Menu

Recently diagnosed with PMLE or allergy to the sun

Freckles

The rash and itch are about to make me rip my skin off. Does anyone in the hive have any helpful ideas for coping. I live in S. Ca. I can't get away from the sun. Currently I'm sitting in my living room with the shades shut. I don't want to have to wear long pants everyday. Totally bummed out.

I just finished a week of Prednisone, and I have two new itchy patches on my legs from wearing a skirt on Easter Sunday.

I am not diagnosed, but I get a rash if I'm in the sun much.

I wear strong sunscreen. I have a large sun hat with a wide brim.

I'll still wear long sleeves sometimes in the summer if I don't want to wear sunscreen, but i still have to put it on the backs of my hands.

Sorry!

I'm on medication that has made me extremely sun sensitive too - it does suck. I get a deep layer sunburn in about 10 minutes of exposure.

Stock up on light flowy fabrics that give full coverage. I find skirts are cooler than pants. Check out middle eastern clothing shops for very lightweight, full coverage items. I wear hijab, so that covers all but my face, and in the worst of the summer sun I sometimes will pull my scarf across my lower face for coverage, or pair hijab with a wide brim hat to give better coverage.

I was told by my doc that I can take up to 4 zyrtec for hives.

Not saying you can, but that is my go-to for hives.

Thanks, Parrothead. I currently take claritin daily as well as 2 Zantac for solar urticaria. I just got off of prednisone for this rash (not hives.) It feels like nothing helps.

sorry you are going through this I'm grumpy because I have Rosecea and have a full face bumps because dumb me forgot to wear my hat while working in the sun this week. Mine is also seasonal come spring and fall i have break out but am ok during the summer. I'm all grumpy with just the break out I would go nuts if itched also.

Hope you find something that helps!

Thanks, Parrothead. I currently take claritin daily as well as 2 Zantac for solar urticaria. I just got off of prednisone for this rash (not hives.) It feels like nothing helps.

The Zantac should help. Are you taking the 150mg? My allergist also prescribed Singular. I don't take it all the time. I worry about building up a tolerance. But I do take it during historically bad months. It seems to be working. Do you have an allergist?

I was told by a PA in the ER once that they have more luck with Zyrtec for treating hives.

My son was on Zyrtec for a while for environmental allergies. It never helped with hives though...we use Benadryl for that.

My husband has been on Singulair for years and hasn't had an issue with it. Allergies and medications are so particular though. Sigh.

Do you have it year round? My daughter had it at the start of summer every year, when she started spending time outdoors again after the long winter. So, she really only had to be careful for about a week. But, she actually had to be IN the sun and get the itchy rash, and then it's like her body would adjust for the rest of the summer. Sometimes her entire face would swell up.

Interestingly, now that she lives in a climate that is warm and sunny year round, she doesn't get it anymore.

A wide-brimmed hat, or a hat with the cloth that goes down the back of your neck.

Light-colored long-sleeved shirts, long skirts, and slacks. Look for swim/beach wear with "UPF" fabric that's light but still blocks the sun.

A long-sleeved, light beach coverup that you can throw on over top of whatever you're wearing when you will only be outside for a short time, so you can still wear your "normal" clothes while indoors.

Check on tinted window film that may help with UV blocking without you having to keep your blinds closed (bonus, it can also make your house a lot harder for people or windstorms to break into through the windows).

Thanks everybody for the wonderful suggestions. I'm just bummed because I just bought my summer wardrobe when I thought it was eczema. Shorts, sleeveless tops, sandals, etc... Oh well! I try to protect my skin anyway because I'm so fair and covered in freckles.

The Zantac should help. Are you taking the 150mg? My allergist also prescribed Singular. I don't take it all the time. I worry about building up a tolerance. But I do take it during historically bad months. It seems to be working. Do you have an allergist?

I was told by a PA in the ER once that they have more luck with Zyrtec for treating hives.

I can't function on Zyrtec. It makes me so sleepy. I do take the 150mg Zantac. I don't have an allergist, but I will be seeing a new dermatologist soon.

sorry you are going through this I'm grumpy because I have Rosecea and have a full face bumps because dumb me forgot to wear my hat while working in the sun this week. Mine is also seasonal come spring and fall i have break out but am ok during the summer. I'm all grumpy with just the break out I would go nuts if itched also.

Hope you find something that helps!

Sorry! That doesn't sound fun at all. This is my first time to break out with the rash. I lived a year and a half with idiopathic urticaria and angioedema. I'm wondering now if it wasn't solar urticaria.

Just thought I'd add make sure you start supplementing Vitamin D and/or get lots of it through your diet. Having to avoid the sun means your body won't get stimulated by it to make enough on its own. Cod Liver Oil supplements are good for this, as is fortified dairy, etc.It's not something people in So-Cal are used to having to think about.