Menu

Making Cuisinaire Rods

Giraffe

I have been considering making 100 flats but I really think making rods would be tricky unless you were able to purchase 1cm by 1cm lengths. If you could purchase that or get it made you could just cut it to length. It would be a huge job and unless you were skilled or very patient the end result may not be as good as you would like. Do your kids have Lego - of so use that instead.

No Legos here either. I found a paper template and might make do with that for now until I can get to the US this summer and get a proper set. DD has kinesthetic tendencies so I think a real set would be helpful to her. She's struggling with numbers, counting, everything.

There are lots of good ideas linked to this blog:

http://first-grade-garden.blogspot.com/2011/09/math-stations-set-1.html

and here's one with sponges you cut up yourself:

http://www.classroomdiy.com/2012/06/diy-place-value-manipulatives.html

I got to these by searching "Manipulatives" and "Cuisinaire" on pinterest. You could have some luck with "DIY Cuisinaire" or "DIY Math manipulatives" on google.

I had a friend who made a game out of "making 10s". She had beans glued on popsicle sticks- first she drew lines across so there were always 10 spaces on the stick. Then she glued beans in some of the spaces. She made it a race for her child to put however many beans were required to make 10. (So if 7 were glued there, then 3 spaces would be empty and the kid had to put the remaining 3 and then write on a laminated sheet "7 + 3 = 10" with a wipe-off pen.

I've found that when my kids get to help me make the game (glue! markers! MESSES!!!!) then they are way more into it.

Can you get smallish square dowels? If so, it would be pretty easy, though a little time consuming. Except for a few sheets in Miquon, they don't HAVE to be 1cm. Just take square rods and cut them into cubes for ones, twice that length for twos, etc. Then you can paint them the appropriate colors.

If she is gentle you could use the template on felt or foam or just the heaviest cardboard you can find. Where are you by the way?

I'm in Turkey. I'm sure there are Legos somewhere but we don't have any in the house. Too busy with stuffed animals and nanobugs.

Sponges might work, as might foam. Actually, foam sounds like a good idea. I might look into that.

thank you!!!

Honestly, this sounds like quite an undertaking. I think I would just pay for the shipping. If budget is an issue, I would take it out of my grocery budget (I tend to do that) and have a couple cheap meals to make up for it. Eating rice and beans one night to avoid a task like that? Good deal.

The shipping is almost as much as the actual product. I'll do it if I need to, but golly day - paying 14 Pounds Sterling for a 20 Pound Sterling product is hard. In US$ terms, I'll be paying almost $50 for one 300 piece set. Yowzers! :svengo:

That being said, I did just pay more in shipping than the sum total of the products to have something shipped from the US, so maybe I just need to swallow hard and do it.

The shipping is almost as much as the actual product. I'll do it if I need to, but golly day - paying 14 Pounds Sterling for a 20 Pound Sterling product is hard. In US$ terms, I'll be paying almost $50 for one 300 piece set. Yowzers! :svengo:

That being said, I did just pay more in shipping than the sum total of the products to have something shipped from the US, so maybe I just need to swallow hard and do it.

Think of it this way: $50 for the only math manipulative you'll need.

(I play games like that with myself when faced with a particularly nasty shipping price. :001_smile: )

Think of it this way: $50 for the only math manipulative you'll need.

(I play games like that with myself when faced with a particularly nasty shipping price. :001_smile: )

Can you explain that to DH? (He doesn't know about the other package I ordered either....)

But, yes, I'll probably end up doing it. I was hoping.... :sad:

Can you explain that to DH? (He doesn't know about the other package I ordered either....)

But, yes, I'll probably end up doing it. I was hoping.... :sad:

Oooooh, DH. It doesn't seem to work as well when I try to explain it to another rational adult who is also concerned about our budget. I try, really I do: "Honey, just think ... instead of spending $100 on xyz product, I'm ONLY spending $50 on c-rods, and they can do MORE! Do you really want your children's education hampered because of $50?"

Having said that the set I have cost about $60 NZ to buy in a shop here. I just bought the first series magic school bus plus another series the same price from amazon UK and the price including postage was the same as buying the magic school bus through the school from scholastic.

I price LoF this week and it would 10 to 15 dollars a book cheaper to buy from overseas.

Having said that the set I have cost about $60 NZ to buy in a shop here. I just bought the first series magic school bus plus another series the same price from amazon UK and the price including postage was the same as buying the magic school bus through the school from scholastic.

I price LoF this week and it would 10 to 15 dollars a book cheaper to buy from overseas.

Yeah, you "win". That stinks!

The thing is, I don't think I can even find C-Rods (or anything remotely like them) anywhere in Turkey. If I could, I'd buy them in a heartbeat, even for more money. Purchasing locally uses a different funding stream than my US credit card. Long story.

It's late here (almost 2am!) so I'm going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow what I'm going to do. I don't NEED them right away, so maybe I just wait and get them in the US when we go this summer. I just want to start working with DD right away as she's needing some remedial work in numbers and counting and relationships already.

And I'm just impatient. :toetap05:

I know I get impatient too when i want to do something now and the product or the money is not there. Maybe look at some games to play for now perhaps you could draw the rods the make up 10 and match them to numbers so she will be ready when you get them. Good luck.

I am going to try making 100 flats and a thousand cube so I'll let you know how that goes.

I figured I would post in this thread since this is the one about the c-rods!

Another idea for the short term until the summer would be to use the number strips from MEP.

http://www.cimt.plym...ary/y1acm_1.pdf

Scroll down several pages and you will see the template for them. You could color them the same colors as the rods.

ETA: I see that you have already considered paper templates...sorry!

Do you have a store there that sells Montessori material? Look at their number rods, those may work for you. If not you could make your own, they are larger but I imagine the material would be easy to purchase (and cheaper). I'm sure you use metric but they would be 1"X1" lumber (what ever that ends up being there). Here is a fantastic example of a homemade set, she used oak but if it's just for one child you could use whatever is the most inexpensive, she could even help you paint the sections. I think you could make them a little smaller and just do smaller sections.

http://mymontessorimoments.com/2011/12/27/handmade-montessori-number-rods/

Is there a lumber yard or home improvement store nearby? They might sell 1 cm wide sticks you could cut and paint. Orange is 10cm., blue is 9 cm, etc.

I wish! Though now that I think of it there is one slim possibility.

Do you have a store there that sells Montessori material? Look at their number rods, those may work for you. If not you could make your own, they are larger but I imagine the material would be easy to purchase (and cheaper). I'm sure you use metric but they would be 1"X1" lumber (what ever that ends up being there). Here is a fantastic example of a homemade set, she used oak but if it's just for one child you could use whatever is the most inexpensive, she could even help you paint the sections. I think you could make them a little smaller and just do smaller sections.

http://mymontessorimoments.com/2011/12/27/handmade-montessori-number-rods/

THe only Montessori school in the country that I know of is in Ankara (long ways away) and I know they have huge issues with getting materials.

But thanks, both of you. I will explore a little and see what I find lumber/dowel wise.

Do you have any plans to place an order from a homeschool company that ships there? That sounds like something you'd want to bundle into a larger order.

Unfortunately, USPS shipping rates have skyrocketed in recent years. It really is ridiculously expensive to ship anything out of the country, and sometimes even within the country. So your best bet is to order a larger amount of items at one time to cut down on the shipping cost per item.

Do you have any plans to place an order from a homeschool company that ships there? That sounds like something you'd want to bundle into a larger order.

Unfortunately, USPS shipping rates have skyrocketed in recent years. It really is ridiculously expensive to ship anything out of the country, and sometimes even within the country. So your best bet is to order a larger amount of items at one time to cut down on the shipping cost per item.

And double unfortunately, going bigger doesn't help when shipping here. If I stay below 1kg it's doable, barely, but over that it gets frighteningly expensive fast. Something about this region. It's not the US, not the EU, not Asia.

I've decided to wait for now and get them when I'm in the US this summer. I'll make do with foam or paper or something until then.

And double unfortunately, going bigger doesn't help when shipping here. If I stay below 1kg it's doable, barely, but over that it gets frighteningly expensive fast. Something about this region. It's not the US, not the EU, not Asia.

I feel your pain. When we lived there I would dream about all the things that I couldn't have shipped to me or couldn't afford to buy there. As soon as we moved back to the US, I got an Amazon Prime membership and reveled in 2 day shipping. :001_smile: On the other hand, I spent a good part of yesterday dreaming of another vacation in Fethiye...

I am going to ask a couple of my friends who are still there if they know of any possibilities. If I find something I will get back to you.

Hey, Do you have a local carpenter (furniture) shop? I know a teacher in Egypt had something similar made by hand after pictures and explaining the dimensions/colors....shop owner ended up making some for their kids and thought it was a hoot!

MUCH cheaper (at least in Egypt) than $50...

Just an idea...

• 3 weeks later...

Gave up and ordered the set from England. Fudging it is only confusing my poor already befuddled DD!

Unfortunately you deal with things like that when your living outside the US. All the stuff I want is SO cheap there, practically impossible to get here or 3 times the price, but I still save to purchase from US, 'cause with postage to Aus, its twice the price of whatever it is.

e.g. People in America can get a Pro-Click for like $20-25. I have to find a company that is UK (because of needing A4 paper) which the UK version is the GBC Clickman, I've had that on my wishlist for a year, it would of cost me (and US is a little more dollars than my current Aus dollar), $150AU including post. So it got put down the list. I just checked it the other day and it was $80AU incl post (to me an absolutely steal) so I grabbed it.

Nebel's Elementary Education is a book I have wanted for a while. Americans are able to buy it for $19.99, with postage it cost me about $50.

I just suck it up, and choose whats worth that price to me, so am selective of the things I want (but of course, still make billions of mistakes due to the fact I can't go into a store or to a US convention and see whatever it is I am interested in, and things are always different when in hand).

DH also said something to me about one of the books I was interested in may not make it across the border since it involved "weapons" (for knowledge's sake, its a science book. But its about making mini "weapons of mass destruction" following different history periods and learning science through it, stuff like potato cannonballs, harmless projectiles etc).

I can't get science kits of any description (except for some really expensive Ein'O's) in Aus, nor can I order any in, since one item within any kit will breach the import laws (certain chemicals, dirt, seeds etc).

I can't get anything made of wood, because I prefer naturally oiled, natural wood, and if it came through, its more than likely they'll stop it, and give me the option of binning it or paying $60 to put chemicals on it.

Moral of the Ramble: Buying stuff for HS is an annoying pain when overseas.

Preach it sister!!

Funny you should mention the ProClick. I think I'm going to go with Rollabind for our books exactly because of the A4 paper issue. When I'm in the US I'm going to LOOK at the punch to be sure it can accommodate A4 paper and then drag it back here with the discs. I emailed Rollabind and they assure me it will work, but I have to see it first. I could order from the UK, but it is so much more expensive!! Until then it's binder clips and staples for us.

I'm just grateful we go to the US periodically so that I can look at things and bring them back.

Preach it sister!!

Funny you should mention the ProClick. I think I'm going to go with Rollabind for our books exactly because of the A4 paper issue. When I'm in the US I'm going to LOOK at the punch to be sure it can accommodate A4 paper and then drag it back here with the discs. I emailed Rollabind and they assure me it will work, but I have to see it first. I could order from the UK, but it is so much more expensive!! Until then it's binder clips and staples for us.

I'm just grateful we go to the US periodically so that I can look at things and bring them back.

I have the Levenger Circa punch - which does the Rollabind and Staples Arc stuff. I would be happy to get off my behind and go look at the adjustments for you and figure out what size an A4 piece of paper is and even take a picture!!! :D

I have the Levenger Circa punch - which does the Rollabind and Staples Arc stuff. I would be happy to get off my behind and go look at the adjustments for you and figure out what size an A4 piece of paper is and even take a picture!!! :D

OK, so my Circa punch doesn't "LOCK" in at a setting for A4, BUT, there is a setting that it "stops" at. Using my amazing mass of knowledge from working at kinkos, I know to find the center of the paper, and then center it on the center punch. So i cut the paper (tore, I mean, find scissors????? :p ) and pulled the adjustment out all the way. Centered the paper, then pushed the lever to the edge. That was when I found out it "stopped" at a point for A4 (it was 1-2 mm off, close enough for my perfection in binding standard! LOL!!).

I punched the same paper on the letter setting so you could see how it was from the edge of the paper. It probably would not bother me to use it on the setting - I might throw a piece of duct tape or something on the bar so it wouldn't move if bumped.

The dot you see in the center of the punch is where if I was punching letter it would say, "Letter" (and they don't say paper size in numbers, they use the Circa junior and all that jazz).

06E2E36D-3E2B-4BD8-AABF-747596E2FA19-10287-00000CEB5E1803BE.jpg

A1C91769-4E92-430B-BBBE-F62827897ACB-10287-00000CEB661A8DCE.jpg

I use workbooks, board games, and counting on fingers for word problems with my kids. It doesn't make sense for me to buy Cuisinair Rods, Montessori golden beads, or educators base 10 blocks. I did see the education unboxed and the Math-u-see demo. I saw these paper grid 100's, 10's, & 1's inside a math workbook. I have too much time on my hands, or something, because I hand drew a stack of 1s, 10s, & 100s for my son to work on place value. Then I made colored #s 1-10 for my daughter. I glued one stairstep onto cardboard and put duct tape on the back of all the loose pieces.

But, again, I'm not thinking the rods will have a huge place in our math plans so they're just a little extra something. My son likes making circles and lines and tallys on the whiteboard and really my kids don't need manipulatives. It's like using scratch paper and drawing little squares for hundreds, lines for tens, and dots for ones. It's easier because you can always find a pen and paper. But if you have some time on your hands you can make the paper manipulatives with a ruler and a pen and put duct tape on the back.

One other cheap manipulative is a bag of colored straws ($1) and some duct tape and a hot glue gun. (srry, don't have a picture. donated them, haven't made more yet.) Bundle 10 straws and run duct tape around one end, hot glue the straws on that end. Tape Ten bundles togeather for a 100 bundle. I put the tape for the hundred bundle a little higher so you could still see the tape making the individual ten bundles inside it. Got the idea from the Singapore math book where they drew bundles of straws. I was told it's not a new idea and that teachers have used coffee stir sticks the same way.

OK, so my Circa punch doesn't "LOCK" in at a setting for A4, BUT, there is a setting that it "stops" at. Using my amazing mass of knowledge from working at kinkos, I know to find the center of the paper, and then center it on the center punch. So i cut the paper (tore, I mean, find scissors????? :p ) and pulled the adjustment out all the way. Centered the paper, then pushed the lever to the edge. That was when I found out it "stopped" at a point for A4 (it was 1-2 mm off, close enough for my perfection in binding standard! LOL!!).

I punched the same paper on the letter setting so you could see how it was from the edge of the paper. It probably would not bother me to use it on the setting - I might throw a piece of duct tape or something on the bar so it wouldn't move if bumped.

The dot you see in the center of the punch is where if I was punching letter it would say, "Letter" (and they don't say paper size in numbers, they use the Circa junior and all that jazz).

Thank you!! You are wonderful!!