Menu

Influenza ~ Frustrated ~ What do I do now?

Amy in NH

I am 99% sure my eldest son has influenza. He came down with his first symptoms at this time last night:

Tight chest with a dry unproductive cough

Mildly swollen-sore throat

I gave him some expectorant and made sure the humidifier was full.

He got up today with increased symptoms:

Fever 100.9

Tight chest

Dry unproductive cough with chest pain

Aches/tired all over

I called his PCP's office and left a message. Called back an hour later when I hadn't heard from anyone. Got shuffled around among office staff/nurses. When I finally had to leave the house late this afternoon, I called again for fear they would call as soon as I stepped out the door. They finally told me they couldn't fit him in. Why didn't they tell me that 3 hours ago?!?!?!

Frustrated, I called their larger office in a different town and spoke with someone. My understanding is that if influenza is verified and they start him on antivirals, it will lessen the contagion and duration of his illness. He is the first of 6 people in my house to come down with it. My younger two are flying to FL with an aunt next week.

I get shuffled to an office manager, then back to the unhelpful and busy nurse from the first office, the one who hadn't called me back. She tells me that they don't want to see him to verify flu, and even if it is flu they won't prescribe him an antiviral. Give him ibuprofen, fluids, and make sure everyone washes their hands...

Fever is now 102 and he has chills.

His body feels prickly all over, like when he was coming down with chicken pox last year.

There is no head-cold.

I call Ask A Nurse to see if I should bring him in to the ER. Will they confirm flu, and if it is flu will they treat him? Ask A Nurse has been cancelled, but the nurse/operator gives me the number to an Urgent Care Clinic. I call the clinic and speak with another nurse: If he is diagnosed with flu would would they prescribe an antiviral? What is the standard of care? She was surprised the PCP wouldn't prescribe an antiviral, and of course we should bring him in. Unfortunately, the Urgent Care Clinic is 3 hours away. I call the local ER. The nurse there says to go with what the PCP said; they wouldn't give him a prescription even if it is confirmed flu.

I have given him Ibuprofen and an expectorant since then. SO, now what do I do?

At the risk of being slammed by some on this board, I would go down to a drugstore and would get oscillococcillum and would dose everyone including the one you think has the flu. And I do the same with Sambucol (elderberry extract). I would not do a fever reducer unless the fever went over 102 because I want the fever to do it's job and kill the virus.

At the risk of being slammed by some on this board, I would go down to a drugstore and would get oscillococcillum and would dose everyone including the one you think has the flu. And I do the same with Sambucol (elderberry extract). I would not do a fever reducer unless the fever went over 102 because I want the fever to do it's job and kill the virus.

:iagree: This is what I would do. And make some chicken soup with lots of garlic.

They won't give him an antiviral because he isn't in a "high risk" category.

I did give him some Oscillococcinum when I gave him the Ibuprofen. I gave him the Ibuprofen because of the headache and body ache, even though I know the fever is a good thing for his immune system. He was pretty miserable...

I only have 3 doses of O- left, and I'm broke.

No copayment for the kids, and Insurance would have covered a prescription.

They won't give him an antiviral because he isn't in a "high risk" category.

Depending on how heavy your area has been hit with the flu they may very well be limiting prescriptions of antivirals, either because of the CDC recommendations or because of limited supply reserved for those who need it most. Here is an article discussing possibilities.

THIS. And get the brand name Sambucol syrup even though it's pricey ($20) - it's the only one that has been proven to work.

I would digress from Jean though and say it's okay to give him some fever reducer to help your dc feel better...

the best thing to do for the flu is ibuprofen, cough medicine, and isolate them from the rest of the family with lots of handwashing. its jsut a really miserable virus and you just have to live through it. the meds make it 1 day shorter - and it lasts from 4-15 days. good luck.

Sorry he is so sick! It does sound like influenza. Honestly, I think the best way to treat influenza is to try and keep him comfortable, keep him warm when he gets the chills, keep him hydrated, cold washcloths on the forehead if the fever gets too hot. We sometimes alternate between Tylonal and Aspirin. Keep him in his own area if you can, and since you are his nurse, wash your own hands often.

My daughter was one of the first ones in our town to get influenza. Her fever hovered at 104 for two days, which is extremely uncomfortable, but they recommended the emergency room only if it reached 105 (or if other dangerous symptoms developed, of course).

Our son-in-law is from Central American, and he said that his family always takes some kind of an effervescent drink when they are sick. He went to the drug store and found "AirMune Effervescent Health Formula" (over the counter) which seemed similar. Lucky for him, because he came down with the flu two days later. I don't know if it helped or not, but he seemed to think so. :) It contains vitamins, zinc, ginger, echinacea, and other goodies.

I don't know if this will make you feel better but last year my son was diagnosed and received anti-virals within 24 hours. He has a twin with immune compromise. It didn't help the rest of us to avoid the flu. I found out later that there really isn't any proof it reduces transmission rates at all, which as the primary reason we did it for him. Symptom wise it just didn't make much difference for him. Just as they say, I guess, he probably cut a day off his symptoms compared to the rest of the family. Tamiflu was horribly expensive (we have a high deductible) and has potential side effects (though he had none). For cost-benefit it was bust for us last year.

I did do high dose brand named Sambucol for everyone. It may have kept me from getting sick though my husband and other son did get influenza. I would do Sambucol again. I wonder if my husband and other son were exposed before the first child became symptomatic. I can't explain how I was the caretaker for 3 people with flu and didn't have any symptoms (we weren't vaxed) so I really think it helped me. I took flu level doses.

I'd try to isolate as much as you can so people aren't breathing droplets. Hand washing/sanitizer for everyone else. We got flu shots this year.

I can't explain how i was the caretaker for 3 people with flu and didn't have any symptoms (we weren't vaxed) so I really think it helped me. I took flu level doses.

Maybe you were one of about 30 percent of people who get the flu and are asymptomatic. ;). Maybe I should add Sambucol to my medicine cabinet, the flu has been pretty bad around here, every little bit helps when they are sick.

OP- I hope things are getting better for your son, fingers crossed that he's the only one that gets it.

Amy, how's it going today? I was thinking about you and your family this morning - hope everyone else in the house is still healthy!

Thank you.

So far so good. He was feeling okay in bed, but the aches returned when he got up. His fever at 10am was 101.2, so not too bad.

No one else has symptoms yet...

I am 99% sure my eldest son has influenza. He came down with his first symptoms at this time last night:

Tight chest with a dry unproductive cough

Mildly swollen-sore throat

I gave him some expectorant and made sure the humidifier was full.

He got up today with increased symptoms:

Fever 100.9

Tight chest

Dry unproductive cough with chest pain

Aches/tired all over

I called his PCP's office and left a message. Called back an hour later when I hadn't heard from anyone. Got shuffled around among office staff/nurses. When I finally had to leave the house late this afternoon, I called again for fear they would call as soon as I stepped out the door. They finally told me they couldn't fit him in. Why didn't they tell me that 3 hours ago?!?!?!

Frustrated, I called their larger office in a different town and spoke with someone. My understanding is that if influenza is verified and they start him on antivirals, it will lessen the contagion and duration of his illness. He is the first of 6 people in my house to come down with it. My younger two are flying to FL with an aunt next week.

I get shuffled to an office manager, then back to the unhelpful and busy nurse from the first office, the one who hadn't called me back. She tells me that they don't want to see him to verify flu, and even if it is flu they won't prescribe him an antiviral. Give him ibuprofen, fluids, and make sure everyone washes their hands...

Fever is now 102 and he has chills.

His body feels prickly all over, like when he was coming down with chicken pox last year.

There is no head-cold.

I call Ask A Nurse to see if I should bring him in to the ER. Will they confirm flu, and if it is flu will they treat him? Ask A Nurse has been cancelled, but the nurse/operator gives me the number to an Urgent Care Clinic. I call the clinic and speak with another nurse: If he is diagnosed with flu would would they prescribe an antiviral? What is the standard of care? She was surprised the PCP wouldn't prescribe an antiviral, and of course we should bring him in. Unfortunately, the Urgent Care Clinic is 3 hours away. I call the local ER. The nurse there says to go with what the PCP said; they wouldn't give him a prescription even if it is confirmed flu.

I have given him Ibuprofen and an expectorant since then. SO, now what do I do?

I disagree with what the ER nurse said. Three years ago when I had the flu, I was test two times for the flu, first with my PCP, and the second time in an urgent care. They used the swab test, and both tests came back negative. When I go so sick I couldn't stand up, my mother took me to the ER, where they drew blood and diagnosed me with flu Type B.

They sent me home with a Tamiflu rx and a bunch of other scripts for symptoms.

My kids all had it right at Christmas. The symptoms were exactly what you said your son had. The only one of us with a severe problem recovering was me ... and I have asthma and autoimmune disorders that can cause problems. The only person to try tp take Tamiflu was DH and it mad him very sick to his stomach. I hope your son feels better and that you avoid it...have you thought of wearing a mask? I wondered if that would have helped some of us avoid it this time...