Menu

Just received an email from my son that made me cringe

m0mmaBuck

This is an email he sent out to the entire Scout Troop:

Hi troop 208

please reamemer to bring a camp chair and snacks.

see you saterday,

ian

We are the only homeschoolers in the troop. Some day he'll learn to spell...or at least use spell check... before sending out an email that he and are both going to catch flack for... Right?

This is from the 10-year old, yes? No biggie. Lots of 10-year olds can't spell every word yet. But do teach him what the red underlines are all about.

Oh, he knows. He just thought everything looked right. Apparently he liked the added "pop" the red underlines gave his email.

Oh, he knows. He just thought everything looked right. Apparently he liked the added "pop" the red underlines gave his email.

ROFL!

ETA: I am so laughing because I get this mindset. Even when I am wrong, I am still right.

I almost wrote a post about this yesterday. My teens send stuff like this, or try to, I usually stop it before it goes anywhere. It drives me crazy! At least your guy is 10, take comfort in that. I would think my 15yo would be embarrassed to send something to someone with grammar mistakes and spelling errors, but nooooo. She just huffs and puffs when I send her to redo it, because we all know it is not leaving my house like that. LOL

I love that he thinks the red squiggly lines make his email pop! :)

I see beyond the spelling and see initiative, independence, and leadership. Not to mention he sounds excited and sweet. :)

I agree. He was concise and clear, those can take longer to build than spelling. My ds would mess up spelling our last name for a long time. I remember once he wrote it wrong on a library card, although the librarian was staring over him the entire time he wrote it so he was nervous.

Just as an encouragement--we live in a "good" school district and we often get misspelled, wrongly punctuated e-mails from the Scouts who go to ps or Catholic school. It makes me feel better. I think the boys just don't "care" enough to proofread what goes out. Just keep working with him. There are some parents of ps boys who will feel encouraged that your 10 year old spells like theirs.

LMAO

Reminds me of the time we were in line and the lady in front of us found out we homeschooled and asked my 6yo what subjects he learns in school and he said "oh we don't really do school."

:svengo:

Dont you just LOVE when they say things like that!?

I was complaining about my feet and back hurting today. Dh said "Dd, did mommy work hard today?" Dd replies, "No. She sat on her computer all day."

:ohmy: :sneaky2: WHAT!? Were we even in the same house today? *Sigh*

It doesn't have anything to do with homeschooling. I know smart kids and adults who can't spell. Most use spell check but that has its problems too. I think my dh's and some kids' spelling issues made me change my arrogant mind on the subject== I found spelling very easy and used to think that lack of spelling skills showed stupidity and ignorance. I have changed my mind and decided that the English language is extremely hard compared to others and that i need to show charity.