Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week nine

Robin M

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All life stopped yesterday (well except for helping james with English) while I immersed myself in Brother Odd by Dean Koontz. Either the sign of a good book or I just read it too fast because I feel like reading it all over again. Wasn't ready for it to end.

The most difficult for me were: Don Quixote, Gulliver's Travels, and The Trial. Books I would recommend: Jane Eyre, The Scarlet Letter, Anna Karenina, Mrs. Dalloway.

I remember feeling quite stressed-out the entire time I read The Trial. I guess that makes a very valid point about the book overall, but yikes, what a tense time when reading! I tried Gulliver's Travels a few years ago but got tired of the political stuff about 2/3 of the way through & never finished. I still need to read Anna Karenina someday. (Did you see the movie? I didn't, but the sets look so lovely. Wish I had seen it on the big screen.)

1.) I should finish my North America books ASAP (get started tonight).

2.) I have one or two weeks before the Hopscotch read-along starts, so I should try to get my last two essays written for Coursera before then.

Okay. I'm on it. Well, as soon as the kids have finished their school work for the day - I'm on it.

I would like to read 1Q84 with you guys, too.

ETA: :willy_nilly:

:lol: I feel stressed reading your list too. Why the need to go ahead & finish your North American reading now??? I'd save it/them for later (esp. if you're finishing your Coursera class, along w/ planning to read Hopscotch & 1Q84 -- both hefty books, imo -- and, along with, you know, LIFE & all those type of things that interrupt reading time. ;) ). I'm not reading my continental challenge books in any particular continental order... just whatever, whenever.

Glad to see you want to jump in on Hopscotch & 1Q84 too. I always enjoy reading your comments about books.

I'm searching for a new audio book now. Whatever shall I start?

A separate thread mentioned that David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas was a great audio book. I loved reading that book last year.

A very nice blog post by Jo Walton What’s Reading For?. The comments are worth reading, too.

Neat article. I'm at the point in my life where I agree with her -- my reading these days is for pleasure almost all of the time. (I guess that's why I have no qualms about quitting a book I don't like....)

A very nice blog post by Jo Walton What’s Reading For?. The comments are worth reading, too.

Regards,

Kareni

Great article! Agree wholeheartedly with her about reading for fun, for the pleasure of it. I like her statement

So in summation: I read because it is usually the most fun I can possibly have, I choose the things I read by how much I want to read them, and I read as if I will live forever. This is pretty much pure win from my point of view.

I enjoy exploring more now and it's probably why I take classes and do challenges and what's behind this challenge. There are books I'd thought about but probably wouldn't read otherwise. The challenges force me (well not force but encourage strongly in a fun way) to read outside my comfort zone.

I would definitely jump in on reading 1Q84 with you guys! Murakami is my all-time favorite author. I just haven't had the guts to tackle this one yet. ;)

I just finished One and Only: The Freedom of Having an Only Child, and the Joy of Being One by Lauren Sandler. Loved this one, found it very encouraging. I'll be posting a review as soon as I gather my thoughts.

Now I'm reading a self-published book, Travels with George: A Memoir Through the Italy of My Childhood by Olga Vannucci. It could have used a tad more editing, but the content is good. I'm enjoying how it feels like I'm traveling along with them.

Books read in 2013

19. One and Only: The Freedom of Having an Only Child, and the Joy of Being One by Lauren Sandler

18. Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding in Plain Sight by M.E. Thomas

17. Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

16. At Least You're in Tuscany: A Somewhat Disastrous Quest for the Sweet Life by Jennifer Criswell

15. If It's Not One Thing, It's Your Mother by Julia Sweeney

14. Notes from a Coma by Mike McCormack

13. French Twist: An American Mom's Experiment in Parisian Parenting by Catherine Crawford

12. Il grande albero by Susanna Tamaro

11. Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin

10. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

9. Bliss by Kathryn Littlewood

8. Perelandra by C.S. Lewis

7. Still Alice by Lisa Genova

6. What My Mother Gave Me by Elizabeth Benedict

5. The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

4. S is for Space by Ray Bradbury

3. The Aeneid for Boys and Girls by Alfred J. Church

2. Imperfect Harmony: Singing Through Life's Sharps and Flats by Stacy Horn

1. Free Range Learning: How Homeschooling Changes Everything by Laura Grace Weldon

Run away! ;) (Is there a nice coffee shop nearby where you can make your escape?)

I'll try but there is so much to be done, we've had an issue with DD (I'm worried about her hearing or processing), and EVERYONE keeps calling me!

I think I'll take myself and a good book to lunch tomorrow.

I'll try but there is so much to be done, we've had an issue with DD (I'm worried about her hearing or processing), and EVERYONE keeps calling me!

I think I'll take myself and a good book to lunch tomorrow.

:grouphug: Sounds like a challenging time lately.

Treating yourself to lunch & a good book sounds like a great idea. Enjoy!

Honestly? The house is a disaster,my teenager has been cooking supper for the past few weeks, and my husband feels ignored.

My husband is 8,000 km away, my daughter goes to private school, and dinner is made. So what is my problem?!?!

Sorry, venting. I'll be better tomorrow.

This week I've finished Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson. It was good for quite a few laughs, but about halfway through his books I tend to realize that he's not really saying anything and I'm ready for it to be over now thankyouverymuch.

Next up is Anne of Green Gables.

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen

2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston

4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess

5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney

8. The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation)

9. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

10. The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings

11. Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson

I remember feeling quite stressed-out the entire time I read The Trial. I guess that makes a very valid point about the book overall, but yikes, what a tense time when reading! I tried Gulliver's Travels a few years ago but got tired of the political stuff about 2/3 of the way through & never finished. I still need to read Anna Karenina someday. (Did you see the movie? I didn't, but the sets look so lovely. Wish I had seen it on the big screen.)

The Trial: I couldn't stand how complacent he was about his trial. It seemed so impossible. I also hated the scenery. Dark and dirty.

I watched the Masterpiece Classic of Anna Karenina from 2001 (on Amazon) but I have not seen the new one. It is in my Netflix queue. I just hated the way she was with her children. It repulsed me from enjoying anything else about her.

This week I've finished Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson. It was good for quite a few laughs, but about halfway through his books I tend to realize that he's not really saying anything and I'm ready for it to be over now thankyouverymuch.

Next up is Anne of Green Gables.

I feel the same way about Bill Bryson. I feel like his books would be a full star rating higher by me if they were 30% shorter.

Is this your first time reading Anne of Green Gables?

I feel the same way about Bill Bryson. I feel like his books would be a full star rating higher by me if they were 30% shorter.

Which is sad because they're not that long to begin with. I find that I can tolerate his books better and even find them funnier on audio.

Is this your first time reading Anne of Green Gables?

No, this is a reread for me.

Well, I finally finished book 3, The Dragon Reborn! That took the longest even though it was the shortest book so far (though still another chunkster). I really loved and sped through the last 200 pages so I don't know if I was just too distracted reading the first part of the book or what. I haven't done any decluttering this week, but I did finish the book. I just stink at multi-tasking :tongue_smilie: If I remember correctly, book 4 is one of my favorites. I'm really looking forward to reading it and anticipate that next week will be a good reading week for me. It's weird being so far behind on the count. I'm never current, but never this far either.

I am still enjoying finding clues that lead to the other books while I'm reading. Many which I've missed before, probably because I'm on the lookout now. Jordan really is a master storyteller, with some of these hints and clues leading to books far down the line. I am enjoying it, though I have to admit that I'm impatient to get to the last one to see how it ends!

I am also reading on my Kindle app Great Expectations. I'm trying to like Dickens. I started A Tale of Two Cities twice and could never get into it. I liked A Christmas Carol just fine. Anyway, I'm only reading it when I'm somewhere I won't lug my big Jordan book around so I'm only at 17% but I will eventually finish it.

And I started an audio book while decluttering last week. The Hobbit. We'll see if that goes anywhere, I'm not good at listening.

3. The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan (544 pages) 3.5 stars

2. The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan (599 pages) 4.5 stars

1. The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (702 pages) 4 stars

Negin's Ratings:

5 Stars - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars - Really Good

3 Stars - Enjoyable

2 Stars - Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star - Rubbish – waste of my money and time

Week one: The Father's Tale, Michael O'Brien

Week two: 30 Days to Social Media by Gail Z Martin (professional development)

Week three: Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese

Week four: The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman

Week five: Collaboration Handbook, by Winer & Ray (reading it for professional develpment ).

Week six: Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts

Week seven: the Forgotten Garden, Kate Morton

Week eight: Is there Anybody out there? By Mez McConnell

Week nine: Abraham Lincoln, James M. McPherson

By the way, Is there Anybody out there? was an excellent read. It was an encouraging book showing how God is always at work around us sometimes in the most unexpected places and ways.

This week I read Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan. It's non-fiction about a woman who ends up with a specific type of encephalitis and descends into madness because of it. Doctors think that she's bi-polar or schizophrenic until one doctor finally realizes what's wrong and treats her for it. Amazing story. Sad, but wow. I read it pretty much all in one sitting because I couldn't put it down.

I finished two books by M. L. Buchman:

I Own the Dawn: The Night Stalkers

Wait Until Dark: The Night Stalkers

These are romantic military suspense written by a male author. I'd previously enjoyed the first book in the Night Stalkers series, and I flew through these with pleasure.

Regards,

Kareni

Those do look good. Adding to my wishlist.

Finished J.D. Robb's Calculated in Death. Excellent as always except I wish they were longer. Always end too soon.

Picked up Dean Koontz Odd Hours #4 in Odd Thomas Series and Isabel Allende's The House of the Spirits today. Plus received advance copies of There was an Old Woman by Hallie Ephron and a supernatural suspense novel N0S4A2 by Joe Hill for review.

Today I finished Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. Excellent reread. Next up, I think, is Tales of an African Vet.

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen

2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston

4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess

5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

7. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney

8. The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation)

9. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

10. The Year of Learning Dangerously: Adventures in Homeschooling by Quinn Cummings

11. Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson

12. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

Three more books finished over the last two weeks or so:

#10 Treasures of the Snow by Patricia St. John - A wonderful read-aloud with my kids.

#11 The Consequences of Ideas by R. C. Sproul - My favorite theologian's overview of the history of philosophy.

#12 Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand - This will be on my top ten for the year, for sure. I had put off reading it because I knew it would be pretty intense, and I ended up getting the audiobook even though we already owned the hardcover, as I thought it would help me get through the difficult parts. Amazing story, highly recommended.

I just went and looked at my library catalog for 1Q84 and they appear to have two different versions both hardcover. One has 200+ pages the other 600+ pages. Admittedly I think I might prefer the 200 but which one are we reading?

I am also reading on my Kindle app Great Expectations. I'm trying to like Dickens.

I'm about halfway through this right now. Some chapters are slow going, then I'll get to a part that reads much more quickly and is enjoyable. I'll think, "Ok, here we go," but then it slows down all over again. This is my first Dickens book so I don't know if that's his style or if it's because I can't relate to all the nuances he's trying to convey. I haven't decided whether or not I like him yet.

My high schooler is reading it too and I'm enjoying the conversations we're having about different characters.

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on it when you finish.

I just went and looked at my library catalog for 1Q84 and they appear to have two different versions both hardcover. One has 200+ pages the other 600+ pages. Admittedly I think I might prefer the 200 but which one are we reading?

Is one large print?

Is one large print?

If that is it I am so embarrassed but it doesn't say that obviously. I am still in US and trying to get some books requested for when we return to the UK. I have a much harder time navigating that system. They don't give access to things like where you are in the queue(librarian only) or the discriptions I get here. I did think they told large print and cd. The books looked identical just very different page counts! I was thinking along the lines of abridged .... I feel so embarrassed.

If that is it I am so embarrassed but it doesn't say that obviously. I am still in US and trying to get some books requested for when we return to the UK. I have a much harder time navigating that system. They don't give access to things like where you are in the queue(librarian only) or the discriptions I get here. I did think they told large print and cd. The books looked identical just very different page counts! I was thinking along the lines of abridged .... I feel so embarrassed.

I just looked at my library's website. It looks like you did right. The book looks to be published in sections and as a complete book. There's a book 1&2 and a book 3. It's possible you have the first two books at 600 pages. You may actually need to request both books to get the whole story!

My library has the complete book at 900+ pages. Books 1&2 at 600+ pages, and book 3 at 400+ pages. The discrepancies could be editions as the smaller books are in Spanish, the complete book in English.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! :) I feel better now. I think I am going to call on Monday and ask the librarian to help figure out which. There are actually two of each version all separate copies. One advantage of a tiny village is I know her well! Also she can check the queue since we return in just over 2 weeks.

Due to a technical glitch Barnes and Noble is making the Nook's Free Friday book available through Sunday. it is a paranormal story by Vicki Pettersson called The Taken. I've read it and it's quite good.

In this dark and intriguing adventure, former P.I. and current flawed-angel Griffin Shaw is on earth to collect the soul of the soon-to-be deceased journalist Kit Craig. But when Griffin sees the lovely Kit, he has a change of heart and vows to protect her from her predestined death.

Now that he’s defied his heavenly orders, Griffin isn’t quite sure of his next move. Besides taking on protecting Kit from harm, Griffin decides to do a little terrestrial sleuthing—looking into the facts surrounding his own murder and plotting revenge for his wife’s death.

As the angel and the intrepid journalist team up, a bond starts to form that may put both of them in even more danger still.

Thank you! :) I feel better now. I think I am going to call on Monday and ask the librarian to help figure out which. There are actually two of each version all separate copies. One advantage of a tiny village is I know her well! Also she can check the queue since we return in just over 2 weeks.

I have the hardcover version from when it first came out. My copy has all three "books" in one. All three together = 925 pages.

The subdivision w/in the one large book is as follows:

Book 1 (April - June), pages 1 - 309

Book 2 (July - September), pages 311-591

Book 3 (October - December), pages 593-925

I have the hardcover version from when it first came out. My copy has all three "books" in one. All three together = 925 pages.

The subdivision w/in the one large book is as follows:

Book 1 (April - June), pages 1 - 309

Book 2 (July - September), pages 311-591

Book 3 (October - December), pages 593-925

Thank you!:)

I loved Brideshead - read by Jeremy Irons. I'm actually listening to a book about the writing of it now. I'm also reading Seven Years in Tibet and Evelina.

So far this year:

1: Mr Briggs' Hat

2: Busman's Honeymoon (re-read) - Dorothy Sayers

3: Notwithstanding (re-read for book group) - Louis de Bernieres

4: Bad Pharma - Ben Goldacre

5: The Pages - Murray Bail

6: Great Tales From English History.

7: Unnatural Causes - PD James (re-read)

8: Behind the Scenes at the Museum - Kate Atkinson (re-read)

9: Jack Maggs - Peter Carey

10:Why - Everyday Answers to Scientific Questions - Joel Levy

11: Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh