Shelly's Frankenstein's monster, 18th Century poetry of Vampires, and one we are more familiar with, Dracula.

There is a fear of those things which we (in our head) know are not true but there is that "what if they were" phenomenon about them.

Dawn

Just don't get it. Once you see something, it's in there forever. I don't want to see these scenes when I close my eyes at night. I can still see that eye ball bouncing. I can still hear the sounds of an ax splitting the head.

I don't believe in Zombies. I don't think they will EVER take over the world, so really, what's there to watch as a how to thing?? Seriously. I'm not being snarky. Do people really think Zombie's exist? Do they really think the Zombie Apocalypse is coming? It's a fictional show about fictional characters.

I truly just don't get it. Like I don't get "Twilight" <shrugs shoulders>

That show disturbs me. I don't like violence for the sake of violence, I don't like gore for the sake of gore. From the little of it I've been unfortunate enough to witness, the whole story IS about how violent and gory it all is.

There seems to be an "obligatory ultra gory zombie head smashing scene" in each episode. Usually there's only one such scene per episode unless it happens to be an ultra gory episode. There were complaints from fans during season 2 that the gore was toned down so I think they always put it in there now to keep the gore fans happy.

Since you say you've just watched a little, chances are you stumbled in on an obligatory gore scene.

The bathtub scene is one of the worst gag inducing scenes I watched...and I watched thru my fingers.

That being said....

MAGNETS, B!/CHES!

Lol, best show ever! I think this is why dh wishes I'd watch walking dead. He tells me the character developement is on par with breaking bad. I was just never able to get past the gore. When I recently peaked at episodes, I was able to engage a little, but dh says I need to go back to the beginning to really get it. I'm just not willing to do that.

So, BB comes back when? I'm dying! I can't believe it's coming to an end.

Our reactions to literature and movies are interesting. Our reactions are 90% about US and maybe 10% about the book or film itself. We can learn so much about other PEOPLE by watching them react to a film. When we focus on debating the merits of a film, we lose the opportunity to learn about other people.

I react oddly to films. What triggers me doesn't trigger other people and vice-versa.

I actually had a seizure over the Disney cartoon version of Beauty and the Beast, right after I filed for divorce, and was in such a fragile state. A friend tried putting in cartoons knowing I couldn't handle most adult fare, but even that was too much for ME at that TIME. I flipped out about Beauty being such a poor role model to young girls and screamed that the movie encouraged girls to accept domestic abuse. Then my friend put on Casper and I burst into tears because the big ghosts were being so mean to Casper. My friend turned off the TV and made me take some meds. :lol:

Funny thing is, that last year, I watched a few episodes of Walking Dead on a library copy of Season 1 and don't remember being distressed at all. :biggrinjester: I don't even remember it being gory!

This morning I was watching Double Jeopardy and burst into tears when the mom in jail was presented with a birthday cake on her son's 8th birthday. Total waterworks that I was trying SO hard to hide from my friend that was getting ready to leave for an appointment and didn't have time to stop and comfort me.

This is all MY messed up stuff though, and obviously has NOTHING to do with the films. My reactions are more extreme than others, but I think everyone here is reacting to the Walking Dead based on their OWN unique biology and past experiences and that EVERY reaction is valid and worthy of hearing.

If someone wants to talk about their strong or unusual reaction, maybe we can listen? Maybe we can use it to get to know them better? Maybe we can validate THEIR experience, without needing to defend our own?

• 2 weeks later...

Dh got me hooked and it's really not my thing at all... Some of the "squished a zombie in the head with an axe" sounds are a little tough for me but we agreed to not watch it in surround sound anymore lol.. It does have some gore but it's spread out because of the drama aspect. It wouldn't be much of a show if it was all about kills.

I think if you just watch it you will get hooked and you will get past the gore,sounds and random pop up scares...and if you scream. No big deal in the comfort of your own home ;)

Lol, best show ever! I think this is why dh wishes I'd watch walking dead. He tells me the character developement is on par with breaking bad. I was just never able to get past the gore. When I recently peaked at episodes, I was able to engage a little, but dh says I need to go back to the beginning to really get it. I'm just not willing to do that.

So, BB comes back when? I'm dying! I can't believe it's coming to an end.

maybe July?

Remember Hank sitting on the toilet the look on his face?

What does Hank know?!?!

I am not a violence/gore watcher, but I love wd. To me, its mostly zombie gore, and...zombies aren't real. So, no problem for me. I can't watch crime shows with violence or gore, but fantasy is ok for me because obviously, I won't lay awake at night worrying about zombies! Crime show scenarios (especially serial killers, or torture, or kids) just sit in my head and scare me, because that's people doing it and I suppose theoretically it could happen. I don't have a problem with zombie violence because I can't replace the people it's happening to with my family in my head, because zombies are so clearly not real.

That said, I look away at gross stuff and Dh tells me when it's ok to look. If Andrea had been tortured like they alluded to, I wouldn't watch anymore, but they didn't go there.