Menu

Summer/camping clothes

NotSoObvious

My first thought was Goodwill or other thrift store............then again I am thinking more out in the woods, getting really dirty, ruining the clothes type camping, etc. whereas you might be thinking more of the looking cute and fashionable type clothes.

My first thought was Goodwill or other thrift store............then again I am thinking more out in the woods, getting really dirty, ruining the clothes type camping, etc. whereas you might be thinking more of the looking cute and fashionable type clothes.

Definitely getting dirty and being in the woods!

Hand-me-downs & Target for the kids. DH likes Sears, but they closed down where we are. Kohl's mostly for me, though some Penney's. Walmart and tourist attraction gift shops if we need something when we are traveling.

Definitely getting dirty and being in the woods!

Dh and ds get their backpacking clothes mostly at REI and Academy Sports. This is for serious backpacking through the Grand Canyon and Smokey Mountains. Shirts, shorts, underwear, and socks that wick moisture. NO COTTON!

Oh, thank you for asking this, OP! I am not a camper nor do I dream of being a camper. I hate heat, humidity and mosquitos. However, my dd desperately wants to go to camp this summer with her American Heritage Girls and she wanted me to come with her, so I am signed up to be one of the parents to go. The thing is I never wear shorts because of mosquitos! I tend to wear long skirts and cotton pants in the summer just because I want to keep my legs covered. Even so I get bitten all around my ankles! I am wondering what to wear camping. That skirt does look so awesome! I'd love to find a couple of light weight, easy to clean, breathable pants.

I don't know if I should offer a sincere thanks for starting this topic or a sarcastic one because I just placed an order at Sierra Trading Company. It was for a bit more than I had intended to buy but I never know what sizes to purchase online so hopefully I'll end up with a shirt and a pair of shorts that I love and everything else can go back.

I also like the Macabi skirt, which might suit some of our more conservative moms.

To expand - this skirt is made of a very lightweight, cool fabric that dries quickly. You can wear it alone in the summer or over leggings if it gets cold. The pockets are *amazing*. They are nice and deep and will hold a ton of stuff. Plus there is a "secret" zippered pocket for a passport, money, etc. I have actually traced the pocket piece and used it in another skirt I made; in fact it is now my "go to" pocket pattern. I haven't worn it as pants (I am a skirt lover), but I like all things technical and multi-use so I think it's neat that you can. It's a quality piece, perfect for camping and/or travel. It's nice to put your bits and pieces in the pockets and hike without a purse to worry about. It is not high-fashion, but it is high-function and very comfortable. I have a similar skirt from Travelsmith (although the pockets aren't quite as amazing), but it is vintage and I don't think Travelsmith makes that kind of thing nowadays.

If you're not opposed to pesticides, I really recommend permethrin-treated clothing. You can buy a spray to do it yourself, so you can treat your shoes, socks, skirt, or pants and you will be so happy. I even treat tights when we're in high-tick areas and my daughter and I wear them under our pants or shorts. I don't care that I look like a freak! I usually treat one complete outfit for myself each year, and I only wear it hiking, not just whenever, so that I know how often I've washed it and so that I don't wear something with pesticides on it, even though I know it's pretty safe. I buy a pack of cheap white t's and a bunch of white tights for my daughter and label all of them on the tag so I know which are her tick clothes, then we toss those out each year. I know it's wasteful, but I don't want to give them away to unsuspecting Rescue Mission shoppers who didn't want pesticides on their clothes!

Here's one of the sprays, but I usually get one at EMS. They're all pretty much the same; just follow the directions.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Premium-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B007VCRX2S

You can buy pre-treated clothes, too, but I like doing my own. The pre-treated stuff is more expensive, too.

I am a freak about ticks. I know a dozen people who have had Lyme disease, and we live in an area where there are very ticky pockets and visit another ticky area frequently. My daughter is a tick magnet, and this has ended our problems with ticks. It works great for mosquitos, too!

Thanks Mrs JWM, I have several family members who have suffered terribly from Lyme. And I also know several young people who have gotten terribly, terribly ill from it. It is pandemic around here. So thanks for the tip. I truly appreciate it.

Agreeing that occasional wearing of permethrin treated clothing is preferable to acquiring Lyme's. We lay out all the camping clothes in the driveway, or hang them from a broomstick suspended between ladders, and spray away, air dry before packing. Even when it's hot out, lightweight clothing that covers is better than shorts that leave the ankles bare.

We are fans of Bass Pro's line of quick-dry fishing shirts and pants. Roll up or down, zip on or off... look for sales.

If you're not opposed to pesticides, I really recommend permethrin-treated clothing. You can buy a spray to do it yourself, so you can treat your shoes, socks, skirt, or pants and you will be so happy. I even treat tights when we're in high-tick areas and my daughter and I wear them under our pants or shorts. I don't care that I look like a freak! I usually treat one complete outfit for myself each year, and I only wear it hiking, not just whenever, so that I know how often I've washed it and so that I don't wear something with pesticides on it, even though I know it's pretty safe. I buy a pack of cheap white t's and a bunch of white tights for my daughter and label all of them on the tag so I know which are her tick clothes, then we toss those out each year. I know it's wasteful, but I don't want to give them away to unsuspecting Rescue Mission shoppers who didn't want pesticides on their clothes!

Here's one of the sprays, but I usually get one at EMS. They're all pretty much the same; just follow the directions.

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B007VCRX2S

You can buy pre-treated clothes, too, but I like doing my own. The pre-treated stuff is more expensive, too.

I am a freak about ticks. I know a dozen people who have had Lyme disease, and we live in an area where there are very ticky pockets and visit another ticky area frequently. My daughter is a tick magnet, and this has ended our problems with ticks. It works great for mosquitos, too!

Great advice. Ex Officio sells pre-treated clothes, though as PP said, they are more expensive. Don't forget to treat your shoes!