Menu

I'm so jealous

Night Elf

I feel like this a little each day, but it's at a high today. I really, REALLY, miss my kids being young and having fun homeschool materials to share with them. I got the Sonlight catalog a couple of days ago. I made the mistake of looking at the K-8 curriculum board. I need a sighing emoticon.

I have one graduated, one in homeschool high school, and one in public high school. Our days of fun, interesting schoolwork are over. I'm not doing too well with my son's high school classes. They are just over my head and he's having to work more independently now. I mean, that's good for him, but it makes me feel sad.

So try not to stress about educating your young children. They are probably learning tons more than you worry about. They'll be in high school faster than you think. :)

That's all.

:grouphug:

I'm with you guys completely as dd is deciding on colleges :crying:

I will say, though, that our "fun and interesting" schoolwork lasted straight through the end of her junior year, so at least I have that to cling to in these last moments ;)

I hear ya, Sister. For the first time ever, my response to one of those "would you homeschool somebody else's kids" questions wasn't, "I would rather eat bees" but more along the lines of, "Well, it might be kind of fun to make sculpey volcanoes again..." I snapped out of it quickly enough, but it was sobering.

I know what you mean. I am at the tail end of these years now. It makes me so sad. I truly believe that I will always remember those years when my girls were little as the best in my life. It is kind of sad when you realize that the best years of your life are behind you.

Tell you what. Come on over to my house and do things with my preschooler. I'm so busy with the older two that he missing out on the fun stuff.

This is what I hope to do for my daughter-in-law:) She has a 5, 4 in May and 2yo. New baby due within the next two weeks. When my guys are old enough to do more independent work, I plan to do pre-school with the grandkids. I'm so happy that I have this to look forward to;)

Tell you what. Come on over to my house and do things with my preschooler. I'm so busy with the older two that he missing out on the fun stuff.

I would in a heartbeat! My passion is for ages under age 5. I didn't finish my degree, but I was studying Montessori from ages birth to 5. I loved those classes. Little people are so interesting and amazing! I didn't have the same experience as you. My youngest two are 20 months apart but they pretty much homeschooled at the same time. I pulled my son out of Kindergarten and his sister was almost 4. She did some cutesy workbooks until her actual birthday when she demanded I teach her to read. I remember feeling stressed during those really early years. It's not easy being in the midst of it. Hindsight makes it so much more different. :)

Our youngest is thirteen, 7th grade, so I hear you! We also have an 11th grade dd but all the others are out of high school. I loved the early years. I loved teaching them to read.

I have to say, though, that I love having interesting conversations with them now. And they are still funny, especially the 13yo boy!

My youngest is 9, but I am spending so much more time running the older two around and working with them that I don't have time for a curriculum like SL to do just with one kid. He is missing out and not getting what the older two got.

Dawn

I totally hear you. I'm not homeschooling anymore (and continue to pout inwardly, but it is what it is), but I will say that the one perk of high school is that ds and I could watch some great movies together, and had a few good convos about his reading--not much, because he wasn't really a discuss-er, but it was something.

I have a sweet friend who borrowed some materials this year--she did video Abeka for kindy, which is possibly the most boring, hideous way to homeschool, in my not-so-humble opinion. She told me Weds how very much they are loving SOTW and all the activities, and it made me both super-happy for her, and nostalgic for that time.