Menu

Need a good soup recipe!

TXBeth

We have dinner with neighborhood friends every Friday, and this week the plan is soups. Someone is bringing some nice bread and three of us are making soup. The others are doing potato and tomato, so I'm thinking I should do something with meat. I thought of cheeseburger soup, but since that's basically potato with meat and cheese added, I'm afraid it would seem like I'm trying to one-up the other person. I don't want to do chicken noodle because it has to sit for a while before we eat and the noodles would be mush.

So maybe a beef w/vegetables or a chicken and rice or something else I haven't thought of. What's your favorite soup recipe?

Not a meat soup, but this is one of our staples in winter:

Abruzzese Lentil Soup

250g small brown or green lentils

2 garlic cloves, smashed

2 bay leaves

2 tbsp olive oil

100g thick bacon or pancetta, diced

1 onion, finely chopped

2 carrots, peeled and diced

2 celery stalks, finely sliced

400g canned tomatoes, chopped

400g canned chickpeas, drained

Salt and pepper

2 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped

Rinse the lentils and place in a pot with the garlic cloves, bay leaves and 1.5 litres of cold water. Cook for 30 minutes or until almost tender, skimming occasionally.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the bacon, onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring well, for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stir well, then add the lentils and their water.

Simmer for 20 minutes until nice and soupy. Add the chickpeas, salt and pepper, and simmer for a further 10 minutes or longer, adding extra water if necessary. Stir in the parsley and serve in warm soup bowls.

Serves 6.

My last two batches of soup have been the Italian Chicken Soup at Pioneer Woman. I used yellow and orange peppers instead of the green and cut the cream in half. Also left out the noodles, come to think of it. My family loves it.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/italian-chicken-soup/

We like Cheeseburger soup as well. I wouldn't see it as one upping anyone. It always goes over well and I've seen kids who normally wouldn't eat soup gobble it down.

There is this one which I make using leftover shredded chicken, homemade broth from the freezer or from the store in a pinch, and whole, lactose free milk in place of the half-&-half

http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2012/11/amazing-thanksgiving-leftover-soup.html

I also use the same method above to make any kind of creamy chicken & veggie soup.

Amber in Sj

This recipe was the first time I EVER used "processed cheese food" But I will definitely use it again b/c this soup was DELICIOUS! I added some shredded carrots, and it looked like and tasted like Panera's Brocolli Cheese soup.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/broccoli-cheese-soup/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=brocolli%20cheese%20soup&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

This is the best soup ever (I can eat three bowls whenever we make it), and while it would be quite pretty with (white) potato soup and (red) tomato soup, it might be too similar to the others for your preference. Butternut Squash Soup with Thai Gremolata from Better Homes & Gardens. It is SO good, and the gremolata is very important to it's yumminess.

A relative brought this soup to my house on Christmas Day and it was such a big hit that I made it on New Year's Day.

Italian Wedding Soup

Bake or grill chicken (breasts, thighs, whatever you like)Shred it or chop it to small pieces.

1/2 lb. hamburg, salt/pepper, garlic pwdr. 1 egg and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, parsley, oregano, basil and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Mix all together and make small meatballs-1" or so. I usually put on a plate and microwave just enough to get most of the grease out then put them in a colander and run under hot water to get more grease out. Set aside.

Saute 1/2 onion, 4 ribs celery, 6-8 carrots in olive oil, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, parsley and a little oregano.

Once they are softened add chicken and meatballs and chopped spinach.Add maybe 2 quarts? chicken broth, enough to cover plus maybe a couple of inches over. Let simmer a couple of hours.

In the meantime, cook about 1-1/2 cups orzo(dry measurement), drain then put in fridge until close to serving.

(I skipped the orzo, for my DH)

Thanks, everyone! I think I'm going to do chili for tomorrow, but I am saving all these recipes to try over the next few months!

For noodle soups that need it sit a while I cook and serve the noodles separately. People can put as many noodles as they want then pour the hot soup on top.

Are you not in TX any more?

No, we are living in Thailand now, which is why I had to chuckle at this...

This is the best soup ever (I can eat three bowls whenever we make it), and while it would be quite pretty with (white) potato soup and (red) tomato soup, it might be too similar to the others for your preference. Butternut Squash Soup with Thai Gremolata from Better Homes & Gardens. It is SO good, and the gremolata is very important to it's yumminess.