Menu

If you are the owner of a rental

LibraryLover

We have have never been landlords, but we have rented homes. They all allowed pets. Some had restrictions like number of pets or no large dogs, but they all allowed pets of some kind. We actually paid a $100 deposit (non-refundable) and $50 extra per month for one house. We had a decently trained older cocker spaniel who wasn't allowed upstairs and the downstairs was all tile.

We've been able to find rentals, but it is very hard. We have 2 HUGE labs and a cat. Add to that the number of people we have, and rentals become very hard to find.

We have paid a non-refundable deposit before, and now we pay $50 a month extra for the pets. I wouldn't pay it except these dogs have been around as long as 4 of our dc, and they would be devastated to have to give them up. When we got the dogs and car, we owned a home.

I am trying to convince my dh that when the dogs die we shouldn't get more until we buy a house (they are almost 11 years old, which is old for a big dog.)

We own several rentals, and at first we never allowed pets. Then we found that some people lived like animals. :ohmy: Now we take it on a case-by-case basis. We allow pets in some of our rentals, making it clear that if there is carpet in the house they are likely to lose their damage deposit to go toward major carpet cleaning when they leave. This doesn't mean that we expect the pets will be urinating on the carpet (no amount of cleaning is going to take care of that!), but the cleaning is to remove pet dander from the carpet in case the next tenant has allergies.

We rent an apartment above our house. Only once did we allow a dog to live there and it was only because they were our friends and needed a place for about 2 months.

Otherwise no - we do not allow it for a couple of reasons:

1. damage - before we bought the house the guy upstairs had a dog that destroyed the carpet and an interior door

2. we have 2 labs and do not want extra animals on the property

Personally, we had always been renters prior to buying this house and always had a lab. We never had a problem finding a place and never had to pay extra.

Yes, but dogs only. They must be licensed to our town, and the tenant has to read the town ordinances about dogs and sign that they've read the ordinance. We charge an additional pet cleaning fee, which is the cost of professionally cleaning the carpeting (not the whole house, so not a huge amount) on top of the rent. It's a seasonal rental, so, we have it done as soon as they vacate at the end of the season.

Our property manager said that 50% of their applicants have pets, so it helps if you really want to rent your house.

However, we had four applicants within 24 hours, so we decided against pets. We'll continue to take it on a case by case basis.

Also, our PM said he has way more problems with small dogs (accidents) than big dogs, so he doesn't recommend a specific weight limit. Our HOA doesn't allow more than two pets, total, and pit bulls and Rottweilers are illegal in our city, so it makes it easy...

Yes, we have. Our house has a nice fenced backyard but the fence is relatively low. I have allowed a small pet with an additional deposit. I love my pets and know that many people feel the same. I would not allow an aggressive dog because the house is on the route that the elementary school children take to school and a large aggressive dog could come over the fence and a child could stick a hand through a fence. I would be open to working with someone who had an established pet.

When we had a rental, we allowed a max of 2 small dogs only. No cats, as I'm wildly allergic to them and at one time we thought we might be going back to that post, and live in the house again. We ended up selling though. As the owner of a dog (Pekingese), it's often hard to find places that allow pets, so we decided it would be bad of us not to allow them in our rental.

We allow pets. But, our family business is a vet hospital, and our rental is on the property, and we only rent to staff. And, really, noone works at a vet hospital who doesn't have pets, lol.

We do require the pets to be uptodate on vet care, and limit numbers, etc.

If we weren't employing staff who we know all have pets, I doubt we'd be enthusiastic about having renters with pets, just b/c they are destructive. We'd probably allow it, but would likely require a hefty ($1000ish) pet deposit, with at least $300 nonrefundable for thorough and professional carpet cleaning. As it is, we don't require any extra rent or deposit, because we are softies and we like our staff. ;)

We're probably more laid back about pets because we tend to keep renters for years and years. We have one family who have been in the house up on the hill for 20 years now. Our rental by the ski hill has had the same folks for five years I think? (waving to that hs mom). The house in town has had more turnover with college profs, but the family before this one was there for over five years. If I was moving college kids in and out, we'd be no pets.

Off topic, but you have my dream tenants. 20 years. Oh how we would love that.

To the op... We have 5 rentals and we allow 2 pets. I charge a non-refundable fee of $250 for the first and $100 for the second.

Incidentally, the two times I have had damage from a pet it was NOT a large dog. One was a guinea pig that was allowed to poop on the carpet ant the other was a ferret that ate the carpet.

would you ever consider pets? From research, I am guessing no, but is there anything at all a potential renter can do (beyond offering a large security deposit) to get you as a landlord to consider pets?

I have allowed 3 pets in 14 years.

Each was an 8 year old pet the family had had since it was weaned.

I would never accept a new pet, a puppy, or a replacement pet if one died. It's just not worth the extra cost and liability.

So, for me anyway, the only thing you can do is be a responsible family who has had a dog long term, with no other complaints. No cats, ever...I'm allergic. One guy brought one in without my permission because "Grandma needed me to" (like he has the authority to make his problem my problem) and I couldn't breathe easily for a long time after entering the house again.

Our property manager said that 50% of their applicants have pets, so it helps if you really want to rent your house.

However, we had four applicants within 24 hours, so we decided against pets. We'll continue to take it on a case by case basis.

Also, our PM said he has way more problems with small dogs (accidents) than big dogs, so he doesn't recommend a specific weight limit. Our HOA doesn't allow more than two pets, total, and pit bulls and Rottweilers are illegal in our city, so it makes it easy...

Big dog, big bladder! They seem to be able to hold it better.

I am now a renter and the first question I had to ask was about pets...severe allergies as the issue. "Have there ever been pets in you home?" I would say that at LEAST 60-70% DID allow pets. Good for you, but not for me. :0)

Right. That's why I haven't allowed a pet in many years. It's just not worth it.