Menu

Cord Blood Banking

mommyx4

Has anyone here done it? Pros and Cons? Is it worth the $$ to save it? I did see there was some Phase 2 clinical trials of it helping kids with things like cerebral palsy among other things(this was using donors own cord blood).

We are trying to decide if we want to privately bank it or donate it. I have to decide quickly as I'm 34 weeks on Monday.

I don't consider banking a good use of resources. The chances of your family needing it and being able to use it are very slim. However, donating it would help someone who really is in need. But, the first priority should be the baby herself (or hisself) at the time of birth. The baby should get what she needs and if there is any leftover, that can be donated. Read up on late cord clamping for futher research.

I don't consider banking a good use of resources. The chances of your family needing it and being able to use it are very slim. However, donating it would help someone who really is in need. But, the first priority should be the baby herself (or hisself) at the time of birth. The baby should get what she needs and if there is any leftover, that can be donated. Read up on late cord clamping for futher research.

Yes!! This is very important! The blood belongs to the newborn and he/she needs it at birth. It really shouldn't be called late cord clamping as it sounds like not the norm or a bonus. It is physiologically what the baby is expecting and NEEDS and clamping early/immediate like is done most often in the hospital setting right now is denying the baby a significant amount of its own blood( and therefore stem cells)

I have a child born prematurely who has cerebral palsy. She is the type of child cord blood could have benefited, although I don't think that they knew what to do with it when she was born. If I were to have another high risk pregnancy I would plan on cord blood banking if I was near a hospital that could do it. I wouldn't and did not bank cord blood for a full term child.

• 1 month later...
Guest Carry Luxem

Hello everyone, my daughter is in the process of choosing a private storage facility to bank her child's cord blood, and I looking for some recommendations (or the opposite) for facilities. We have one recommendation already, but I'm hoping to get some more first or second hand info. Thank you for any help you might have to offer! Carry

Well we banked for 2. One boy and one girl. Hopefully it will be the biggest waste of money we ever made but I feel like piece of mind is priceless. For me it is about the advances they are making and what is on the horizon. We offered it to a friend who had lymphoma if he was a match.

Guest Carry Luxem

Hey everyone, this is an interesting, thought-provoking site. The cost of banking can definitely weigh on one's decision (it was for my daughter and her husband). However, when we found a reputable private facility - Genecord - that was considerably less expensive than most, my daughter and her husband went for it, and are very happy they did. So, if anyone is on the fence, it might be worth checking out Genecord. Best wishes to you all! -----Carry-----

• 7 months later...
Guest abehnam

I know this is a hot topic and people feel differently about it. My husband and I decided to do this and felt that it was worth the effort for our baby boy. The biggest question we had was what company to go with. After MUCH research, we went with CBR.

So far, here is why we like them:

1. They spent about an hour on the phone with us explaining how the process works and what we should expect. Unlike with other companies, we did not feel pressured into a sales pitch.
  2. they showed up at the hospital on time almost to the minute after the we/hospital called them to pick up the blood.
  3. they continued to communicate with us to tell us what is going on until the blood was stored
  4. on our baby's first birthday, they sent him a gift. he's only 1.5 so I have no idea what they do for future birthdays, but his first was a complete surprise to us.
  5. also, we felt that thier storage facilities were safer and better protected against natural disaster than some of the other companies.

These are all things that make us feel that we made a good choice.

If you choose to bank your baby's blood, we highly recommend CBR. Here is another reason:

If you use our referral link below , you'll receive a free year of storage - a value of up to $260 and so will we. Please use our link below.

copy and paste this link: http://www.cordblood.com/landing/referral?contactid=1-12FZ6JN

I truly believe in our decision to do this and hope that our child never needs to use it. But if he does, he'll have that one extra option to help save his life.

Anna