Menu

s/o New Household policy...Cup deposit

fairfarmhand

I made the kids give me a cup deposit each morning. They get the quarter back in the evening if they have used the same cup all day. This as a result of 6 people (including 2 parents who use the same cup all day) using 35 cups in a single day!

It worked. Suddenly people are motivated to rinse and reuse the same cup!

35 cups?!! Holy mackeral! :)

insane! I know! I here I am washing all the extra dishes by hand because I am milking so much that I CANNOT go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink (having yesterday's dishes staring at me first thing in the AM makes me want to cry) And my goofy kids can't take 30 seconds to look for their cup on the counter rather than simply grab one from the cabinet!!! Yesterday, people were labeling their glasses...I didn't care what they did. They had to keep the same cup or they would pay me for washing the extras.

Yeah, we went through this. Now each family member has their own colored silly band that goes around their glass, and that is what they use each day. Works great!

We used to have matching glasses but years of little helpers took their toll on our supply. Since we needed more and I didn't want want my kids drinking out of plastic, we went to goodwill and each kid has their own pattern/color of drinking cups. Each kid has 2-4 cups depending on how many they had and how many we have lost but each kid got their set for less than $2.00 a kid. Since every person's cups are different everyone only needs 1 a day because there is no confusion over whose cup is whose (and since we only drink water there really isn't any need to rinse cups).

I had a friend who got so fed up with her kids that she locked away all of her real dishes, bought each kid a set of their own cheap dishes (FULL sets, cups, plate, everything) and makes them all keep them in their room They have to bring their clean dishes to the table each meal and stand in line at the sink to wash and dry their set when the meal is over. I think it's hilarious.

Well, it begs asking so I'll do the dirty deed. Why aren't your older kids doing the washing up in the evenings while you tend to the milking?

Otherwise, I'm glad you found a system that works.

My oldest does do the dishwasher work. However, I don't yet trust her to do my handwashing. She is 15, but with certain things she can be rather....flaky. Stuff like setting my cast iron to SOAK in the soapy water, or flushing my pulsator attachment (a tiny part of the milker that has to be carefully cleaned) down the disposal would be par for the course for this kid. I might however, make other people responsible for the other, less specialized miscellaneous hand washing...such as extra cups. :)

Well, it begs asking so I'll do the dirty deed. Why aren't your older kids doing the washing up in the evenings while you tend to the milking?

Otherwise, I'm glad you found a system that works.

I can answer that...... because the same children who can't remember that they have already used 3 cups today, and that at least one of them is probably 6 inches from their hand, can't remember that they have a cup, much less remember to wash it!

OP- what are my kids doing at your house? My kids each have a cup with their name on it, written in permanent marker! Do they use them... do they remember where they put them? NO! I love the quarter idea- I think I'll make it a dollar though. Otherwise it won't be motivating enough, and they will just steal quarters from my change jar anyway. :D

We had cup issues so we got 4 cups in different colors from Target. Melody's is green, Wil's is orange, Adric's is blue, and Rory's is red. They always use those cups and only those cups. Best idea my mother ever had.

Great idea for sure. We also had our color of bath towels and wash cloths as well.