Menu

-

alisoncooks

But.... there is one recipe I have that actually is one of those sacred family secrets. It is a chocolate cake recipe that my grandmother made. Only one person gets the recipe and that was me. I had to write it down as she did it and then swear not to give it to another person in my generation. I can pass it on to my kid.

It is an amazing cake. Truly. But.... I love to cook and am always looking at recipes. I once found the same recipe in a very obvious place elsewhere. I am betting millions of people have this recipe or have seen it. It isn't really a secret, except to my other family members.

Aw, that's sweet! My grandmother did the exact thing, right down to it being chocolate cake (does your recipe happen to include a cup of boiling water?).

Aw, that's sweet! My grandmother did the exact thing, right down to it being chocolate cake (does your recipe happen to include a cup of boiling water?).

You know I can neither confirm nor deny that. :laugh:

No big deal. She's a natural cook who looked in her cabinet and threw a bunch of stuff together. No secret. Just able to cook on the fly. No slighting. Just trying to respond to your 2nd request while she is in the middle of something else, perhaps whipping up another meal or dealing w/ a child.

I wouldn't really think anything of it. Facebook can be an abrupt way to communicate and I wouldn't assume it was a slight at all. She may have thrown things together and not really remembered what and how much went into the dish that day. I've done that before. Try reading her statement with a positive tone instead. Face to face communication is a much better way to read tone.

I think you are thinking about it too much. I'm another one of those that throw things together. I'd be stressed if someone kept pressing me for an exact recipe because quite often I don't have one. I also age with Wehomeschool facebook is not the best way to communicate and one really shouldn't expect some long response or read into the brevity of the response. I can be very longwinded sometimes or very brief, more to do with my mood and how many kids are screaming at the moment. I have another friend who always responds to messages on her phone and is very busy, often typing replies inbetween schooling herself, her kids, and running a business. Quite often her messages come across as quite brief but she is just about the sweetest and most genuine person I know.

I would have been surprised by the response. After thinking it through, I would figure that either it was a secret or she just threw it together and doesn't have a recipe. However, if you found out from someone at church that they had the recipe, or if several others had it, than I would wonder what the deal was.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest she just threw the dish together and thought you'd have some luck looking for something online. That's how I do most of my cooking and I'd be at a loss if someone asked for a recipe for my soups or spaghetti sauce. She also may not pay a lot of attention to FB and, like so many people I know, just be rather awkward with pm's.

I honestly think you're giving this waaaay too much thought.

I agree with this. I'm an adapt-a-recipe person and my SIL is a throw it together and make it differently every time person, so I could easily see this exact thing happening.

More and more I see short snippets of conversation. I wouldn't let it offend me.

For those that have asked what the dish was, IDK....it was some sort of breakfast casserole. It had cheese and eggs....but I can't remember what meat (bacon, sausage?) but it had a ridiculously flaky, delicious pie-type crust. The main reason I was interested in it was both my kiddos ate it up and loved it -- and that's *so* rare.

Again, thanks for the responses. :)

The crust might have been a can of crescent rolls. For my breakfast casserole, I spread the rolls onto the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Then mix 6 beaten eggs, a lb of cooked/crumbled sausage, some salt and pepper, and about a cup each of cheddar and monterey jack cheese and dump it in the baking dish. Spread another 1/2-1 cup of cheese on top.and bake until done, about 30 minutes. It can be made up the night before and baked in the morning, but allow a little extra time since it will be cold when it goes in the oven.

Thanks again for all the feedback. They're all valid suggestions, but whatever the reason was (even if it's simply I'm overreacting) I'm moving on. My feathers are no longer ruffled. :p

RE: the recipe. Don't think it's crescent rolls... I've made several casseroles with a crescent roll crust but this was more like a pie crust. But thicker and crispier. LOL, oh well... maybe I can at least look forward to having it again on the next church breakfast event. :D :D

Thanks again for all the feedback. They're all valid suggestions, but whatever the reason was (even if it's simply I'm overreacting) I'm moving on. My feathers are no longer ruffled. :p

RE: the recipe. Don't think it's crescent rolls... I've made several casseroles with a crescent roll crust but this was more like a pie crust. But thicker and crispier. LOL, oh well... maybe I can at least look forward to having it again on the next church breakfast event. :D :D

Well, maybe that is her reason! Maybe it is her GoTo dish for get togethers and that is why she doesn't want to share the recipe!

Definitely a family secret or something that she wants to be her signature dish. Some people are funny like this! It would be a compliment to me if someone wanted the recipe.

I once taught someone to make salsa and they entered a salsa contest that I was entering less than two weeks later! They were my friend, but I was still irritated. Is that extremely petty to admit?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest she just threw the dish together and thought you'd have some luck looking for something online. That's how I do most of my cooking and I'd be at a loss if someone asked for a recipe for my soups or spaghetti sauce. She also may not pay a lot of attention to FB and, like so many people I know, just be rather awkward with pm's.

I honestly think you're giving this waaaay too much thought.

I tend to agree with this. Sounds to me like she is just busy and/or a little awkward on social media.