Menu

My mom just told me she was diagnosed...

babs

With Parkinson's disease yesterday. My dh and I moved several states away about 20 years ago. I have watched her decline in the past 2 years (I was not surprised by her news...I saw the symptoms)... But to have her so far. What can I do to make her feel loved, but not pitied, from this distance? She is a great gift giver, and I am not. I have trouble seeing what others might want...and she has everything anyway! The things I love (books) she does not love...but I love her and want her to know she is loved at this time.

My mom has Parky (as she calls it) I would send her video's and ask her to send videos and pics with letters. My mom has had it since 2004 and her memory is already been effected by it Call as many times as you can visit as much as you can that means more to her than the physical thing you can give her at this point. My mom memories come and go. As many times as you can go to her and just be there as much as you can.

Get her final wishes in writing while she can do that it.

So many good ideas!

My father was diagnosed with it at 55, and had it for 23 years. He worked for 10 years after his diagnosis, and was clear mentally up until the last few months of his life. The key for him I believe was good health habits and medication. It is a tough thing, but some remain active for many years.

I know just a little bit about Parkinson's, but since you asked what you could do, I think there are several things that you can do to demonstrate how much you love her. I highly recommend that you ask her about her financial situation. I say this because you and any other siblings need a "heads up" should additional financial support be needed.

Evaluate her insurance coverage and make any needed adjustments as soon as they can be made. For example, owning a home can affect your ability to qualify for Medicaid (this depends on the state). Unless she is wealthy, at some point she will need Medicaid assistance if she needs to be in a nursing home. It may be in her best interests to form a trust and have her house deed transferred to the trust. Transferring to one (or all) of her children is another option. There are a lot of legal ways to protect her assets and they are worth exploring, you may need to sell the house to provide additional care for her. A trust could do that (usually, but check with an attorney for regs. in your state), as could children who owned the house. There are various "waiting periods" for asset transfer not to affect eligibility, so again, this is something she wants to look into sooner rather than later.

Find out if she has a living will/advance directive. If she does not, talk to her about this. She would probably rather make some decisions now than wait until she can no longer make her wishes known. It will make things clearer for you & your siblings as far as what type of care she wants as she becomes infirm. What is required in the state she lives in as far as a Medical Power of Attorney? This is something else you might want to look into. The person named in that document will be responsible from a legal perspective, for making any care decisions, should she not be able to make them herself. Everyone in the family needs to know who this person is, as well.

If you can, have a conversation with her about where she wants to live as she becomes more infirm. It is nearly impossible to get a nursing home bed in a state where the patient doesn't reside. Most patients get better nursing home care if family visits often, so you want to have her close to a family member if at all possible. If she doesn't live anywhere near any of her children, she may want to consider moving closer while she can still get around, make new friends, etc..

If she thinks she might want to go into an assisted living facility, look into these sooner rather than later. They have health requirements and if she does not meet them, she will not be able to move into one. There is a "point of no return" as far as assisted living is concerned.

These are probably not things you expected to read, but to me, being concerned about their ongoing quality of life is a great way to show that you love someone. Financial decisions can be really stressful & the earlier they are handled, the better off she will be.

I wish her well!

I'm sorry. :grouphug: My mom has PD, too. I kinda knew before she was diagnosed, but it didn't make it easier to know for certain.

I can't advise you on the gift thing because I am in the same boat. Gifts are not my love language. The only thing I can do that I know my mom appreciates is talk/call/visit her and include her in things in my life.

I had a very dear and sweet aunt that died this week after suffering from Parkinson's for years and years. I'm so sorry! I think gifts that will help stay close and in touch are good - whether it be calling cards or an iPad, etc. Whatever you think she'll use to keep in touch.

I'm sorry. :grouphug: My mom has PD, too. I kinda knew before she was diagnosed, but it didn't make it easier to know for certain.

I can't advise you on the gift thing because I am in the same boat. Gifts are not my love language. The only thing I can do that I know my mom appreciates is talk/call/visit her and include her in things in my life.

So, how do you include her? My mom hates to travel, so I know that she will be more reluctant now. I need to figure out a way to send video messages that are user friendly as neither of my parents are into any tech! We tried to set up Skype with my parents but if we are not in the room with them it falls apart.

I had a very dear and sweet aunt that died this week after suffering from Parkinson's for years and years. I'm so sorry! I think gifts that will help stay close and in touch are good - whether it be calling cards or an iPad, etc. Whatever you think she'll use to keep in touch.

An iPad may just be a bit of tech that my mom could master...thanks for sharing.

Quotin TechWife: "These are probably not things you expected to read, but to me, being concerned about their ongoing quality of life is a great way to show that you love someone. Financial decisions can be really stressful & the earlier they are handled, the better off she will be. "

(I messed up the quote above from TechWife! )

Great suggestions...I am hoping to fly out to see her in the next month. I can discuss with my dad while there. They are financially solid, but this may add a big wrinkle.