Menu

American Girl Doll store in Chicago

snowbeltmom

My daughter is a huge American Doll Girl fan. She has many of the dolls and has read all of the books. We don't have any American Girl Doll stores in our state. My husband is taking my dd to a tennis tournament next weekend that is an hour away from the American Girl Doll store in Chicago. He is thinking of surprising her and taking her to the store before they head back home at the conclusion of the tournament.

For those of you who have gone to the store, would it be a worthwhile thing to do?

Yes, and if her birthday is anywhere near that time, I'd get the bday package. It was so much fun and she gets to try it all. We had lunch but wish we had tea. My daughter would have wanted to do their tea event. Also, check ahead of time to see if there are any events going on the day they are going.

We took our girls there when they were younger, and they loved it. The highlight was the lunch, not the store. That is, that's what we chose to make the highlight. They can bring their doll, and the doll sits at the table too. There's a show you can go to as well, such as a little historical musical (at least that's what it was when we went). We really didn't spend much money at the store, maybe one accessory each (like shoes, the hair curler, set, etc.). It's really fun to look at all the outfits, etc., but it can be a little overwhelming too. We told our girls ahead of time we weren't going there to spend a lot of money on doll clothes. If you eat there, definitely make a reservation ahead of time. It fills up.

We went in '08 and my girls LOVED it. First it was because my oldest who was 8 at the time was WAY into AG. Make reservastions, it's expensive for little amount of food. Make reservations. We went during the week and it was full of preschooler parties. Really the one day we go. For four (2 adults and 2 girls) it was like $100 to eat and then another $200 on items for the girls dolls.

We are going again real soon and my younger daughter now 8 is already planning her trip. She got an AG for her Christmas and wants to shop for her, go eat there and take her Bitty Baby to the 'doctor' to be fixed. That baby has been loved for the past 5 years. Daddy said we'd get her fixed up. My oldest now 13 kinda rolled her eyes about making her go with but I know she will find something to buy for her AG dolls. She dosen't play with them anymore but she has stands and has them on display and plans to pass them on to her daughters one day.

We just went this morning! My daughter liked it. I never buy stuff like that for her, but I had planned to spend $50, and, after a book and an outfit - both of which were total surprises for her! - she was very happy, and I was $46 poorer. ;)

I liked being able to see everything up close. We had reservations for brunch, but we were feeling off and I canceled the reservations. I'm glad I did - she ate half a muffin from the bakery. Brunch would have been a total waste.

Then we went to the Thorne Rooms at the Art Institute, and she was over-the-moon excited. They were absolutely stunning.

Be prepared: if you plan to park in Watertower Plaza's parking garage, expect to pay about $20 to do so. There is street parking, but it's COLD in Chicago, so I personally didn't want to try to find street parking and walk. Frankly, I found the dry, safe, covered parking worth the $$, but when we went in February two years ago, it was snowing.

Have fun! Two stories of AG heaven! My dd had a blast and she was 13 when we went!