Menu

Possible stolen prescription, what to do?

anotherbrother

DH lost his Class 2 prescription at work. Class two has a higher level of control and to get a refill or replacement you must have a paper prescription. The doctors are very stingy about what dates they will write it on.

He takes this prescription multiple times of day at work. His coworkers do know what it is. There is a new guy in his cubicle and it seems very suspicious that it went missing less than a week after the new guy moved in. He also made a rather strange comment to my husband today about how kids in high school used to abuse prescription drugs.

DH last had it this morning in his car before he walked to the office. The walk is about 10 minutes from car to building. He's retraced his steps and searched his car. It's possible that it's just lost, but also possible that it's stolen.

Question: Should he let his boss know that he's suspicious of his co-worker?

ETA: It's the actual bottle of pills that are missing, not the paper prescription.

No. There is really nothing of any substance in the comment that he made to your husband. The fact that kids abuse prescriptions is nothing new or surprising and sounds like a comment that someone would say just to make conversation.

I'm sorry it's lost. I would be just sick about losing my medication. I hope it's just lost and he finds it soon.

ETA - as much of a pain as it would be, he should probably only carry enough for the day with him. The pharmacy can give him another bottle with the info on it if it needs to be in a container.

No. There is really nothing of any substance in the comment that he made to your husband. The fact that kids abuse prescriptions is nothing new or surprising and sounds like a comment that someone would say just to make conversation.

I'm sorry it's lost. I would be just sick about losing my medication. I hope it's just lost and he finds it soon.

ETA - as much of a pain as it would be, he should probably only carry enough for the day with him. The pharmacy can give him another bottle with the info on it if it needs to be in a container.

I totally agree about not carrying the whole bottle. It's a bad habit that we've talked about in the past.

He's away from his desk quite a lot, which leaves plenty of room for suspicion. It definitely was overly coincidental that the topic was brought up totally out of context.

We're waiting for the doctor to call back right now. Wish the were speedier sometimes.

No. I would not talk to the boss. I would, however, talk to your doctor and tell him what happened. If it is controlled, the person SHOULD not be able to use the prescription without I.D. but I don't know if there is a way to "stop payment" (so to speak) on a prescription like that and issue him a new one.

It was his actually bottle of pills, not the prescription itself. If it were the paper prescription I wouldn't be worried at all.

No, I wouldn't say anything to the boss, only the doctor. And resolve to be much more careful in the future. My 80-something little-old-lady mom had her prescription disappear, and her pain med doc said he only replaces that ONCE, for ANYBODY. That she needed to be more careful and never let it happen again. Doctors are getting super paranoid about those scripts, which is probably a good thing.

My feeling is that if the co-worker took the bottle of meds, he would probably go overboard in making sure not to do or say anything that would cast suspicion on himself, ie mention abuse of drugs. But, there are people who don't fall into the norm of behavior :p

I, personally, would not mention it to the boss because you have no evidence at all. It would be awful to cast doubt on an innocent person. Why does he not keep his meds in his possession at all times?

My feeling is that if the co-worker took the bottle of meds, he would probably go overboard in making sure not to do or say anything that would cast suspicion on himself, ie mention abuse of drugs. But, there are people who don't fall into the norm of behavior :p

I, personally, would not mention it to the boss because you have no evidence at all. It would be awful to cast doubt on an innocent person. Why does he not keep his meds in his possession at all times?

There are definitely plenty of people that don't fall into the norm. It's strange in that it wouldn't ordinarily be a topic of workplace conversation.

If he's not able to get his medication replaced by the doctor he will have to say something to his boss. He can't stay awake without it. (Separate loooong story) We don't want to cast doubt on somebody, but at the same time he now doesn't feel very comfortable around someone that he needs to work closely with.

He doesn't keep his pills with him, because it would be awkward to walk around with a pill bottle in your pocket. They are typically kept in his work bag that he keeps at his desk.

No, I wouldn't say anything to the boss, only the doctor. And resolve to be much more careful in the future. My 80-something little-old-lady mom had her prescription disappear, and her pain med doc said he only replaces that ONCE, for ANYBODY. That she needed to be more careful and never let it happen again. Doctors are getting super paranoid about those scripts, which is probably a good thing.

This isn't pain medication, but it falls under a similar scenario. Sometimes the Doctor is more agreeable about special circumstances than others.

There are definitely plenty of people that don't fall into the norm. It's strange in that it wouldn't ordinarily be a topic of workplace conversation.

If he's not able to get his medication replaced by the doctor he will have to say something to his boss. He can't stay awake without it. (Separate loooong story) We don't want to cast doubt on somebody, but at the same time he now doesn't feel very comfortable around someone that he needs to work closely with.

He doesn't keep his pills with him, because it would be awkward to walk around with a pill bottle in your pocket. They are typically kept in his work bag that he keeps at his desk.

I would suggest that he get a pill box in which he can keep a day's supply of the medication to keep in his pocket. That is done by many, many people. There are even types that can be hung around the neck. He could then keep an empty labeled bottle in his drawer/bag in case anyone wants to identify what he has on his person. If he cannot keep it on his person, he should seek to find a locked cabinet in which to store it. Just an FYI: many pain clinics/physicians are requiring that the patient sign a "patient responsibility agreement" before prescribing controlled substances. These requirements usually have a section which says that the patient is responsible for keeping the medication in a safe/secure place.

What would you say? "I keep Level 2 prescriptions in my bag at work and everyone knows I take them. They are now missing and I think the new guy did it because he's new and he said something to me about how high school students are taking prescriptions recreationally"?

What do you think his boss will do? The most he could do is call the new guy in and tell him that your DH has accused him of theft. If he's innocent, that's a horrible thing to do. If he's guilty, he will deny it and nothing will happen. Either way, there will be hard feelings and tension at work between the two of them.

Please think this over carefully. The comment the new guy made would be perfectly acceptable conversation anywhere in my day. I don't see anything suspicious about it.

I would suggest that he get a pill box in which he can keep a day's supply of the medication to keep in his pocket. That is done by many, many people. There are even types that can be hung around the neck. He could then keep an empty labeled bottle in his drawer/bag in case anyone wants to identify what he has on his person. If he cannot keep it on his person, he should seek to find a locked cabinet in which to store it. Just an FYI: many pain clinics/physicians are requiring that the patient sign a "patient responsibility agreement" before prescribing controlled substances. These requirements usually have a section which says that the patient is responsible for keeping the medication in a safe/secure place.

I agree with everything you said, but that doesn't fix the current situation. I'm sure whatever the reason they went missing he's definitely learned his lesson.

As I said in a previous post these were not pain pills, but they do fall into a class of controlled substances.

I'd probably contact the police department about filing a report, just in case it turns up in some goofy scenario like someone is selling it. You don't want them thinking that dh sold it to someone. Also, if he files a report, and it was the co-worker, that might help dh in the unlikely event that the co-worker is caught stealing from him. You just never know...and it doesn't hurt to call the police and ask about filing a report.

I hope it was just dropped and then went missing- having to work with someone you don't trust is no fun at all.

But in the future, I'd also do like others suggest- keep it on his person while out of the house.

What would you say? "I keep Level 2 prescriptions in my bag at work and everyone knows I take them. They are now missing and I think the new guy did it because he's new and he said something to me about how high school students are taking prescriptions recreationally"?

What do you think his boss will do? The most he could do is call the new guy in and tell him that your DH has accused him of theft. If he's innocent, that's a horrible thing to do. If he's guilty, he will deny it and nothing will happen. Either way, there will be hard feelings and tension at work between the two of them.

Please think this over carefully. The comment the new guy made would be perfectly acceptable conversation anywhere in my day. I don't see anything suspicious about it.

His boss is already aware that he takes this prescription. My husband had a seizure at work about 18 months ago, and it's important that people are aware that there's a potential medical issue. DH is on very good terms with his boss.

I suppose I should have more clearly said that he never intended to tell his boss that he thought that one person stole them. It was more of the mind that he'll probably have to tell his boss, and does he say he lost them or tell him that he thinks there could be suspicious circumstances about their disappearance.

His boss is already aware that he takes this prescription. My husband had a seizure at work about 18 months ago, and it's important that people are aware that there's a potential medical issue. DH is on very good terms with his boss.

I suppose I should have more clearly said that he never intended to tell his boss that he thought that one person stole them. It was more of the mind that he'll probably have to tell his boss, and does he say he lost them or tell him that he thinks there could be suspicious circumstances about their disappearance.

That makes more sense. :)

I'd probably contact the police department about filing a report, just in case it turns up in some goofy scenario like someone is selling it. You don't want them thinking that dh sold it to someone. Also, if he files a report, and it was the co-worker, that might help dh in the unlikely event that the co-worker is caught stealing from him. You just never know...and it doesn't hurt to call the police and ask about filing a report.

I hope it was just dropped and then went missing- having to work with someone you don't trust is no fun at all.

But in the future, I'd also do like others suggest- keep it on his person while out of the house.

This is exactly my thought process. I don't think going as far as the police is necessary, but definitely filing a lost/found report at work.

It's no fun to be suspicious of people you work with.

OK, I can definitely go with that. I would alert the boss that they are missing, that hopefully I just misplaced them, but wanted the boss to know in case they turned up in the wrong hands blah, blah, blah.

I would suggest that he get a pill box in which he can keep a day's supply of the medication to keep in his pocket. That is done by many, many people. There are even types that can be hung around the neck. He could then keep an empty labeled bottle in his drawer/bag in case anyone wants to identify what he has on his person.

Not having the actual bottle could be a MAJOR problem if he were to get pulled over for a traffic violation, and this category of pills were found not in their original bottle.

Not having the actual bottle could be a MAJOR problem if he were to get pulled over for a traffic violation, and this category of pills were found not in their original bottle.

That's a completely different thought. I'm not a police officer or doctor, but I don't think that this prescription would be a problem in terms of a traffic violation. He's more likely to get pulled over if he doesn't take them that if he does.

OK, I can definitely go with that. I would alert the boss that they are missing, that hopefully I just misplaced them, but wanted the boss to know in case they turned up in the wrong hands blah, blah, blah.

This approach would be good.... false accusations in the work environment can be damaging on many levels. Without evidence, I would not make a specific accusation.

That's a completely different thought. I'm not a police officer or doctor, but I don't think that this prescription would be a problem in terms of a traffic violation. He's more likely to get pulled over if he doesn't take them that if he does.

That's not what I meant. I meant if he gets pulled over for something unrelated, and the meds are found on him, not in the bottle. If it's a controlled substance, in some places, just having it loose, not in it's original bottle, is a crime. I don't know if that's federal, or local. I know it is an arrestable offense where I live. Depending on quantity, it can be a misdemeanor or a felony. One of my son's takes a controlled substance, and we were told to always keep it in it's bottle, by the physician, for this reason.

As long as the person has a valid prescription for the medication it shouldn't be a problem. There might be a hassle of course, that's why having a bottle with a valid label nearby is definitely a good idea.

Most states follow this:

It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly or intentionally to possess a controlled substance unless such substance was obtained directly, or pursuant to a valid prescription or order, from a practitioner, while acting in the course of his professional practice, or except as otherwise authorized by this subchapter or subchapter II of this chapter.

Yes, you might get hauled in if you have an unidentified medication, but they will let you go once you can prove that you have a valid prescription for that medication. Many businesses and schools make further rules to deal with the possession of controlled substances on site. And if he were pulled over for a traffic violation, I would not see that a search would ensue to find the medications unless there were other extenuating circumstances.

That's not what I meant. I meant if he gets pulled over for something unrelated, and the meds are found on him, not in the bottle. If it's a controlled substance, in some places, just having it loose, not in it's original bottle, is a crime. I don't know if that's federal, or local. I know it is an arrestable offense where I live. Depending on quantity, it can be a misdemeanor or a felony. One of my son's takes a controlled substance, and we were told to always keep it in it's bottle, by the physician, for this reason.

I'll talk to him about this. I hadn't thought of it that way.

IMHO your DH should mention to his boss that the medicine is lost, and if it turns up, please let him (your DH) know, so he can retrieve it.

Medicines, especially of this class, must always be kept in their ORIGINAL containers.

Putting something like that in a pill box that one can purchase, could lead to big problems.

Different pills/tablets should NEVER be carried in the same container.

A medicine like that, on an international flight to/from the USA should be accompanied by a written prescription.

The severity of this depend upon whether the medicine is regulated by your state law or by the DEA.

I hope the health of your DH improves!

I think I'd do a general announcement / noticeboard notice / internal memo to everyone (including boss) kind of thing... lost X prescription, please return to Bob if you find it. That one everyone knows it was noticed and if there is a problem further down the track it's all in the open.

DH lost his Class 2 prescription at work. Class two has a higher level of control and to get a refill or replacement you must have a paper prescription. The doctors are very stingy about what dates they will write it on.

He takes this prescription multiple times of day at work. His coworkers do know what it is. There is a new guy in his cubicle and it seems very suspicious that it went missing less than a week after the new guy moved in. He also made a rather strange comment to my husband today about how kids in high school used to abuse prescription drugs.

DH last had it this morning in his car before he walked to the office. The walk is about 10 minutes from car to building. He's retraced his steps and searched his car. It's possible that it's just lost, but also possible that it's stolen.

Question: Should he let his boss know that he's suspicious of his co-worker?

ETA: It's the actual bottle of pills that are missing, not the paper prescription.

No, not without any evidence. He should be seeking evidence.

A mention to the boss that they are missing and there is a possibility they are in the building is really all he can do to protect himself.

If he needs them both at home and at work, he can request two bottles from the pharmacy so he is always carrying them properly. They will do it at no charge.

I hope they turn up!

I'm sure he could easily get a copy of the prescription information from the pharmacy to keep in the car. Or he could just keep one of the empty bottles.

Could he ask the pharmacist for a second empty bottle with the info on it to carry his day's supply?

::delurking::

I've been in states like what you are talking about. You might have a major hassle, but it is easily dealt with.

ME, personally, I just keep a paper copy of the label with the loose pills.

Example: I have a small Altiods tin (one of the mini size ones) with 2 of DD11's pills in it with a folded up copy of the script label.

Then you only have on day's worth on you at anytime AND have the label.

Kris

He could always take a few in the prescription bottle and leave the rest at home in a different container. I have worked with so many people who steal that I am jaded, but if he had the same routine for months and all of a sudden they are missing, I lean toward the idea that it must be theft. However, in the industry I work in many people steal something as soon as a new person comes in to blame it on. The idea that a new person somehow knew he was taking the medication is odd, I think it can not be ruled out that it may be someone else who is taking advantage of a new person being there.

If you get pulled over for a traffic violation, and the police ask you if they can search your car (or look inside it), just say no. They need a warrant, and unless you are a really dumb criminal, there won't be any constitutional basis for them to do a warrantless search.

Same thing if the cops come to your door. You don't have to let them in, unless they have a warrant. You don't have to let them "look around" or search your house, unless they have a warrant.

I would say to the boss "Hey I seem to have lost this bottle of pills, if you see it or hear that someone else has could you let me know?" Makes boss aware that they have gone missing without pointing fingers since there is no way to know for sure unless new co-worker was found with them or talking about them. I would try to give benefit of the doubt, particularily in the workplace but still let people know you are looking for it. I would hate to be seen in the workplace to be blinding pointing fingers because it would make him look badly. So instead, just mentioning to the boss that it is vital that these pills be returned if someone finds them may be enough, expecially if boss has noticed anything else go missing, or more than 1 person complains of missing pills down the road.