Menu

A question about youth groups outings and amount of adult supervision required...

Merry

Hello,

Our youth group had an outing today to go ice skating in another city about half an hour away. Since our ds is only eleven and new to the youth group, my dh and I decided we'd better go along to keep an eye on him. When we arrived, we found that the youth pastor was the only adult there to supervise a group of about fifteen kids aged eleven up to seventeen or eighteen. It bothers me that there weren't any more adults there to help the pastor in case of emergencies. And the pastor didn't know that we would show up until we did.

So are there general guidelines for this? Such as should there always be more than one adult in charge of a group this size even though the kids are in middle school and older?

Also, shouldn't parents sign consent and medical forms?

I'm not sure if I should say something to the youth pastor about this as this might come across as criticism of his leadership. But I need to get this resolved before sending our ds on another outing like this.

I'd like to hear how other churches handle situations like this.

Emily

Typical game night/ movie night is usually the youth pastor, another adult in the building but not necessarily in the room, and 10-15 kids, 7th thru 12th grade. I never gave 'worrying' about it a thought but then when we joined this church one of mine was one of the older kids.

This would be up to your churches organization. Many churches have strict guidlines and many don't.

:iagree:

Our church doesn't have guidelines. But with us, parental involvement has never been an issue. We don't have a youth pastor. We lead by parental committee. We also have a family model youth program. A lot of our program things include the whole family. But you can't just send the youngers, the parents have to come with youngers. We leave it to our youth to plan things that are just them and they, well they just don't. Besides that we have some parents who always go. I happen to beone of them.

Our church doesn't have guidelines. But with us, parental involvement has never been an issue. We don't have a youth pastor. We lead by parental committee. We also have a family model youth program. A lot of our program things include the whole family. But you can't just send the youngers, the parents have to come with youngers. We leave it to our youth to plan things that are just them and they, well they just don't. Besides that we have some parents who always go. I happen to beone of them.

I like this idea, but what happens if the parents can't always attend the activities? There would be many, many time that neither DH or I would be able to go because of work...especially evenings and weekends. Would that mean our kids are excluded? Like I said, I like the famoly model, just not sure how it always works put practically.

I like this idea, but what happens if the parents can't always attend the activities? There would be many, many time that neither DH or I would be able to go because of work...especially evenings and weekends. Would that mean our kids are excluded? Like I said, I like the famoly model, just not sure how it always works put practically.

There should always, always be at least two adult, one male and one female. That just makes sense.

I would not send my child if there had not been permission slips and health forms signed.

I would also be reluctant to allow an 11yo dc to be part of a youth group that included such a wide range of ages, which wasn't your question, but I had to throw it out there. :-)

One of the problems with having just one adult is that there is nobody there to help in case of an emergency. If somebody is injured or becomes ill enough to require transportation to a medical center, either the sick child goes alone or the others are left to fend for themselves.

I think two adults would be the minimum.

Every church in the United States should have at least two adults present whenever youth outings are planned in order to protect both the kids and the youth pastor/church. One false accusation, and his life could be changed forever. Being alone with minors is a tremendous risk to the adult.

At our church, it must be 2 adults unless the adult is employed by the church and goes through background checks. So this situation wouldn't necessarily bother me.

I do think ages 11-18 is a WIDE range, and my expectations for an appropriate group for my just turned 12 year old will likely be different when he 16. My DS is doing stuff at our church with a jr. high group that is more like ages 11-14 (6th to 8th graders), which is working well right now. He would be a 6th grader.

I'm a youth group leader at my (pretty large) church. We take the youth kids on lots of outings, and there is ALWAYS at least one male and one female adult (it's important that this couple not be married to each other for legal reasons). Our preference is one group leader for every 3-5 students (depending on age). We get one medical form update per year and a permission slip for every single trip. Parents are always given cell phone numbers for leaders. All youth leaders have background checks and training for the youth ministry.

Don't feel bad at all about asking questions! Youth leaders/pastors shouldn't have any problem with parents wanting to know how the youth program is run!

I'm a youth group leader at my (pretty large) church. We take the youth kids on lots of outings, and there is ALWAYS at least one male and one female adult (it's important that this couple not be married to each other for legal reasons). Our preference is one group leader for every 3-5 students (depending on age). We get one medical form update per year and a permission slip for every single trip. Parents are always given cell phone numbers for leaders. All youth leaders have background checks and training for the youth ministry.

Don't feel bad at all about asking questions! Youth leaders/pastors shouldn't have any problem with parents wanting to know how the youth program is run!

This sounds like our church -- guidelines on the number of adults per kids, and if more boys than girls go there are more male adults, and vice versa for more girls than boys. All adults have been through safe sanctuary training and been check out. Medical forms turned in annually, permission slips on every trip. Info for contacting leaders given to parents for every trip.

I feel comfortable with my kids going anywhere with our youth group, including getting on a plane and going overseas.

Our scout group requires at least two adults at all times. For kids 11-13 there is an 8 kids per adult ratio and for 13-14 it is ten kids to one adult and for 15 and up it is 12 kids to one adult. We usually try to have 3 adults to meet the one adult present at all times rule. Like other people have mentioned, the adults have been background checked.