Menu

I am going to go ahead and stir the proverbial pot

Danestress

And just ask for a vacuum cleaner recommendation.

My second dyson has died. I am rather hard on cleaning equipment, so that might be more about my heavy use than the cleaner itself. I need have a mix of carpet and hardwood, and have to carry the Vacuum up and down stairs. So something powerful but user friendly would be good. Preferably under $250. I would spend more if it were gong to last, but my dysons are only lasting a few years. Any repairs that require it being seen involve a long drive and up to 2 weeks waiting, which annoys me.

Danestress, my advice is to go to your local mall/wherever you are most likely to purchase your next dream boat. If the folks there work on commission (or not) leave your name and number, your preferred model name, and straight up tell them, "you get this at this price, call me, I tip well" and smile.

We picked up a 500 dollar Hoover for less than 200 a few months ago this way. Someone bought it for a house gift, got used twice, and was returned.

Working formerly in retail, I cannot TELL you how much this happens around holiday time with all sorts of things. Folks can be unscrupulous and treat purchasing things like a rental, rather than how it is intended to go. Shipping back to the vendor/factory costs more than taking the profit hit, they still make money at over half off and more. It's simply how retail is programmed.

Can you get a cheap Walmart forty dollar job to tide you though until your dreamboat arrives?

January is notorious for this kind of discounting. I'd wait and hand you contact info out like candy.

Bribery in stores can save you a lot of money...lol

Miele. They are NOT cheap, but they will last the rest of your life and you can probably leave it to your kids. I have a friend who bought a 10 yo used Miele, she's had it for several years herself, and it still cleans better than any vacuum she's ever bought brand new. (And she has dogs, cats, and horses.) She talked me into buying ours, after I'd owned so many other vaccums (and not cheap ones, either) that would barely pick up a dog hair. We've had ours for ~3 years, and it's 1000% better than any vacuum I've ever owned. We have dogs, horses, and 3 acres of dirt, we have stone tile, laminate, and rugs, and it cleans them all like nothing else. I'd never buy anything but a Miele — but frankly I don't ever expect to have to buy another vacuum. I'll leave this one to DD in my will.

(FWIW, the owner of the place where we bought our Miele said that Dysons made up the vast majority of his repair business. He says he actually tries to talk people out of them, but some people just really want one.)

Jackie

Check out the reviews on the new shark rotator lift away. It's the red one. People are saying it's powerful (comparing it to dyson) but lightweight and easy to separate from the base to do stairs, etc. It's supposed to be amazing on hard floor and low pile carpet, but less so on deep pile compared to dyson. It's right about $249 but is avail at bed bath and beyond with a 20% off coupon. I just did all the legwork because I am down one vacuum here too. I've not received mine yet, but I thought I'd give you a place to start looking. I'd also love to know if anyone else has any experience with the lift-always good or bad.

I'd die for an old school Kirby. Some of the vintage Electrolux are pretty fine as well.

I have an Electrolux canister vac. It came with the house. It's almost as old as I am and it's a fantastic vac. With the exception of replacing the belt a couple of times, it's never given me any trouble in the 15 years we've been using it.

I have discovered Simplicity vacuum cleaners. They are remarkable machines that seem to be almost unheard of. They aren't on the inexpensive end, but I've never had a problem. Well, there was that time I ran over the cord...Can't blame the vacuum for that.

I have a Kirby and a Rainbow...Rainbows are a bit more work to use at first with the water and all, but it's the cleanest picker uper I've known and for a person with allergies, it's better. I've used ours for over 10 years and have yet to have a problem with it. My kirby I like for carpets better. But these carpets will be gone in the next few years and then I'll sell the Kirby...

Electrolux. That's all my mom and I have ever owned. These are the kind that you DON'T get from the big box store though - i think that's a new line of electrolux. ours came from the door-to-door salesman/freestanding electrolux store type situation. i buy all my stuff(bags and filters ) at an electrolux store. mine isa canister, now 14 years old and perfect. would not trade it for any other vacuum cleaner. my mom is 65 years old. she is on her second electrolux. the first (from not long after she got married in the 60's) lasted until about 15 years ago and i think she only got a new one because she wanted one rather than repair the old one.

They are expensive, but IMO, totally worth it.

I have an Electrolux canister vac. It came with the house. It's almost as old as I am and it's a fantastic vac. With the exception of replacing the belt a couple of times, it's never given me any trouble in the 15 years we've been using it.

My mom got hers in '83? '84?. Something like that. It still works well but it has a brush inside it that wears down with use. The dealer says that once it wears down enough that the brush no longer connects it will be almost impossible to fix. All the other old vacuums also have worn brushes. It is kind of sad, really, to know that the more you use your vacuum the faster it will die.

I have a miele and would not buy another. It works fabulously but I am constantly changing the bags because the area in which thet sit is so small. The bags never actually fill due to the small space. The bags are EXPENSIVE! No complaints about durability or function. I too vote for old school kirby.

Thirding the recommendation for a Miele. We've had ours for nine years and it still works exactly the same. We paid a lot, but the prices have come down quite a bit since then (not $250 but you will not have to replace it like you will a $250 vacuum). My husband actually likes vacuuming with it. Friends recently bought one on our recommendation, and my husband actually had vacuum envy, lol!

Seriously though. Miele. They are amazing.

The older Electrolux vacs are excellent. The newer ones are not made as well, so read reviews carefully if considering a new model.