Menu

If you were going to pick a classic novel for your DH to read, what would you choose?

I know that that is a broad question with many possible answers.

I very rarely read anything that was not written in the 18th or 19th century.

Dh never reads anything that isn't along the lines of Stephen King, Dean Koontz or Brian Lumley.

Dh has said that if I read a book by Brian Lumley, then he will read a book of my choosing.

So what to pick?

I want to pick something that is not too long, or heavy reading. Or is not to concerned with who is going to marry whom.

I thought something along the lines of Woman in White or The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.

What would you pick?

I would go with Robinson Crusoe or Huckleberry Finn.

I read both of those this year and enjoyed them even over (ducking now for those thrown tomatoes) Jane Austen.

They are both more masculine in tone and adventure, but still resonate with you after reading.

I used the Aladdin versions of both. The print was well-spaced and sized, so it seemed easier to read.

I know that that is a broad question with many possible answers.

I very rarely read anything that was not written in the 18th or 19th century.

Dh never reads anything that isn't along the lines of Stephen King, Dean Koontz or Brian Lumley.

Dh has said that if I read a book by Brian Lumley, then he will read a book of my choosing.

So what to pick?

I want to pick something that is not too long, or heavy reading. Or is not to concerned with who is going to marry whom.

I thought something along the lines of Woman in White or The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.

What would you pick?

What is your definition of classic?

Holly

My husband was an English major and has read at least as much classic lit as I have, and probably with deeper understanding.

But for your husband? Well, first of all, I think you have to choose something that you personally have really enjoyed. Isn't that the point? For each person to read something that isn't want they normally read, but that has been a favorite of his spouse? So I think you need to generate a list of your all time favorite classic (loosely defined) novels and go from there.

I would be tempted to give him Tolstoy. Anna Karenina might be my choice. Yes, I know it's named for a woman, and there is a bit of "who marries whom" but it's so much greater than that.

On the otherhand, I might want something shorter and more modern, and that you are sure he would like. How about Catch 22? Animal Farm? Lord of the Flies? The Great Gatsby?

Is the Call of the Wild a classic? I did say "loosely defined."

He wants to read something that I would normally read.

My normal readings are British, Russian and French from the 18th and 19th century.

I don't normally read what you normally read!:D

Well, I was going to suggest Fahrenheit 451 or Alas Babylon. They do not really fall within your specs.

Have fun picking!

Holly

I first pick would be The Great Gatsby. If it has to be pre-20th century and non-American I think I'd go with something by Thomas Hardy, though he's a bit dramatic. I wouldn't go Russian yet--too long and thick in so many ways.

What about something by Dickens? He's so entertaining. Or George Eliot?

Or what about Wuthering Heights? I think I'd go with that one.

On the otherhand, I might want something shorter and more modern, and that you are sure he would like. How about Catch 22? Animal Farm? Lord of the Flies? The Great Gatsby?

Is the Call of the Wild a classic? I did say "loosely defined."

These are great suggestions. My dh (a nonfiction reader, primarily) loved loved LOVED Animal Farm. It opened a lot of doors for me to slide in some other books....

Guest Virginia Dawn
Metamorphsis (Kafka), MAN = COCKROACH. The only classic I could get my hubby to read.

I was going to suggest this. One day in the Life of ID, and the count of Monte Christo would also be good, but they are longer.

Do Not give him Anna Karenina, not if you want him to read a classic again someday. ;-)

What about Sherlock Holmes, or some Poe?

Its not old, but I think it is a Russian classic: Gulag Archipelago.

While I was riveted by this book, it is not a novel, and is three long volumes. It has one of my favourite quotes:

A serial killer might kill 20 people, but an ideology can kill millions.

I think I liked this book better because I'd already read some of his novels and therefore "cared" about him. The photos before and after the camps are very telling.