Menu

Anyone hula hoop?

Scrub Jay

Well you are the straw that broke the camels back - going to scrounge up the materials and finally make myself one. I did poi (fire spinning) for a long time and then hooping because the next big thing in my community and I never wanted to even give it a try. But it sounds like the perfect thing to get moving at home more.

So I'm curious how the weighted hoop works out. I've read different opinions on them - some saying they're awesome for fitness and others saying they just increase bruising and to pump up fitness by spinning faster/harder/more active/whatever. I told DH what I need to to go ahead and make one and it sounds like he just might have something in the workshop, woot. Love it when the materials I need are on hand somewhere.

I sort of hoop. I love it when I do it. I also have a weighted hoop. You do get bruises when you first start, but then your body gets used to it. If you can find hooping classes nearby, they're good for getting the basics down. There are also DVDs (I like Hoopnotica).

As for hoops, I bought mine from a store in Portland, OR. You can visit if you're local, or he'll ship them to you if you're not. Very good customer service. Canyon Hoops.

Weighted hoops are easier to use actually. So if you've used a junky store-bought one and couldn't hoop worth anything, you need to try a weighed one. It's not you. It's the hoop. :)

I love Hoop Mamas hoops. I've ordered from other places and they don't seem to know how to measure properly.

I got one from here and I love it! They do custom sizes if you're looking for something specific too. I do hoop and it is so much fun. I'm not that good(yet!), but I'm working on it.

Mine is 160 psi and that's perfect for me. I did buy a Hoopnotica DVD, but there's so much free on Youtube that I've used for now.

Like this guy!

Whoa, we had a hoop craze at our house last week -- younger dd is Cat in Seussical, and will be hooping on stage, so everyone here at home was getting into the act.

WE DO NOT HAVE ROOM FOR THAT MANY PEOPLE TO HOOP AT ONCE! PLEASE STOP IT! Sorry, it was pretty crazy for a while, and I'm still sorta stressed at the memory.

Anyway, hmmm, I didn't realize this was something you could find videos for. That looks fun! Plus we have every other exercise equipment known to modern man, so why not start amassing fancy hoops.

Don't overdo it at first -- otherwise you'll wake up tomorrow with lots of bruises!

Yeah, but they kind of make me feel like a warrior. I'll wake up a new bruise on my hand or the back of one knee and suddenly I'll feel like I earned battle scars during a heroic war or something. :D

I sort of hoop. I love it when I do it. I also have a weighted hoop. You do get bruises when you first start, but then your body gets used to it. If you can find hooping classes nearby, they're good for getting the basics down. There are also DVDs (I like Hoopnotica).

As for hoops, I bought mine from a store in Portland, OR. You can visit if you're local, or he'll ship them to you if you're not. Very good customer service. Canyon Hoops.

)

That's where I got mine, via Amazon. :)

I'm still sucking at it. I can only keep it gong briefly. Please tell me it gets easier.

We made three hoops for dd two Christmases ago. They are suppose to be for dd and her friends but I got into it too! It is really fun and a great core body workout. Do watch the first few times or you will be sore in ways you never have been before.

I'm still sucking at it. I can only keep it gong briefly. Please tell me it gets easier.

It gets easier. If it's a particularly heavy weighted one or if it's on the small side, it can be harder to use than something like a Hoopnotica hoop. (A little weight is good and makes it easier to use, but too much weight seems harder to manage at first.)

Which one did you get?

I only have two hoops right now -- a Hoopnotica one and the one that came with the Marisa Tomei Hoopbody set.

It gets easier. If it's a particularly heavy weighted one or if it's on the small side, it can be harder to use than something like a Hoopnotica hoop. (A little weight is good and makes it easier to use, but too much weight seems harder to manage at first.)

Which one did you get?

I only have two hoops right now -- a Hoopnotica one and the one that came with the Marisa Tomei Hoopbody set.

That's good to know. I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/Weighted-Hula-Hoop-Exercise-Fitness/dp/B003MWQYM6/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1362535423&sr=1-6&keywords=weighted+hula+hoop

I'm curious about dance hoops as well but wonder if they're even harder since they're not weighted.

That's good to know. I got this one: http://www.amazon.co...ghted hula hoop

I'm curious about dance hoops as well but wonder if they're even harder since they're not weighted.

That's a nice hoop!!!

My Hoopnotica hoop is 1.5 pounds, so that's about the same as yours. I think 1.5 - 2 pounds is a good weight, especially for beginners. Everyone always tries the kids' hoops at Walmart and wonders why they have such a hard time with them -- it's mainly because they're too lightweight.

It could be that a large hoop would be easier to keep going. I read a neat article of a gal that got started and ended up needing a really large hoop to really make progress at first. But practicing works too, I suppose, I just need encouragement in order to keep going so I make things as easy as possible to start. I'm planning to make my first a bit larger than usual, plus I'm making the girls some too so I'll have other options. But still trying to figure out where to store them and how to not get too obsessed and have hoops taking over my house. :)

I have a large hoop and it rotates slower than a typical size hoop. I had a few e-mails with Hoop Mamas and went slightly bigger then what the rapper above recommends(floor to belly button). I went from barely being able to hoop at all to going continuously for one song in under a week. :). Practice, practice, practice, and the right hoop!

Well practice, practice, practice begins. Made a hoop this morning (42") and haven't yet managed to really get it going, lots of falling on my toes, ouch. But there was one magic moment where it just worked and went and went and then haven't been able to recreate that moment. But seeing as how it's Day 1, that's probably not too bad.

My 4 year old was watching and told me I needed to make her a hoop so she could show me how to do it. Well, fine then. So I made her a smaller hoop and turns out it isn't as easy as she thought. I'm also thinking that she could really use a lighter hoop - I didn't want to buy 100 feet of the small tubing just to make them 2 hoops but starting to think I should. They're just 3 and 4 and it seems a bit hefty right now, but we'll give it time.

So how is it going? I'm finally able to keep it going at my waist but not for any impressive amount of time. My next goal is to move forward or backwards, so far that isn't happening. Also trying to make it work with a side-to-side stance or even just put my right leg forward instead of my left.

I'm also working on doing more tricks too or stuff I see called off-the-body because then at least I have something else to try while I'm working up stamina for moving it around my body. I'm finding some of the isolations to be pretty challenging too but fun to work on, though my arms may disagree. Also ended up with a bruise on my hand today and it just strikes me as so odd because certainly have never had a bruise there. It doesn't even hurt today while it was feeling a little tender last night.

I'm tempted to get the hoopnotica dvds or something that I have more control over. Everything seems to be on youtube but I often find that some tutorials are either too long or just don't explain it well for me to get it - but I do like many of the hoopnotica clips I've seen. And also expertvillage seems to have several too.

This thread inspired me to go out and get myself a hula hoop- mine is from Canyon Hoops- 2lbs. My sides hurt right now, but I am having fun, and my dc keep using it (I am feeling a bit possessive over it though). I don't have unlimited wifi- so I would love some tried DVD recommendations.