Menu

Poll - Kittens/Cats or Puppies/Dogs

Pegasus

Cats or Dogs  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Add 2 kittens/cats or 2 puppies/dogs to household?

• 2 kittens/cats
    • 2 puppies/dogs
    • 1 of each
    • neither, you already have 2 pets. that's enough

We recently lost a cat to chronic kidney disease. We are now down to 1 cat and 1 dog, an all time low for us. We've had as many as 6 cats and dogs.

We are not in a rush but are already talking about adding either 2 new kittens/cats or 2 new puppies/dogs. We usually get rescue animals and are not set on getting very young ones.

So, cats or dogs?

I voted cats, but only because they are easier to take care of. I love dogs as well, but right now my baby/toddler/preschooler make all the puppy-style mayhem I can handle.

I think it really comes down to what pets you are most yearning for.

And also what the local humane society's needs are at the moment if you really don't have a preference. We weren't planning to get a cat but when we met ours and he only had one eye, we just couldn't say no. I'm glad because he's been the best cat I've ever had!

Recently we learned that a rescue operation was a fraud and over a hundred dogs were being kept in dire conditions in a warehouse that was seized by the police. Now those local humane society's are over-capacity and really need people to rescue dogs.

If you really want both a cat and a dog, I'd do two kittens (or one adult cat) and one dog. I would not do two dogs at one time, unless it were a foster situation or I was a professional dog trainer with time on my hands. Personally, I'd go with a dog because I'm a dog person and my one cat is a deranged psycopath (I have no desire to provide him with minions for his army of world domination), but that's just me. Y'all have to go with what you want. I might just wait for the "right" cat OR dog to "find" me via rescue options, you know? That's kind of how we've added dogs to the family in the past. We won't be actively searching, but one day that photo will pop up on one of the rescue sites and bam, there ya go.

I agree, one dog at a time, especially puppies!! There are a few cases of BFF adult dogs that should really be kept together if at all possible, but that is the exception to the rule!

I love our kitties, they are so easy and sweet and fun. But there is nothing like the bond between man and dog, sometimes I love mine so much it makes me tear up.

I voted to stick with the 2 you have and don't add any more. The 2 remaining pets are familiar with each other, but they've just lost a companion. Now is not the time to foist strangers amongst them. There are never guarantees that new pets will be welcomed by the resident pets, and adding new (especially if they are kittens or puppies) is a lot of stress to put on your current pets, more so if the current pets are older/senior pets, IMO.

Dogs are fine in their way, but I have come to like cats much more as pets. It's just so much work to raise dogs into civil creatures who don't wreck everything. Cats are very easy to add to a family.

I would keep it with what you have.

But if you have to add pets from your list pick 2 cats. Because,... Cats RULE!

And dogs DROOL!

(Two kittens, not adults, preferably litter mates, would be my recommendation.)

2 cats/kittens. Get litter mates if you can, or at least ones that you can observe get along well over an extended period of time. Honestly, I'd choose adult cats if you can b/c they're less likely to find good homes than cute fluffy kittens are.

As a PSA: Anyone that happens to live near the Houston area, I know of a momma cat and 4 new babies that will need good homes.

I voted to stick with the 2 you have and don't add any more. The 2 remaining pets are familiar with each other, but they've just lost a companion. Now is not the time to foist strangers amongst them. There are never guarantees that new pets will be welcomed by the resident pets, and adding new (especially if they are kittens or puppies) is a lot of stress to put on your current pets, more so if the current pets are older/senior pets, IMO.

I agree!

My dh and my 17yo are both allergic to cats, but I would go for kittens if I could. I think kittens work great in pairs. I only recommend one puppy at a time though.

We currently have a 9mo German Shepherd puppy and while she is wonderful, I really miss how easy our Golden Retriever was. I am very ready for her to be past the puppy stage now. She is much easier now than she was just a few months ago.