Menu

Sick (??) dog? Please help!

k2bdeutmeyer

Our 7.5yr old Cavachon (1/2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, 1/2 Bichon) was acting what appeared to us as "fine" all day yesterday. Last night at about 7:00pm he starting whimpering/whining and walking around a little....very slowly. Made me think he had a tummy ache (no limping, bleeding, or licking that would indicate an injury). We thought maybe he was going to throw up, so I sent him outside. He spent about 15 minutes out there and when he came back in the house, went up the steps VERY slowly, not jumping like he normally does. He spent the rest of the evening moving very slowly, head hung low, tail between his legs, etc. To my knowledge, he never threw up or had diarrhea or anything. He also didn't get into anything that I'm aware of.

This morning, he wouldn't come out of the bedroom (he sleeps with my 2 DDs). He usually follows older DD everywhere she goes. DD12 ended up carrying him out to the couch where he has stayed ever since. He usually asks to go outside almost immediately in the morning and doesn't seem even remotely interested despite our prodding and prompting. He will barely even lift his head.

He has no pre-existing conditions, is in generally good health, and hasn't really ever had any problems. I really, REALLY cannot afford a vet trip right now. We will pull from our bill $$ to take him in if we need to (the thought of that makes my skin crawl, but....) - anyway, opinions?? Can we wait it out through today and see how he does? Any ideas on what could be ailing him? What we can do to help him? I think I'd feel better if he was displaying some sort of symptom or something that I could at least identify.

This is our baby:

8455072489_2c6f1286c3_z.jpg

Unfortunately, I think you probably need a vet visit and I'd try to get him in today, since it's Friday. His behavior sounds very much like when our dog hurt his back, playing with our other dog most likely, but we really don't know for sure. Our vet visit wasn't terribly expensive. He received pain meds and a muscle relaxer and was back to himself within 24 hours.

I'm sorry! I hate unexpected vet bills :(

Okay....um....really weird.

While I was waiting for responses, I went over and sat by him. It was getting close to time to run DD12 to school for choir and I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride (usually makes him go crazy). His tail started going crazy, and he kind of acted like he wanted to get up, but like his legs wouldn't cooperate or something. it was strange. I probed DD a little......asking if he had stood up at all today. She verified that he had not.

I ended up pulling him up toward me to see if he'd stand and he did. He immediately started acting more normal.....nudging my hand with his nose for more petting, tail wagging with excitement to go for a ride. I had DD ask him to go out before we left and he bounded to the door to go out and came up the steps like normal. He's been acting relatively normal/fine since?!?

What in the world?

Okay....um....really weird.

While I was waiting for responses, I went over and sat by him. It was getting close to time to run DD12 to school for choir and I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride (usually makes him go crazy). His tail started going crazy, and he kind of acted like he wanted to get up, but like his legs wouldn't cooperate or something. it was strange. I probed DD a little......asking if he had stood up at all today. She verified that he had not.

I ended up pulling him up toward me to see if he'd stand and he did. He immediately started acting more normal.....nudging my hand with his nose for more petting, tail wagging with excitement to go for a ride. I had DD ask him to go out before we left and he bounded to the door to go out and came up the steps like normal. He's been acting relatively normal/fine since?!?

What in the world?

This also sounds like my dog's back problem. He would seem better and 30 minutes later he would yip, start "bowing" his back, and shaking.

Now this makes me think of one of our cats, about 8 years old, who seemed in a lot of pain - turned out she has arthritis and had managed to dislocate her hip !!!!! . We had to crate her to keep her from running around (or trying to) for two months, and slip her pain pills and meds.

Sounds like he might have injured his back and for that he should really have a vet visit as well as cage rest, leash walks only and very quiet time.

Even if he is acting like he feels fine.

I would still try to recommend a vet visit because if it is a back problem you could increase the potential for more serious problems.

The other thought would be an obstruction or possibly bladder stones/problems.

Again a vet visit would be a good idea.

I wish I had seen this earlier. This sounds exactly like a dog of mine whom, after two days of acting this way, we brought into the vet only to find that his urinary tract was plugged. He couldn't urinate. They said if we had waited another day he would have died. It's very, very serious. They inserted a catheter into him, bypassing the blockage, and there was a shower that went all the way across the clinic room. (Sorry, I'm not sure of a polite way to say that.) Poor, poor thing, he had been so extremely uncomfortable. I'm so very glad we brought him in.

Have you noticed if your dog has urinated since he has begun acting this way?

He is a very light eater anyway (he grazes and doesn't eat but a dishful of food every 2 days or so), but seems to be eating and drinking some I can't really say how much compared to normal. He has been out several times (some because he asked to) and I have seen him urinate for sure (leg lifted and all). DH said he saw him squat to poop last night (when I sent him out cuz I thought he was going to throw up), but I don't know if he went.

He still isn't 100% himself, but he gets up to greet us now (tail wagging and all) & is jumping on and off the couch, etc. DH kind of thought it might be his right hip (based in the way he thought he was walking outside), but I haven't noticed anything weird with his walking?!?

At this point, I don't think you'd notice anything weird if you didn't know him.

I'm glad he seems to be doing better, but I think a visit to the vet is still in order.

I also think you should be going outside with him to see if he's really "doing his business" or just unsuccessfully trying to go. Also, the vet may want to know if there is anything unusual (like blood or a black stool) and you won't know if you're not out there with him.

Unfortunately, I think you probably need a vet visit and I'd try to get him in today, since it's Friday. His behavior sounds very much like when our dog hurt his back, playing with our other dog most likely, but we really don't know for sure. Our vet visit wasn't terribly expensive. He received pain meds and a muscle relaxer and was back to himself within 24 hours.

I'm sorry! I hate unexpected vet bills :(

Yup, my first thought was back/neck injury. However, it could also be something more serious. You need someone qualified to check his back (they can do it by feel, don't need to do xrays), and feel his belly. Sorry.

He is a very light eater anyway (he grazes and doesn't eat but a dishful of food every 2 days or so), but seems to be eating and drinking some I can't really say how much compared to normal. He has been out several times (some because he asked to) and I have seen him urinate for sure (leg lifted and all). DH said he saw him squat to poop last night (when I sent him out cuz I thought he was going to throw up), but I don't know if he went.

He still isn't 100% himself, but he gets up to greet us now (tail wagging and all) & is jumping on and off the couch, etc. DH kind of thought it might be his right hip (based in the way he thought he was walking outside), but I haven't noticed anything weird with his walking?!?

At this point, I don't think you'd notice anything weird if you didn't know him.

Good! No more couch jumping though! Maybe he just had bad diarrhea?

I'm glad he seems to be doing better. Hopefully it was just a slight injury. Like I said, mine is just a puppy, but something like this has happened to him a few times. The first time was a couple of months ago. He whimpered and whined like he was in serious pain for about an hour. I would have taken him to the vet but they weren't opened yet. By the time the vet was open, he was jumping off the couch and playing. He has had a few more episodes like this, but much less severe. He will whimper and whine for about 20 minutes and then go off playing again. The first time I think he hurt himself getting through the baby gate, but I'm not sure about the other times. He is always doing crazy things like jumping off the back of the couch, so I'm not surprised if he gets hurt sometimes.

Continue to keep an eye on his eating/drinking and "outside business", and I would also gently poke and prod around his belly and his legs/hips to see if there is any discomfort.

Again, I'm glad he is doing better and I hope this turns out to be nothing. I prayed for him last night (I hope that's okay).