Menu

Any recipes for brussel sprouts?

My ds brought some home from his Junior Master Gardner class, and I have no idea what to do with them! They are cute little things, but I'm not even sure if I've ever tasted them.

So, how do you prepare Brussels sprout??

(See I don't even know how to spell it! I was able to edit it here, but not in my title.)

Brussel sprouts are so delicious ~ the smaller, the better. You may already know this, but you should remove the toughest few outer leaves and cut a small "x" in the root end of each sprout. After that, I either saute them as Jenny described or steam them and then toss with a touch of butter, salt, & pepper. Adding some chopped pecans or sliced almonds is nice, too. Don't make the common mistake of overcooking brussel sprouts, at which point they'll be mushy. Keep them fairly firm. Enjoy!

Trim off any longish stem parts from the brussels sprouts & then cut an X into the base of each. Cover with salted water & bring to a boil, then immediately turn down to a simmer & cover the pan. Cook til tender but don't overcook (probably in the range of 5-7 minutes). Drain & put them in a casserole dish. Coat with 2 T. of melted butter. Now mix together 4 T. bread crumbs, 4 T. parmesan, then 1/4 t. each of seasoning salt, black pepper, and garlic powder (you can change up the seasonings if you like). Sprinkle over the b. sprouts & then heat the whole thing under the broiler for 4-6 minutes. Yummo! :D

I cut the brownish stem off and then slice them in half. Boil them in salted water until just barely fork tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Saute sliced garlic cloves (I use a lot... like 4 cloves) until beginning to brown and then throw in the sprouts. I think I usually cook them for 6-8 minutes. Brussel Sprouts are my kids' favorite vegetable. I kid you not. They (and we) LOVE them this way. And none of us had ever tasted them until about three years ago when we saw this recipe in a Martha Stewart or Real Simple (can't remember which) Magazine. SO Good. Pepper (and salt) to taste. You do not ever want to overcook these or they will become bitter.

The BEST Brussel Sprout recipe ever:

TRASH CAN

Can ya tell I think they are nasty.. ewww yuck and icky... :)

Seriously Toni; I wouldn't come within forty miles of a brussel sprout. I would have rather starved than put one past my lips. Honestly.

But then about three years ago, my mom made them for Thanksgiving dinner. She only made a few because she thought she and one other family member would be the only ones who would eat them. They were so yummy, my poor mom only got about four sprouts to herself!

Trim ends and tough outer leaves, cut them in half, toss with olive oil, a bit of melted butter, salt and pepper and roast under high heat for about 10 minutes, mixing them up to make sure they're coated and caramelizing evenly. Seriously......give them another chance. They don't taste like you expect the to (or remember them from childhood!) at all! NO "cabbage taste;" they taste kind of nutty.

Really.....the mere thought of eating one used to make me gag. But you've gotta try this.

Seriously Toni; I wouldn't come within forty miles of a brussel sprout. I would have rather starved than put one past my lips. Honestly.

But then about three years ago' date=' my mom made them for Thanksgiving dinner. She only made a few because she thought she and one other family member would be the only ones who would eat them. They were so yummy, my poor mom only got about four sprouts to herself!

Trim ends and tough outer leaves, cut them in half, toss with olive oil, a bit of melted butter, salt and pepper and roast under high heat for about 10 minutes, mixing them up to make sure they're coated and caramelizing evenly. Seriously......give them another chance. They don't taste like you expect the to (or remember them from childhood!) at all! NO "cabbage taste;" they taste kind of nutty.

Really.....the mere thought of eating one used to make me gag. But you've gotta try this.[/quote']

You do realize you are trying to convince someone who absolutely refuses to eat ANY vegetable at all except for string beans (canned, thankyouverymuch), corn, raw carrots and NOTHING else..

I HATE, loathe and despise veggies.

BUT--there is hope for me yet--my boss made homemade sweetpotato bread the other night and I loathe those too, but I tried it and it was sooooooooo goooood...

So yeah, I'm hopeless. :)

LOVE them. Ds7 loves them as well. Vegetables are so important for good health. I am always thrilled when ds likes yet another veggie. My best friend can't get her ds to touch anything healthy and she really really worries about his health.

Anyway, I just steamed the brussel sprouts and maybe toss a little butter on them. I can eat them with just a bit of salt though. To me they just stand alone.

I bet I would like the roasted ones too though. I intend to try that recipe.

I slice them in half, add slivered baby carrots and sliced red onion. Then I toss the veggies with olive oil and sea salt, spread them on a cookie sheet, and roast at 400 degrees for about 45 min until all the veggies are lightly carmelized. I use a spatula to toss them around once or twice during cooking. My family loves these!

We also eat Brussels sprouts boiled then tossed with a little butter and some red wine vinegar.

The smaller the sprout the better. The larger ones can become bitter and tough. When you grow them yourself, leave them on the stalks in the garden until after the first frost at least (even the first snow). They will taste better.

We LOVE roasted brussel sprouts at our house. Yummo!

Ditto. I love them cooked any way, but for my guys (who generally are not picky eaters and will eat the patterns off the plates) roasted is *greatly* preferred.

They've got to be fresh, though. The frozen ones, no matter what you do to them, well -- we don't buy frozen ones. ;-)

Brussels Sprouts recipe - scroll down

Just in case you can't get in:

Brussels sprouts

Ingredients

1kg Brussels sprouts, reasonably small without too many loose outer leaves

50g unsalted butter

Method

● It is not necessary to crisscross the base, the sprout may disintegrate. The slow cooking process will reach the middle.

● Pull off any coarse outer leaves and trim the base with a sharp knife, taking care not to cut off too much and lose more leaves. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and add the sprouts. Simmer them for five minutes or so: they should be a vivid green and have a slight crunch in the centre. Unless finishing them immediately, drop them into cold running water until cold. This will fix the colour and arrest the cooking process.

● Melt the butter in a wide but heavy frying pan and add the sprouts, close fitting but in a single layer. On a gentle heat, allow the sprouts to slowly colour a golden brown, turning them frequently so that every facet is coloured. Continue this process until they are a nutty brown all over and the centres are meltingly soft. Season with milled pepper and flakes of sea salt and serve.

Laura

Not a recipe, but my favorite brussels sprouts story: Our pet rat loved most treats of veggies and fruits that we handed them. They would greedily snatch them in their cute little "hands" and run with the treasure into their house to snack away. Once, we gave one of our rats a brussels sprout (mil cooked them). The rat snatched it and ran into their house as usual. A few seconds later, she ran out of their house carrying the brussels sprout and took it to the farthest corner of their cage. She dropped it there and ran back into their house. They never went near the brussels sprout again. That pretty much sums up my own feeling about them.

'Tail' them by trimming the branch end off and removing a couple of outside leaves. Cut a cross on this end and steam them until tender (the timing can vary according to taste, size of sprout and age of sprout). They are extremely good with a little butter and some steamed chestnuts as a side dish.

Or you can slit a deep cross in the bottom and pan fry (if you want them softer, add a little water after they have browned and cover tightly for 3 minutes) them with a bit of salt and pepper and possibly a tiny peice of star anise. Do it on med-high heat and let the outer leaves get dark brown. Yum.

Frozen Bs's YUCK.