Menu

LDS social group...how was your Sunday?

melbotoast

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our missionaries used to be in apartment housing but years ago there were some issues with elders. Everything is couched in terms of holding down costs, but since then we have had missionaries living in member homes. The rules are complex: nobody living in the home of the opposite gender under age 18, have to have separate bedroom and bathroom and microwave/minifridge with access to kitchen facilities and sole access to laundry facilities on p-day. I think there are a few other rules as well.

We were told this was a church-wide effort.....

How are the missionaries housed where you are at?

Apartment near the bishops home

All of this talk about non lds family make me never want to tell about our beliefs. I'm really struggling. NO ONE knows except a few close friends and my husband. He has no interest in the church yet, but he is coming to the baptism tonight if he is home from work in time. That is interesting to me :)

Today we had a special conference session in our stake. Loved hearing from our new area representative. Then on the way home i got a call from our YW pres. She wanted to meet but I have a pretty difficult schedule during the week and so she offered to just talk with me over the phone. Which was good because i would have been balling in front of her if so...she was releasing me as Camp Director....well i had no idea and they've all been talking about it already. I actually felt bad because i'd spoken to two of the presidency last night at a youth activity about some camp things and they said not a word....i'd been asking for them to give me an assistant that i could train last year, but they never did...instead they are asking me to help her get acclimated to it and take on a large calling at camp...i guess it was the way it was presented as she didnt want me stressed out this year (seriously?! Everyone knows i love camp even though its a lot of work) and so she wanted to release me, but hey we want you in this calling and help her transition into running camp....thats more stressful to me....

I LOVE the sister taking over and she requested that i take the 4th years and their program (because she has done it once before and its a lot of work and she needs a capable sister), but my dd is there this year and to be quite honest (and i was totally up front with both of them), i think she needs her time away from me. We see each other 24/7 and struggle with our personalities clashing at times. I know she loves me being at camp in case she needs me, but i also know that she likes that i'm too busy to keep tabs on her. :) i offered to take on YLs and of course i was told i could have either one...

I am sad, but thats the way it goes sometimes.

Now to start a fast and some prayer. I've spoken with dd about it and she is thinking it over too. DH will be home later tonight and i'll talk to him...

All of this talk about non lds family make me never want to tell about our beliefs. I'm really struggling. NO ONE knows except a few close friends and my husband. He has no interest in the church yet, but he is coming to the baptism tonight if he is home from work in time. That is interesting to me :)

Can a former Mormon butt in here with some advice, or at least something to think about?

If you want your relationships to be true and authentic, you need to let the people around you know you as you are. I've been on both sides of this--as a Mormon growing up in a mostly non-Mormon environment and extended family, and now as a former Mormon with a largely Mormon extended family and family-in-law. Telling people that you have changed or are different from them in a significant way is tough, and there are rough patches at first, but then things settle down and you can all get used to the new normal.

It doesn't mean you have to share theology all the time with everyone you meet. I don't think my sister and I have discussed my religious beliefs since the initial phone call when I told her I didn't believe in Mormonism anymore, but I don't feel like I am hiding myself from her either. We just choose to focus on the things in life we agree on, or at least those in which our differences don't seem so emotional or threatening.

Best of luck as you navigate this change. :-)

Edited to fix typo.

Hi! I just saw this thread :) We are LDS. I'm a lifer and my husband will be a member 16 years on Saturday. His mom is agnostic and is still pretty confused as to how she could have raised a kid who grew up and got religious. We live in southern MD right now, but we're moving to San Antonio TX in 3 or 4 months. We're 1 1/2-2 hours from the temple now. After we move we'll be closer to the temple than we are to our ward building right now!

Hi! I just saw this thread :) We are LDS. I'm a lifer and my husband will be a member 16 years on Saturday. His mom is agnostic and is still pretty confused as to how she could have raised a kid who grew up and got religious. We live in southern MD right now, but we're moving to San Antonio TX in 3 or 4 months. We're 1 1/2-2 hours from the temple now. After we move we'll be closer to the temple than we are to our ward building right now!

Welcome to the thread:)

We lived in San Antonio some years ago--back when the nearest temple was in Houston. We moved away while the San Antonio temple was under construction. I remember visiting the construction site and being sad that I wouldn't be around to see it finished. San Antonio is a great place to live--I hope the move is a good one for you!

Tonight is the night. Kids are excited.

Soo...?? How did it go? We've had a few baptisms delayed in our ward this month due to illness. I've been thinking of you, and wondering if you ran into any snags or how the evening went for your family.

Can a former Mormon butt in here with some advice, or at least something to think about?

If you want your relationships to be true and authentic, you need to let the people around you know you as you are. I've been on both sides of this--as a Mormon growing up in a mostly non-Mormon environment and extended family, and now as a former Mormon with a largely Mormon extended family and family-in-law. Telling people that you have changed or are different from them in a significant way is tough, and there are rough patches at first, but then things settle down and you can all get used to the new normal.

It doesn't mean you have to share theology all the time with everyone you meet. I don't think my sister and I have discussed my religious beliefs since the initial phone call when I told her I didn't believe in Mormonism anymore, but I don't feel like I am hiding myself from her either. We just choose to focus on the things in life we agree on, or at least those in which our differences don't seem so emotional or threatening.

Best of luck as you navigate this change. :-)

Edited to fix typo.

I agree with Melinda. I hate telling family about changes in my life, but with something big like this openness and honesty is the best policy.

My dad's not LDS, and we've had few conversations about religion (or anything else of importance, really). My youngest dd was born 2 weeks before my oldest dd was baptized, and I invited my dad to fly out for the baptism and baby blessing. It surprised me that he cared enough to come. He doesn't agree with our religion, but he still loves me and my kids, so he is able to be supportive.

When I started homeschooling, I was sick to my stomach about telling him. He didn't agree with that decision either, but I'm lucky that he keeps most of his opinions to himself and didn't let it ruin our relationship. :p

I hope you're able to find an appropriate time to share your new beliefs with your family and they will be able to be loving and supportive as well. :grouphug:

you can pray for their hearts to be softened when you tell them. and for the spirit to guide you to share it in a positive way and to give you courage. I was baptized before I turned 18 - so I had to have my mother's permission. ( she couldn't decided if she was an agnostic or not .) I prayed she'd let me be baptized, and she did sign the permission slip shortly afterwards. despite our *very* different standards, she respected mine and we had many treasured moments over the years when I could share some sacred/tender experiences :Angel_anim: . my siblings thought it was a phase :blink: , and pretty much ignored it. it was years before my brother really started causing trouble :toetap05: , but he has many issues. I only had one person in my family I was particularly afraid of :chillpill: (my personality disorder grandmother :svengo:) and when I was ready to stand up to her , I proceeded and just let her huffing and puffing go in one ear and out the other :ph34r: . (which was a bigger irritation to her.)

His mom is agnostic and is still pretty confused as to how she could have raised a kid who grew up and got religious.

:seeya: I've always thought confusion was a big part of agnosticism. ;) (my mom was agnostic )

we're on the reverse block. I was pulled out of RS becasue dudeling was having a particularly hard day. we sat in the car until it was time for sacrament meeting. by then he'd decompressed enough, he was happy to sit and draw.

OK, so I have a question maybe you guys can help me with. I'm looking for a good book of BoM stories to read to my girls. Ideally I want find quality illustrated picture books of individual stories, but as far as I can tell, nothing like this exists. I have the ones the church puts out, but I was hoping for something else. You know, like something they can sit and look at while I read to them?

I wish I could get my hand on these. We had them when I was a kid and they would be perfect (at least I think they would be. I was a kid at the time).

ETA: Also, do you have any favorite Bible story books that are LDS friendly?

OK, so I have a question maybe you guys can help me with. I'm looking for a good book of BoM stories to read to my girls. Ideally I want find quality illustrated picture books of individual stories, but as far as I can tell, nothing like this exists. I have the ones the church puts out, but I was hoping for something else. You know, like something they can sit and look at while I read to them?

I wish I could get my hand on these. We had them when I was a kid and they would be perfect (at least I think they would be. I was a kid at the time).

ETA: Also, do you have any favorite Bible story books that are LDS friendly?

I had this for my older kids,and got another. the hardback was poor quality binding and would fall apart. I now have a paperback that I put clear contact paper on the cover, and it's holding up well.

eta: I like that it's stories that are much easier for my asd son to follow.

as for the other, keep a look out, they do come up on occasion for reasonable prices. there were several versions with different numbers of books.

Friday was wonderful and on sunday the blessings the kids received were wonderful. I feel like we have joined a great big family. Our ward is amazing and wonderful and everyone is so thrilled.

I told my mom today about our preference and it went ok. We have a complicated relationship anyway, and we don't talk much due to mental illness etc.

Bibles. My daughter and I have a birthday on Sunday. She wants a quad bible badly. Do your 8 year olds have quads?

We get our kids a nice triple and a separate bible, along with a scripture case when they turn 8. Quads are a bit unwieldy, especially for smaller hands. We have a couple of quads around our house and it makes me cringe to watch my kids handle them.

My seminary student wanted a quad and it's tradition in our family to get a nice set with your name on them when you start seminary. You get a new economy set of a triple combo and BOM with a new carrier of choice and choice of marking pens/pencils for baptism to mark up to your hearts content. It's actually been good because they start to find their own personal style of marking during those years. Then they know just howt they want mark in their new ones :)

Bibles. My daughter and I have a birthday on Sunday. She wants a quad bible badly. Do your 8 year olds have quads?

That's our typical 8 year old/baptism gift, an inexpensive quad. (At 12 the girl got a really nice dress and the boys will get their first suits.)

Of course now my 6 year old has a Fire and reads scriptures on there so I guess that shoots the quad at 8 idea. The older two no longer bother with their paper ones and instead use the scriptures on their Fires. Melody even has her own LDS account now synced to her gospel library app for her notes and stuff (I do it the same way).

That's our typical 8 year old/baptism gift, an inexpensive quad. (At 12 the girl got a really nice dress and the boys will get their first suits.)

Of course now my 6 year old has a Fire and reads scriptures on there so I guess that shoots the quad at 8 idea. The older two no longer bother with their paper ones and instead use the scriptures on their Fires. Melody even has her own LDS account now synced to her gospel library app for her notes and stuff (I do it the same way).

We've mostly switched to digital too. It's so much more flexible and I especially like that I can add in long notes from a variety of sources.

I've found that I prefer digital for church (takes up so much less space than carrying around my quad) but that I prefer having a physical copy in my hands for at-home study.

Church went pretty well this week. DS2 fell asleep during sacrament meeting so I sat with him after it ended and let him snooze on the bench until he woke up (was kind of mad that I didn't have my scriptures with me then - talk about a missed opportunity!) and then I went with him to nursery for the rest of the 2nd hour. That went really well up until the last few minutes when one of the other kids had a rather impressive meltdown because he didn't want snack time to be over, which scared DS2 enough that he stopped being social and crawled up on my lap and didn't want anything to do with anybody else after that. DH took DS1 to primary and while DS enjoyed singing time/sharing time he was definitely very nervous and wouldn't budge from DH's lap the entire time. After the 2nd hour he realized that it had been a whole hour since he'd seen mama and his brother and between thinking that we had gotten lost in the new church and the attempted transition between singing time and class... suffice to say we came home after the second hour. Part of me feels we should have "stuck it out" and not 'rewarded' him by coming home... but I was happy to come home as well (both the benches in the chapel and the little seats in nursery = killer on hips/back. Not to mention that the only dress-y shoes I have are heels which are rather uncomfortable at 39weeks pregnant...).

so, any details? you can't post that and NOT have details!

All I know is that my facebook friend posted the picture and someone commented on her post that he found his birthmother right after posting. That Utah adoptive mom circles run kinda small...especially for us transracial moms lol.

Who here has ordered from Emergency Essentials? My MIL gave us a $50 gift card for Christmas 2012 and I dug it out of my junk drawer tonight intending to spend it before I forget again! I'm mostly looking at things like freeze-dried fruits and veggies that I could throw into casseroles/soups and desserts.

I bought Book of Mormon Stories for Young Latter-Day Saints when a general authority mentioned it being read to him as a child during General Conference a while ago. I was hesitant to read it because the first chapter mentions things about Noah that isn't in the scriptures; I'm not sure where she got the info from. I just explained that to the kids and moved on. Other than that it has been really good so far.

I found A Young Folk's History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, by Nephi Anderson for free on Gutenburg. Haven't read it yet.

And The Children's Bible I found at Goodwill. It looks excellent.

Have you folks seen this--the church is creating 58 new missions. Hastening the work, indeed.

It looks like our mission is getting split. I'll have to ask the missionaries about that.

And so many more in Mexico and Brazil! And I'm happy to see a new mission in Ukraine, although I'd hoped there would be a new one in Togo too.

I bought Book of Mormon Stories for Young Latter-Day Saints when a general authority mentioned it being read to him as a child during General Conference a while ago. I was hesitant to read it because the first chapter mentions things about Noah that isn't in the scriptures; I'm not sure where she got the info from. I just explained that to the kids and moved on. Other than that it has been really good so far.

we have a very old copy of the book of mormon stories - autographed by Emma Marr Peterson. Her husband was Mark E. Peterson, of the Quorum of the Twelve.

eta: I read the begining in reference to Noah and do not see anything that is contrary to Mormon Doctrine. Some of that you will find in the D&C where it refers to the Garden of Eden being upon this continent, or writings/teachs of Joseph Smith.

Have you folks seen this--the church is creating 58 new missions. Hastening the work, indeed.

Wow! They are creating a new mission in the town I grew up in! And now they are currently building a temple in Tucson, where I went to high school. So exciting to see these changes happening.

I'm hoping some of you out there can help me with my RS lesson I'm getting ready to teach. I was just asked yesterday to substitute for this Sunday, which I'm fine with. However, the assigned conference talk is Elder Christofferson's from priesthood session (here's the link http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/10/brethren-we-have-work-to-do?lang=eng). I've taught priesthood session talks in RS before, but this is a very male-oriented talk and I'm working on ways to make it apply to women.

I am not willing to turn it into a supporting-the-men-around-us talk since nearly any Relief Society has a large number of women who don't have priesthood holders around to support, at least in a meaningful way. I think I'll probably turn it into a discussion of how all of us need to do the things mentioned in the talk and how we can help each other do that.

But if you have any great suggestions for this, I'd love to hear them.

I'm hoping some of you out there can help me with my RS lesson I'm getting ready to teach. I was just asked yesterday to substitute for this Sunday, which I'm fine with. However, the assigned conference talk is Elder Christofferson's from priesthood session (here's the link http://www.lds.org/g...-to-do?lang=eng). I've taught priesthood session talks in RS before, but this is a very male-oriented talk and I'm working on ways to make it apply to women.

I am not willing to turn it into a supporting-the-men-around-us talk since nearly any Relief Society has a large number of women who don't have priesthood holders around to support, at least in a meaningful way. I think I'll probably turn it into a discussion of how all of us need to do the things mentioned in the talk and how we can help each other do that.

one of the first things that comes to my mind is that women need to respect men as much as they demand men respect them - their sons, their brothers, their husbands, their fathers, etc. every woman has a father. many have brothers, or sons. I realize that isn't the direction you want to go - but I trust you will go in the direction Heavenly Father wants you to go. (after all, He knows exactly what the sisters in your ward need to hear.)

for a number of years, I've seen much in advertising, especially on TV, what is essentially male-bashing humor to appeal to women. I once attempted to purchase a humorous thinking of you card for my college dd. there were two kinds. male-bashing, and sex. (eta: I complained to the store manager - who had no say in the stock. but they were all purchased by a woman.)

I was very disturbed when a popular sister in rs brought in a bunch of gingerbread men with the card attached of "the perfect man - he's sweet and if he gives you any carp, you can bite his head off". To me, it was very disrespectful. For a latter-day saint woman to support humor (or other) that bashes anyone, is unbecoming a daughter of God.

I'm hoping some of you out there can help me with my RS lesson I'm getting ready to teach. I was just asked yesterday to substitute for this Sunday, which I'm fine with. However, the assigned conference talk is Elder Christofferson's from priesthood session (here's the link http://www.lds.org/g...-to-do?lang=eng). I've taught priesthood session talks in RS before, but this is a very male-oriented talk and I'm working on ways to make it apply to women.

But if you have any great suggestions for this, I'd love to hear them.

one of the first things that comes to my mind is that women need to respect men as much as they demand men respect them - their sons, their brothers, their husbands, their fathers, etc. every woman has a father. many have brothers, or sons. I realize that isn't the direction you want to go - but I trust you will go in the direction Heavenly Father wants you to go. (after all, He knows exactly what the sisters in your ward need to hear.)

for a number of years, I've seen much in advertising, especially on TV, what is essentially male-bashing humor to appeal to women. I once attempted to purchase a humorous thinking of you card for my college dd. there were two kinds. male-bashing, and sex. (eta: I complained to the store manager - who had no say in the stock. but they were all purchased by a woman.)

I was very disturbed when a popular sister in rs brought in a bunch of gingerbread men with the card attached of "the perfect man - he's sweet and if he gives you any carp, you can bite his head off". To me, it was very disrespectful. For a latter-day saint woman to support humor (or other) that bashes anyone, is unbecoming a daughter of God.

I just read through the talk you referenced, Amira. I think your idea is a good one--much of what is talked about are things we should all be doing, and we all have room to improve. You could definitely frame a good lesson around that. I also agree with gardenmom that a discussion of the culture of male-bashing/denigration and its negative impact on ourselves as women, and on our husbands/brothers/fathers/sons/daughters/current or future sons-in-law could be very beneficial. This paragraph from the conference talk struck me:

"In their zeal to promote opportunity for women, something we applaud, there are those who denigrate men and their contributions. They seem to think of life as a competition between male and female—that one must dominate the other, and now it’s the women’s turn. Some argue that a career is everything and marriage and children should be entirely optional—therefore, why do we need men?2 In too many Hollywood films, TV and cable shows, and even commercials, men are portrayed as incompetent, immature, or self-absorbed. This cultural emasculation of males is having a damaging effect."

As women, we need to be aware of our own attitudes and their impact on others. Cultural shifts that have given women a broader scope in life seem to have simultaneously robbed men of a sense of purpose and worth. It is as if we have come to view men as flawed women, and as a society are quick to belittle characteristically male traits. Men are not empathetic enough, don't communicate well enough, are too focused on technology or on sports, they have too much sex drive; when we tell them about a problem we are experiencing they try to fix the problem instead of giving us the hug we really wanted. Men are, oddly enough, male, and behave in characteristically male ways--which in modern female society is usually taken as an indication that they are broken. Men hear that message throughout their lives. Combine that with the fact that women have shown they can do whatever men can do--from operating excavators to flying fighter jets--and that our society sends the message that men are not needed as providers and protectors for women and children, the women can do all that themselves too--and boys grow up to be men without knowing really what a man is or should be, without feeling that they have an essential and unique role to play.

I am blessed to have many good men in my life, including a husband, a father, and brothers. I am grateful for their support in many ways. I am grateful for their companionship. I understand that many women are lacking such support, but surely it is not wrong for those women to discuss the loss that such a lack is in their life, and the hope that their support and encouragement can help some of the men and boys around them understand how vital their role is and live up to their true potential as men.

Who here has ordered from Emergency Essentials? My MIL gave us a $50 gift card for Christmas 2012 and I dug it out of my junk drawer tonight intending to spend it before I forget again! I'm mostly looking at things like freeze-dried fruits and veggies that I could throw into casseroles/soups and desserts.

I have ordered from them, also Auguson Foods and Honeyville. I haven't ordered from Walton Foods, but I hear they are good too.

With Emergency Essentials, I tend to stick with things that are on sale or that I can't get from the storehouse...buttermilk powder, powdered eggs, freeze-dried stuff. I've liked the things I've got so far.

I have ordered from them, also Auguson Foods and Honeyville. I haven't ordered from Walton Foods, but I hear they are good too.

With Emergency Essentials, I tend to stick with things that are on sale or that I can't get from the storehouse...buttermilk powder, powdered eggs, freeze-dried stuff. I've liked the things I've got so far.

I think I'll try Honeyville next. I've heard good things about them. I think Emergency Essentials is pricey, but like I said, I have this gift card. . . I turned it over and discovered it was supposed to expire in November anyway, so we'll see if they honor it. If they won't I'm just going to cancel the order.

I've got to come up with a better system for keeping track of gift cards! I routinely lose them and then come across them later.

I think I'll try Honeyville next. I've heard good things about them. I think Emergency Essentials is pricey, but like I said, I have this gift card. . . I turned it over and discovered it was supposed to expire in November anyway, so we'll see if they honor it. If they won't I'm just going to cancel the order.

I've got to come up with a better system for keeping track of gift cards! I routinely lose them and then come across them later.

I stick them in my wallet where I see them all the time, lol

Well lets see...our sunday went well, but my phone started playing songs in the middle of our closing hymn and anyone sitting up towards the front could hear it! I had downloaded two youth songs for someone to hear, but they don't usually start automatically playing once they finish and I'd had my phone on silent, but I guess not the media volume, lol. One of the youth who gave a talk and was still sitting there was trying frantically to get it to be quiet, but it's got a password on it! So he just chucked it between his legs and held it there until it stopped, lol.

The primary made cards for our ward missionary and my family had bought items to put into a box to mail to him in Peru! He'll love it. He used to help teach the 3-6 year olds (we have a very small ward and we have only two primary classes).

I got released from being the Stake Camp Director (though not officially). But now I'm to work with the YL's instead :)

Trying to sell a few things on ebay to help pay for my daughters trip to EFY. I really wish they would hold one nearer to us...We're planning on attending the one in San Antonio...it's a long drive...

So here is my Sunday whine. DH and I are in nursery...there is 1 other couple...they are out of town this week and didn't try to find a sub...so I got sick and can't go...called the Primary Pres (no answer) called 4 other people no one could sub. Went through the ward list and everyone else was in a calling that made nursery hard (YW, Sunday school and primary) so I don't know if they had anyone in nursery...and did I mention the Primary Pres didn't answer her phone. Now I am going to be gone for the next 2 weeks and worry that no one will be able to do nursery. Grr I wish we had a current list of people willing to do nursery.

Today was Stake Conference, and it was done via broadcast from Salt Lake. The speakers were our area 70 (I forget his name), the Presiding Bishop, Sis. Dibbs, and Elder Ballard. During he adult session last night we had regular speakers who were all really excellent, followed by a broadcast from Elder Hales, who spoke on Provident Living and living in a way that helps us prepare for troubled times, or, if we're blessed to be able to avoid troubled times, it allows us to help those who are dealing with them. It was really a great conference.

The one part I remember most from this morning's broadcast was Sis Dibb's story of attending a YW activity here in NV, and offering to make homemade rolls to eat with the homemade peach jam the girls were going to be making for their activity. Her description had everyone feeling so hungry. LOL. But I also liked how she pointed out to the girls (who all LOVED the rolls) that they were used to the "counterfeit" (i.e. pop-can rolls :lol: ) and how the extra work that goes into the real thing is far more worth it, and brings better, more satisfying results.

I know it's not a profound thought, but I thought it would be a great YW activity. (I've been feeling a vibe since we got here that I'm going to be called back into YW's, so I'm trying to be prepared just in case).

nm

Sorry your day went wonky; HUGS!.

I had a sister who was supposed to show up this afternoon (who made the appointment with me) so I could hand over all the camp stuff and go over what needed to be done...she forgot about it...well, atleast the house got cleaned, the list got typed up and the camp stuff is in the garage. But I would have been able to spend some time with my horses instead and would have rathered since I don't have much time during the week to do it.

Our Sunday was ok. About 10 minutes before we were supposed to leave to go to church, my 2 year old was found covered in Sharpie in our bathroom. Since her arms were almost completely black, we tried to get it off. Turns out, you aren't supposed to use magic erasers on skin, so now her skin looks horrible and hurts her. Oops. Mommy fail. :crying:

Then, during Sacrament meeting, she told us that her belly hurt, so we spent all of the meeting being worried that she might throw up. She didn't and seems to be fine, but it was a terrifying 45 minutes. Have any of you ever had a kid throw up in Sacrament meeting? I don't even know how I would handle that.

Nursery went well, so no complaints there. Oh, and Dh, who is a third year medical student was asked to go help with a pregnant lady who collapsed. Poor guy has so little practical training yet, but he has the most of anyone in the ward so he has been called on a few times now. He knows what he'd do in a hospital, but has no idea what to do in an empty classroom. He takes care of the baby during the second two hours too, so one of the bishopric had to take her while he was helping the pregnant lady. I didn't know this when dh popped into nursery and asked me if I had her. I got terrified for a minute that he had lost our 10 month old, but it was all good. :)

So, overall, not a bad Sunday, although not a particularly spiritually edifying one either. :)

We have multiple non-LDS friends and family members and they don't have a problem with it (nor us with them). Even friends I have who have hostile feelings towards the church themselves have no issue with us being LDS. They just want to be left alone in their own religious area.

Friday was wonderful and on sunday the blessings the kids received were wonderful. I feel like we have joined a great big family. Our ward is amazing and wonderful and everyone is so thrilled.

I told my mom today about our preference and it went ok. We have a complicated relationship anyway, and we don't talk much due to mental illness etc.

YAY!!!!!!!!! *happy dance*

I don't like quads at all, myself. So unwieldy!! I still have the triple and Bible combo I got for my baptism (name on it all fancy schmancy, lol), and I plan to do the same for the kidlets.

Our Sunday was good. I just wish we still overlapped with the other ward and didn't have to wait until 1 for church to start.

About 4 years ago my dad gave a Book of Mormon to a coworker. My dad has answered questions as they've come up. In December the coworker started meeting with the missionaries. This Saturday he's going to be baptized! Our family is going of course. We are so excited for him.