Menu

Hunger Games author lives in Newtown, CT

Laurie

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has this already been brought up here in any of the discussions about the horrible murders at the school?

I haven't heard this in any of the news reports that I've seen either but it seems like something that should be seriously discussed.

Why should it be discussed? And I'm truly not asking to be snarky.

Has this already been brought up here in any of the discussions about the horrible murders at the school?

I haven't heard this in any of the news reports that I've seen either but it seems like something that should be seriously discussed.

Why?

Guest inoubliable

Why? :confused1:

I lived in Connecticut for 32 years. I have a cousin who is married to a Dr. and they live very close to Newtown.

Yes, I want a prize.

LOL

Sorry...just being silly here.

Well, we could talk about you...

I am sorry, I don't see how this is anything other than a bit of mild curiosity. What about it seems like it should be seriously discussed?

The town is only 60 miles away from New York City, that means that there are LOTS of people who live nearby.

And how do you know where she lives? Are you a mega fan or something?

I'm super curious where the OP was going with this? Seriously? I drove through CT once. That seems equally relevant! :confused1:

Two in one thread? Seems suspicious to me...

Ok, well here is a fun six degrees of separation.....

I once worked with a guy who worked for Bobby Flay. So it's like I worked with Bobby Flay!!

(I'm a little bored.)

Hmmmm. Flay.

You didn't get the connection between that, CT, and Kevin Bacon in a kilt (and Kevin was also eating bacon)?

Huh, I thought it was obvious.

I am shamed. But I've never been to CT or seen Bacon eat bacon.

OT - have you seen the Will Smith Rob Smith rob Smith Will Smith GIF?

I wasn't expecting humor/kilts, etc.

Really, the fact that a very celebrated author writes about young people killing young people for our reading pleasure, and then this horrible mass murder of mostly children happens in her own hometown and no one thinks there's anything worth discussing?

I'm sorry, but driving through CT once isn't exactly the same to me as someone writing books about kids killing other kids.

Really, the fact that a very celebrated author writes about young people killing young people for our reading pleasure, and then this horrible mass murder of mostly children happens in her own hometown and no one thinks there's anything worth discussing?

I'm sorry, but driving through CT once isn't exactly the same to me as someone writing books about kids killing other kids.

See this is how it works. Someone posts something ridiculous, and then in an attempt to shield them from public humiliation some nice gals form a club and try to change the subject.

Ok you really want to talk about it. Gee I don't really know what to add.

And I really am just joking about the first line (sort of).

Guest inoubliable

No. Just, no.

I wasn't expecting humor/kilts, etc. Really, the fact that a very celebrated author writes about young people killing young people for our reading pleasure, and then this horrible mass murder of mostly children happens in her own hometown and no one thinks there's anything worth discussing? I'm sorry, but driving through CT once isn't exactly the same to me as someone writing books about kids killing other kids.

Ridiculous. Not even remotely relevant.

I want to say more but...

Guest inoubliable

And if you don't eat bacon you can be in the club too.

Whew! I was afraid I'd have to sit this one out in the Vegan Corner.

I just looked it up. I'm not a big Hunger Games fan but I LOVE her Gregor the Overlander series.

And Wikipedia confirms, she lives in Sandy Hook. Interesting. She has 2 kids. Hopefully they are older!

You can't help but be affected by what is going on in your own neighborhood nevertheless though.

One time when DH was in high school he went to Shoney's for breakfast with a friend. They had like three dollars between them and somehow convinced the waitress to let them get one plate and fill up at the breakfast bar. His friend went up for them. And came back with the plate stacked full of every piece of bacon they had and nothing else. And said "I like bacon."

Did you actually read the book?

Bill

I liked the Hunger Game books. It wasn't a how to manual on killing children. Not at all. And there is no way you could compare this to what happened if you had actually read the books.

Wow, just wow.

There is a song I sing at home to my kids when they say or do something particularily stupid. It is to the tune of the pink panther. It is comprised of only the word dumb*** . I am humming it today.

The books were not just about the games themselves. It was a society that applauded and promoted this behavior. We, as humans, are still shocked by that kind of behavior, which is exactly the point. We should be. We should stand up against violence (notice I didn't say guns, I'm not touching that at all) and insane acts. If the author was touting the Hunger Games as her ideal society, I might be worried. To reach the full effect of the books, you really have to read all three books, not simply the first one as I know many people did.

I'm sure the author is grieving the loss her community experienced, just like everyone else.

But there was no surprise inside.