Menu

What to do about neighbors 7 yo inappropriate behavior

Bree

My kids love to play with our neighbor next door...he is 7, but today my dd ran into the house after he tried to get her to expose herself. My 8 year old son was out there at the time too. This is the 2nd time this has happened. The first time was about 6 months ago. They haven't played in about a month due to us being busy. What would you do? Of course talk to the parents but should I let them continue playing together...it can be hard to always keep an eye on them since I have 4 kids and one potty training...thanks for the advice.

If you personally cannot constantly supervise, then they do not play. At 7 he should be past simple curiosity about body parts, so trying to get your daughter twice to expose herself is highly suspicious.

In all honesty I would probably not allow my children around him at all.

Kids whose parents do not allow them to see them naked or have not seen opposite sex siblings naked are often still curious at 7. He may have heard girls don't have penises but not actually believe. Sure some sexual deviants must start early but is that the most likely solution?

I would agree that supervision at all times is a must. I do not agree that the friendship must end over this. It is not really unusual, but that doesn't mean your dd should be subjected to it. Just keep a close eye and the 7yo will not have a chance to bother her that way.

Kids whose parents do not allow them to see them naked or have not seen opposite sex siblings naked are often still curious at 7. He may have heard girls don't have penises but not actually believe. Sure some sexual deviants must start early but is that the most likely solution?

I tend to agree with you, but it's still inappropriate. It's important to reiterate to one's own kids not to get involved with that and to come to you immediately, and not allow them to go off anywhere far away, so that you are right at hand in case they need you. But it happening more than once becomes irritating and inappropriate, and if he's not going to stop, the parents do need to be involved. The girl doesn't have the responsibility to settle anatomical issues for this boy.

My daughter had a neighbor boy who kept trying to look at her underwear. She told me months later. She ran away and my son chased the boy, and he seems to have grown out of it. They are from an apparently religious home and the boy has only sisters.

Without more information to the contrary, I agree. I was very curious as I was an only child of a single mom. I remember asking my friend's little brother to see his when I was probably 8. It wasn't anything sexual or indicative of abuse. My friend told her mom, I was told that we don't do that, end of story.

Without more information to the contrary, I agree. I was very curious as I was an only child of a single mom. I remember asking my friend's little brother to see his when I was probably 8. It wasn't anything sexual or indicative of abuse. My friend told her mom, I was told that we don't do that, end of story.

Ditto.

I really don't think it's that uncommon.

I tend to agree with you, but it's still inappropriate. It's important to reiterate to one's own kids not to get involved with that and to come to you immediately, and not allow them to go off anywhere far away, so that you are right at hand in case they need you. But it happening more than once becomes irritating and inappropriate, and if he's not going to stop, the parents do need to be involved. The girl doesn't have the responsibility to settle anatomical issues for this boy.

My daughter had a neighbor boy who kept trying to look at her underwear. She told me months later. She ran away and my son chased the boy, and he seems to have grown out of it. They are from an apparently religious home and the boy has only sisters.

What exactly does being from a "religious home" have to do with anything?

My dd said he told her he looks at his girlfriends and I know the home isn't the greatest so we have him come here...the mom was arrested for assaulting the grandma. So I am thinking he is more than maybe just a little curious.

I think you should talk to the parents, and hopefully they will talk to him about the inappropriateness of his request. I don't think it is unusual for him to still be curious about that stuff at age 7. Maybe his parents have no idea what he's doing, and they can get him a library book or something to satisfy his curiosity. My 8 year old just asked me a question about how girls can urinate with no p3nis, so I don't think the curiosity goes away that quickly.

ETA: Well, it sounds like there may be more to the story, but I'd still talk to the parents. And maybe inform him yourself that if he asks to see anybody's private parts, he's going to have to go home.

My dd said he told her he looks at his girlfriends and I know the home isn't the greatest so we have him come here...the mom was arrested for assaulting the grandma. So I am thinking he is more than maybe just a little curious.

Ah, we'll then there is way more to the story and, honestly, I probably wouldn't have allowed them to play alone unsupervised just based on the above.

ITA. I would not jump to conclusions about him or his family's life. I would inform his parents so they have a chance to discuss appropriate personal boundaries with him, and help him address his curiosity. They may have no idea that he is curious and making these requests. I would also recommend discussing appropriate boundaries and responses with your own children, and ways to keep their own safety in mind - stay together when playing, and don't go into any concealed areas with anyone, how to say no and get away, and to always, always tell you about events like this and never keep secrets about them. Also your children can tell him that if he asks this again, they can't play with him anymore. This will probably prevent any future incidents.