Menu

Vegetables for breakfast? how do you prepare them?

Joan in GE

Yes to dehydrating strawberries. I have a small, inexpensive dehydrator that I use mostly for berries. I have also dehydrated tomatoes and a few other things.

The papaya chunks were frozen on a cookie sheet and then placed in a bag for storage. Ready to go for smoothies.

My local farmer grows Japanese persimmons (non-astringent). I use the pulp as I would use pumpkin in baking or in pancakes. It was new to me this year. I had several persimmons each week in my CSA box throughout the fall.

I like your 'heart curves' Jane :-)

You've widened possibilities for persimmons for me; we have them here, but apart from being this kind of messy fruit when ripe - I hadn't thought of any other possibility besides 'raw'.

Thanks for the other answers!

Joan

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your 'heart curves' Jane :-)

You've widened possibilities for persimmons for me; we have them here, but apart from being this kind of messy fruit when ripe - I hadn't thought of any other possibility besides 'raw'.

Thanks for the other answers!

Joan

Good morning Joan! I just mentioned a favorite veg based breakfast on the turnip thread!

I thought posting a link to the heart curves was timely. ;)

Technically it's a fruit, but we love avocado on toast for breakfast (or for snacking anytime). Toast a piece of whole grain bread and drizzle very lightly with olive oil. Mash half an avocado with a fork and spread on the toast. Can top if you like, salt and/or pepper, drizzle of honey, pistachios, etc.

I like non-breakfast foods for breakfast. A burrito mid-morning is perfect for me. I use mostly black beans but you could go with veggies instead.

Technically it's a fruit, but we love avocado on toast for breakfast (or for snacking anytime). Toast a piece of whole grain bread and drizzle very lightly with olive oil. Mash half an avocado with a fork and spread on the toast. Can top if you like, salt and/or pepper, drizzle of honey, pistachios, etc.

I like non-breakfast foods for breakfast. A burrito mid-morning is perfect for me. I use mostly black beans but you could go with veggies instead.

That does sound tasty - though honey I would never have thought of, nor pistachios...interesting...

Thank you!

Joan

I eat salad for breakfast pretty often. It took me a couple of times to get over the fact that I thought it was a weird thing to eat, but now I enjoy it. I love eating soup for breakfast in the winter. I'll make a big batch of something like vegetable soup with some chicken or creamy butternut squash soup. I also like smoothies with spinach, kale, or spring mix.

We do green smoothies too. I've always wondered how many servings go into a green smoothie, so I finally brought out some measuring cups to figure it out. 2 servings veg, 1 serving fruit, in a pint glass.

I will pre-roast some veggies and keep those in the fridge. Then I can do scrambles, omelets

and breakfast burritos. Also, hash that is light on the potatoes and heavy on the non-starchy veggies. For weekend breakfast, nothing goes with baked eggs and salmon as well as roasted asparagus. I also love to thrown left over Ethiopian take out with the injera torn up and lots of the greens in with eggs. So good. Quick on the go ideas include veggie pancakes, 1/2 a pepper slathered with hummus.

We do green smoothies too.

I saw you are using spinach in the smoothie - can it be 'old' as in mature spinach or does it have to be baby spinach?

I will pre-roast some veggies and keep those in the fridge. Then I can do scrambles, omelets

and breakfast burritos. Also, hash that is light on the potatoes and heavy on the non-starchy veggies. For weekend breakfast, nothing goes with baked eggs and salmon as well as roasted asparagus. I also love to thrown left over Ethiopian take out with the injera torn up and lots of the greens in with eggs. So good. Quick on the go ideas include veggie pancakes, 1/2 a pepper slathered with hummus.

For hash - you are grating the veggies too?

Mmmm Ethiopian food...good idea to put with eggs...For that matter, Indian food would probably work too....Thanks for the other ideas too.

Joan

I saw you are using spinach in the smoothie - can it be 'old' as in mature spinach or does it have to be baby spinach?

For hash - you are grating the veggies too?

Mmmm Ethiopian food...good idea to put with eggs...For that matter, Indian food would probably work too....Thanks for the other ideas too.

Joan

Old spinach from the garden works fine. I also will buy the giant tubs of organic spinach at Costco for $4 and use that. It's really yummy if you happen to have Granny Smith apples, but usually I'm not that organized.

Great thread!

I recently gave up soy (don't eat eggs), so I've been hungry in the mornings. I miss tofu scrambler and bacon or sausage.

I'm planning to get my egg and veggies fix from vietnamese crepes: http://www.food.com/recipe/banh-xeo-vietnamese-crepes-38348 (but vegan)

We also like Mexican breakfasts served with nopales (cactus). I make a nice sauce with them. They go well with eggs or tofu scrambler, I plan to just eat them along with black beans and potatoes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you! I was eating fruits and veggies but ended up getting sick for the first time in two years! (But I'm going to persevere with my veggies)....

Old spinach from the garden works fine. I also will buy the giant tubs of organic spinach at Costco for $4 and use that. It's really yummy if you happen to have Granny Smith apples, but usually I'm not that organized.

Thanks for your answer - good to know.....I think old spinach cooks a lot better in spinach provencale for example - it had more body....but didn't know if it would be stringy in a smoothie...thanks for the Granny Smith tip :-)

Great thread!

I recently gave up soy (don't eat eggs), so I've been hungry in the mornings. I miss tofu scrambler and bacon or sausage.

I'm planning to get my egg and veggies fix from vietnamese crepes: http://www.food.com/...se-crepes-38348 (but vegan)

We also like Mexican breakfasts served with nopales (cactus). I make a nice sauce with them. They go well with eggs or tofu scrambler, I plan to just eat them along with black beans and potatoes.

Cactus - that's a new one! The crepes look very tasty......So how is your 'no soy, no eggs' going? Are you just doing beans and potatoes still? It doesn't get old? Could I ask why you don't eat soy?

Joan

What veggies do you roast?

Can you walk me through the hash you make? I'm always tempted to try it but chicken out.

What veggies do you roast?

Can you walk me through the hash you make? I'm always tempted to try it but chicken out.

yes, I was wondering too what you meant about hash made of 'non-starchy' veggies... I was going to ask that question weeks ago, then I thought you must mean things like 'celery, mushrooms'...but then when aggieamy asked - I thought about it again and realized it wouldn't really be a 'hash' with celery and non-starchy veggies - at least with my limited exposure.....

So - very curious - Joan

I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you! I was eating fruits and veggies but ended up getting sick for the first time in two years! (But I'm going to persevere with my veggies)....

Thanks for your answer - good to know.....I think old spinach cooks a lot better in spinach provencale for example - it had more body....but didn't know if it would be stringy in a smoothie...thanks for the Granny Smith tip :-)

Cactus - that's a new one! The crepes look very tasty......So how is your 'no soy, no eggs' going? Are you just doing beans and potatoes still? It doesn't get old? Could I ask why you don't eat soy?

Joan

No, it never gets old. I love those two foods. :)

I quit soy because I'm having issues with b00k cysts. The more I read about estrogen, soy, and these type of health issues, the more I figured it was time to cut the bulk of it out. I have another appointment in a month, so I figure I'll talk to the Dr about it then. That way I'm not getting all my info from the internet. :scared:

Last weekend I went and bought a bunch of the crepe mix. Mmmm...

No, it never gets old. I love those two foods. :)

I quit soy because I'm having issues with b00k cysts. The more I read about estrogen, soy, and these type of health issues, the more I figured it was time to cut the bulk of it out. I have another appointment in a month, so I figure I'll talk to the Dr about it then. That way I'm not getting all my info from the internet. :scared:

Last weekend I went and bought a bunch of the crepe mix. Mmmm...

Interesting about the cysts....I had some that were getting larger and now they're almost gone.....but I hadn't been using much soy before or since....I have been off dairy (don't know if that's related or not)....Please tell us if your Dr. has anything important to say about it....

Do you have a favorite black bean and potato recipe? We really like black beans here....though for lunch or dinner...

Joan

I puree lettuces-- half a large head purees down into a small bowl. That's 6-8 servings raw greens right there. I use a food processor, wash the greens first, stick them in the machine and sprinkle with salt in the bowl.

Raw baby carrots, leftover roasted veggies-- raw bell peppers with natural peanut butter are delicious, so are granny smith apples with pb.

I eat a lot of veggies, at least I try to!

You can also roast broccoli with olive oil and puree it-- it's easier to get in a lot of greens if they're pureed.

And raw juice.... greens and carrots are ideal, raw apple juice is divine.

Interesting about the cysts....I had some that were getting larger and now they're almost gone.....but I hadn't been using much soy before or since....I have been off dairy (don't know if that's related or not)....Please tell us if your Dr. has anything important to say about it....

Do you have a favorite black bean and potato recipe? We really like black beans here....though for lunch or dinner...

Joan

With mine, I had to go off dairy, soy, caffeine, and chocolate for a month. It was terrible, but they went away.

I don't think the soy is what's causing them. I ate and drank a lot of soy though, and the estrogen level thing scared me. The thing I gave up that's supposed to be a real factor is caffeine. It's been so hard to deal with the sleepy, dopey feeling since giving it up.

I just cook my black beans with onion, garlic, cumin, and salt. Potatoes are basic too. Pan fried with salt and pepper, maybe some onion, diced peppers, or Lawreys. We like to eat left over black beans for breakfast. Platanos also goes well with black beans in the morning.

You could also do a Gallo Pinto for breakfast. Bell peppers go in it, but I'm sure you could add many other veggies.

I puree lettuces-- half a large head purees down into a small bowl. That's 6-8 servings raw greens right there. I use a food processor, wash the greens first, stick them in the machine and sprinkle with salt in the bowl.

Raw baby carrots, leftover roasted veggies-- raw bell peppers with natural peanut butter are delicious, so are granny smith apples with pb.

I eat a lot of veggies, at least I try to!

You can also roast broccoli with olive oil and puree it-- it's easier to get in a lot of greens if they're pureed.

And raw juice.... greens and carrots are ideal, raw apple juice is divine.

Those sound like good ideas - can't wait to try the roasted broccoli - never thought of doing that...And I just went to market and got a bunch of lettuce to puree....I got romaine - but is there a 'best' lettuce for pureeing? You're making me thirsty for fresh juices :-) I'm writing before lunch - everything is looking good :-)

With mine, I had to go off dairy, soy, caffeine, and chocolate for a month. It was terrible, but they went away.

Hadn't thought of that but I went off coffee too....but my chocolate consumption went up for several weeks ;-)

I don't think the soy is what's causing them. I ate and drank a lot of soy though, and the estrogen level thing scared me. The thing I gave up that's supposed to be a real factor is caffeine. It's been so hard to deal with the sleepy, dopey feeling since giving it up.

I just cook my black beans with onion, garlic, cumin, and salt. Potatoes are basic too. Pan fried with salt and pepper, maybe some onion, diced peppers, or Lawreys. We like to eat left over black beans for breakfast. Platanos also goes well with black beans in the morning.

You could also do a Gallo Pinto for breakfast. Bell peppers go in it, but I'm sure you could add many other veggies.

I can't say that I've been more sleepy since going off coffee - it was the warm drink habit that was hard to break, more than a 'wake up' drink....Are you getting enough exercise to get the blood circulating?

Just learned what "Gallo Pinto" is...thanks for your black bean/potato recipe - but what are "Lawreys"?

Thank you all,

Joan

We do the above ideas and in the winter I like a nice soup for breakfast. I make a veggie soup that I whirl up with a blender so it is " creamy", but I also especially like split pea w/ carrots, potatoes and lean ham. I'm big on what I call " farmer's market eggs" which means I dice most anything I bought into them, sweet potato and carrot muffins or pancakes work well for my kids, smoothies of course and if we've had it I love leftover quiche.

We do the above ideas and in the winter I like a nice soup for breakfast. I make a veggie soup that I whirl up with a blender so it is " creamy", but I also especially like split pea w/ carrots, potatoes and lean ham. I'm big on what I call " farmer's market eggs" which means I dice most anything I bought into them, sweet potato and carrot muffins or pancakes work well for my kids, smoothies of course and if we've had it I love leftover quiche.

Do you have a favorite veg soup recipe (apart from the split pea one) ?

Never heard of sweet potato muffins....searching now....

Thanks,

Joan

We do green smoothies too. I've always wondered how many servings go into a green smoothie, so I finally brought out some measuring cups to figure it out. 2 servings veg, 1 serving fruit, in a pint glass.

Ok - I just made this green smoothie....using strawberries as the berry....

Green smoothie drinkers - can you share your favorite recipes/proportions?

We first had these on a trip to Williamsburg. I have been making them ever since.

Thanks Jane! - they look good. So is this a traditional American food or did it just happen to be found at a historical site?

Joan

Thanks Jane! - they look good. So is this a traditional American food or did it just happen to be found at a historical site?

Joan

Not sure if this is a traditional Southern food but sweet potatoes certainly are! Same with pecans.

The taverns and inns at Williamsburg serve a number of dishes and drinks with either a Southern flair or historical one (syllabub comes to mind). I suspect that muffins in the form we know them are not necessarily traditional. Steamed breads like Boston Brown with its cornmeal, rye, wheat, raisins and molasses do strike me as a more traditional American dish.

Joan,this week I made the carrot tart from the recipe linked earlier. Unfortunately my tarragon jar was empty. I substituted marjoram and thyme which worked.

This was not breakfast though. I served the tart with a red lentil soup. I did not have fresh cilantro so I added some dried coriander to the spice mix.

That sounds like a very colorful meal!

I was looking at tarragon this morning at the vegetable market thinking - wasn't there something I wanted to make with tarragon? But my mind stayed blank so I stuck with the coriander and parsley....Tarragon has such a unique flavor. Kicking myself now....

The red lentil soup looks great!!! I'm always looking for tasty lentil and bean dishes - I didn't know there are Moosewood recipes online! Now why won't it come up on that same site when I search Moosewood?

Thanks Jane!

Joan

The red lentil soup looks great!!! I'm always looking for tasty lentil and bean dishes - I didn't know there are Moosewood recipes online! Now why won't it come up on that same site when I search Moosewood?

Thanks Jane!

Joan

The link I attached is not from Moosewood. You can find some of the older Moosewood recipes on Mollie Katzen's website.

The soup comes from the Moosewood Daily Special cookbook, a collection of soup and salad recipes. My husband was on a business trip to Ithaca, went to the Moosewood restaurant and bought the book for us--very nice gift. This cookbook has lighter fare and some unusual recipes, many incorporating beans, whole grains, seasonal veg.

I too am always on the lookout for ways of incorporating legumes into our diet. What beans do you buy in Switzerland?

P.S. I love tarragon! By the way, red lentils turn yellow when cooked. Apparently the soup is light green if one includes fresh cilantro.

There is no way I'm eating veggies every day for breakfast. I just don't like it. If I get mushrooms, spinach and/or broccoli into my eggs, it's maybe 1-2x per week.

However, getting 5-6 servings of veggies a day is NOT hard! If you have a salad for lunch, you already have 1 serving of greens (2 cups raw) and if you add 1 roma tomato, that's a 2nd serving. Between the carrots and cucumbers I also add, that's just about a *3rd* veggies serving in one meal!

I don't eat salad every day, though. At dinner, I sometimes eat 2 different veggies or take a double or triple serving. We love broccoli and eat at least 1 cup of steamed broccoli per person when we have it.

It's important to know what a serving IS. Here is one fun site and there are many more to show you that you may be getting in more than a serving without even realizing it!

http://oneserving.com/category/oneserving/fruit-and-veg/

The link I attached is not from Moosewood. You can find some of the older Moosewood recipes on Mollie Katzen's website.

The soup comes from the Moosewood Daily Special cookbook, a collection of soup and salad recipes. My husband was on a business trip to Ithaca, went to the Moosewood restaurant and bought the book for us--very nice gift. This cookbook has lighter fare and some unusual recipes, many incorporating beans, whole grains, seasonal veg.

I too am always on the lookout for ways of incorporating legumes into our diet. What beans do you buy in Switzerland?

P.S. I love tarragon! By the way, red lentils turn yellow when cooked. Apparently the soup is light green if one includes fresh cilantro.

I know the link wasn't from Moosewood, but it said a Moosewood recipe. But that doesn't show up in the search....I had been hoping they would have more recipes from Moosewood...

Thanks for the Mollie Katzen link :-) I have two Moosewood cookbooks - one is simple suppers - most of the recipes are very tasty.

I have all kinds of beans though I don't like kidney beans that much...nor white beans. I end up cooking mostly black beans :-) and all the Indian lentils - red, moong dal, etc...

ETA - and chickpeas I really like....

There is no way I'm eating veggies every day for breakfast. I just don't like it. If I get mushrooms, spinach and/or broccoli into my eggs, it's maybe 1-2x per week.

However, getting 5-6 servings of veggies a day is NOT hard! If you have a salad for lunch, you already have 1 serving of greens (2 cups raw) and if you add 1 roma tomato, that's a 2nd serving. Between the carrots and cucumbers I also add, that's just about a *3rd* veggies serving in one meal!

I don't eat salad every day, though. At dinner, I sometimes eat 2 different veggies or take a double or triple serving. We love broccoli and eat at least 1 cup of steamed broccoli per person when we have it.

It's important to know what a serving IS. Here is one fun site and there are many more to show you that you may be getting in more than a serving without even realizing it!

http://oneserving.co.../fruit-and-veg/

I like that visual....

Joan

Those sound like good ideas - can't wait to try the roasted broccoli - never thought of doing that...And I just went to market and got a bunch of lettuce to puree....I got romaine - but is there a 'best' lettuce for pureeing? You're making me thirsty for fresh juices :-) I'm writing before lunch - everything is looking good :-)

Hadn't thought of that but I went off coffee too....but my chocolate consumption went up for several weeks ;-)

I can't say that I've been more sleepy since going off coffee - it was the warm drink habit that was hard to break, more than a 'wake up' drink....Are you getting enough exercise to get the blood circulating?

Just learned what "Gallo Pinto" is...thanks for your black bean/potato recipe - but what are "Lawreys"?

Thank you all,

Joan

I have Lupus so coming off the coffee and tea has left me with the reality of how tired and foggy I actually am. The party's over... boo. :tongue_smilie:

Gallo Pinto is awesome! It's great for using up old beans and white rice. Lawry's is just a seasoning. (I think I misspelled it earlier)

Do you have a favorite veg soup recipe (apart from the split pea one) ?

Never heard of sweet potato muffins....searching now....

Thanks,

Joan

I don't really have a recipe, I just take broth and add carrots, tomatoes, sometimes potatoes (often not) and handfuls of greens which cook down well. I season with salt, pepper, marjoram and thyme.

I want to try this http://allrecipes.com/recipe/make-ahead-vegetarian-moroccan-stew/

I have Lupus so coming off the coffee and tea has left me with the reality of how tired and foggy I actually am. The party's over... boo. :tongue_smilie:

Gallo Pinto is awesome! It's great for using up old beans and white rice. Lawry's is just a seasoning. (I think I misspelled it earlier)

Oh wow - that is a serious health situation...no wonder you are feeling tired....

I don't really have a recipe, I just take broth and add carrots, tomatoes, sometimes potatoes (often not) and handfuls of greens which cook down well. I season with salt, pepper, marjoram and thyme.

I want to try this http://allrecipes.co...-moroccan-stew/

That's a good idea to add the greens to the soup like that....the Moroccan stew looks good (and reminded me that I like chickpeas)...

Thanks!

Joan

This is a bit different, but how about a savory porridge? Something like this recipe, but with broccoli or kale ... http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Brown-Rice-and-Gai-Lan-Jook-_Rice-Porridge_-Recipe-Chow-57328?columns=4&position=13/36

Also, my breakfast smoothie tastes great: 1/2 banana, 1 cup three-berry mix (Costco/Sam's Club), 1 cup water, 1/2 cup carrots, huge handful of spinach, 1 T chunk of ginger, 1 t cinnamon, 1 T ground flax seed... throw it in the blender and let blend!

This is a bit different, but how about a savory porridge? Something like this recipe, but with broccoli or kale ... http://www.yummly.co...&position=13/36

Also, my breakfast smoothie tastes great: 1/2 banana, 1 cup three-berry mix (Costco/Sam's Club), 1 cup water, 1/2 cup carrots, huge handful of spinach, 1 T chunk of ginger, 1 t cinnamon, 1 T ground flax seed... throw it in the blender and let blend!

Oooo yeah, like a congee!

This is a bit different, but how about a savory porridge? Something like this recipe, but with broccoli or kale ... http://www.yummly.co...&position=13/36

I'm going to try your smoothie today - since getting better, I've been having trouble eating my morning veggies......It took two days to drink that last green smoothie :-)

ETA - the porridge with veg is a great idea! and with whole grain rice! I've been making porridge for years and years from when we lived in SE Asia - such a good way to use leftover rice...but I've never put in large leafy veggies....nor used brown rice...

I forgot that there IS a veggie that I'll eat for breakfast and it's these twice-baked potatoes with mashed cauliflower added to the potato filling!

http://www.skinnytas...d-potatoes.html

Those look healthy with broccoli on top.....sounds good to put cauliflower inside too....But did you make them the night before? Sounds like a lot of cooking for the morning....

Joan

I avoid eating raw spinach, so I don't put that in my smoothies.

Now that I'm working through these recipes and starting to focus on green smoothies - you have me wondering why you don't eat 'raw' spinach? It seems like I've read a long time ago about bioavailability problems of the iron or is it something else - or just a personal thing?

Thanks!

Joan

Just made something close to this but a bit less cinnamon...it's quite different than the one I made two days ago and not bad...then I added some almond milk which made it even more interesting....

What berries are in the Costco mix? (I used blue and strawberries)

ETA - mine was a 'brown' smoothie....

Thanks,

Joan

I made savory pancakes the other day (inspired by this http://www.nisahomey.com/2012/02/mixed-vegetable-dosarice-crepesstep-by.html but with a crepe batter made with different grains) and I realized finely chopping vegetables really helps reduce them! Also I made a salad dressing that included a bunch of herbs, and that inspired me to start adding pureed greens to things, like spinach, as they reduce in volume dramatically. I have been trying to put bits of vegetables in things, e.g. Zucchini or spinach in a sandwich. I think a serving size is actually pretty small.

Oh, yeah, and I made broccoli soup (not for breakfast) and you can put several other vegetables in there. I added cauliflower, a bit of carrot, and then a big handful of spinach at the end, to be pureed, to bring back a nice green color.

I was looking in Apples for Jam last night and liked the sound of squash fritters, made taking boiled, mashed winter squash and adding some flour and a bit of baking powder (she also used sugar and cinnamon, but you could make it savory).... Sounded nice. 1-1/4 lbs of squash supposedly ends up as 1 c mashed.

Now that I'm working through these recipes and starting to focus on green smoothies - you have me wondering why you don't eat 'raw' spinach? It seems like I've read a long time ago about bioavailability problems of the iron or is it something else - or just a personal thing?

Thanks!

Joan

:bigear:

I should mention that I'm embarking on this whole thrifty budget experiment, so I'd love to hear more green smoothie recipes that use frozen spinach, since that's so much cheaper.

Those look healthy with broccoli on top.....sounds good to put cauliflower inside too....But did you make them the night before? Sounds like a lot of cooking for the morning....

Joan

Oh, we eat them for dinner. (Making them tonight, actually!) I make almost double what we need and the kids and I eat them for breakfast and lunch for the next few days. :) I'll even make scrambled eggs and add those on top or on the side.

I made savory pancakes the other day (inspired by this http://www.nisahomey...pesstep-by.html but with a crepe batter made with different grains) and I realized finely chopping vegetables really helps reduce them! Also I made a salad dressing that included a bunch of herbs, and that inspired me to start adding pureed greens to things, like spinach, as they reduce in volume dramatically. I have been trying to put bits of vegetables in things, e.g. Zucchini or spinach in a sandwich. I think a serving size is actually pretty small.

Oh, yeah, and I made broccoli soup (not for breakfast) and you can put several other vegetables in there. I added cauliflower, a bit of carrot, and then a big handful of spinach at the end, to be pureed, to bring back a nice green color.

I was looking in Apples for Jam last night and liked the sound of squash fritters, made taking boiled, mashed winter squash and adding some flour and a bit of baking powder (she also used sugar and cinnamon, but you could make it savory).... Sounded nice. 1-1/4 lbs of squash supposedly ends up as 1 c mashed.

Oh I love Masala dosas! I used to make them from scratch and finally decided it was just too time consuming once we had more children who ate a lot more....but now that some are gone - I bet I could manage this again....sounds yummy with veggies mixed in....

All these good healthy food ideas - it's very encouraging to read everyone's ideas.....

Hey stripe - you made me laugh with your sentence "I was looking in Apples for Jam last night" - sounds like you went to a town named Apples and looked for a friend named Jam :-) Ok, your squash fritters sound very tasty too...:-)

Nowadays it seems like I'm always hungry so things sound even better....

I should mention that I'm embarking on this whole thrifty budget experiment, so I'd love to hear more green smoothie recipes that use frozen spinach, since that's so much cheaper.

that sounds like a good idea - frozen spinach - yes, me too :bigear: Your experiment looks interesting - I'd be overbudget....

Joan

Oh, we eat them for dinner. (Making them tonight, actually!) I make almost double what we need and the kids and I eat them for breakfast and lunch for the next few days. :) I'll even make scrambled eggs and add those on top or on the side.

You're making me hungry! But I think I'll still have to have them for lunch or supper too....One thing I realized after getting sick and not eating much for 5 days is that when I eat such a big breakfast (2 eggs, lots of veggies, etc), my stomach expands and then I'm hungrier the rest of the day....Hopefully in a few months I'll have the perfect health food rotation of breakfasts, lunch and suppers with soups and smoothies to snack on....

Thanks 6pack!

Joan

Oh I love Masala dosas! ...

Hey stripe - you made me laugh with your sentence "I was looking in Apples for Jam last night" - sounds like you went to a town named Apples and looked for a friend named Jam :-) Ok, your squash fritters sound very tasty too...:-)

They weren't quite masala dosas, I didn't put anything in them, they were sort of vege crepes, I don't know what to call them. But not bad. No one else liked them! Ha

Apples for Jam is a cookbook by Tessa Kiros. ;)

Eta: The cookbook blog lady had other ideas with minced veges because her kids don't like them, e.g. for rice http://www.nisahomey.com/2012/09/easy-vegetable-pulavveg-pulaostep-by.html

Just made something close to this but a bit less cinnamon...it's quite different than the one I made two days ago and not bad...then I added some almond milk which made it even more interesting....

What berries are in the Costco mix? (I used blue and strawberries)

The berries in the mix are blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. I also sometimes do straight strawberries, but it isn't my favorite.

And I should disclose that my tastebuds are all sorts of wacky -- I am doing "Eat to Live", which is all about fruits and veggies... anything that isn't a salad makes me deliriously happy. :)

You can also roast broccoli with olive oil and puree it--

I roasted broccoli with olive oil and garlic this morning and it was sooooo good. I think I could eat this for many days....

Dd didn't like the garlic smell when I brought it into the study to eat :-) but she ate some for lunch too.

They weren't quite masala dosas, I didn't put anything in them, they were sort of vege crepes, I don't know what to call them. But not bad. No one else liked them! Ha

Apples for Jam is a cookbook by Tessa Kiros. ;)

Eta: The cookbook blog lady had other ideas with minced veges because her kids don't like them, e.g. for rice http://www.nisahomey...laostep-by.html

I have such fond memories of masala dosas that I had to remark.....the veggie dosas sound good - did you use urud dal?

Ok about the cookbook :-)

I like the blog lady's ideas - thanks!

The berries in the mix are blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. I also sometimes do straight strawberries, but it isn't my favorite.

And I should disclose that my tastebuds are all sorts of wacky -- I am doing "Eat to Live", which is all about fruits and veggies... anything that isn't a salad makes me deliriously happy. :)

Oh yes, I know the Eat to Live book....isn't his hypothesis that we eat too much because we're really needing the nutrients in fruits and veggies? I think it's quite logical and was trying to follow it at one point, at the same time as Fit for Life and slowly ended up shifting back towards the typical unhealthy diet....But I'm trying once again with all those thoughts in mind, to make changes that will last this time....

Thanks for the berry mix...

I made such a big smoothie yesterday that I had more to drink today....it was actually better the second day when the flavors melded a bit...

Then I tried the one on the Green Smoothie thread... it's actually pretty good - with almond butter and almond milk....very smooth...

I tried to make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies today and they were disgusting! :)

I guess that's not so good for the budget either - to have food that no one wants to eat...:0

Joan

• 4 weeks later...