Menu

No sugar, No fruit, No Starch diets

Bang!Zoom!

Has anyone done this for a lifestyle? Please note I'm using the word "starch" here. We've done zero "carb" and near zero sugar, but this is a change from that. This allows about twenty carbs a day, but zero on the starches.

With this heavy a meat focus, I'm a little skizzed out about the quality of the meats, (not to mention farm fed fish) this is looking really expensive. I have a list of foods from Duke, it's pretty short.

I found Linda's Low Carb Recipes, most will require some deletion to meet compliance of the rules for the diet; and that's fine - but...anyone BTDT and have some tips?

Sincerely yours,

Leaf Eater Extraordinare'

How do you find out what the starch content of foods are? Carbs are easy....but starch?

The rule is, "if it's a leaf, you may eat it" - no restrictions on preparation. Veggies are a little more restrictive, this is it. The List. :(

artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, eggplant, green beans (string beans), jicama, leeks, mushrooms, okra, onions, pepper pumpkin, shallots, snow peas, sprouts (bean and alfalfa) sugar snap peas, summer squash, tomatoes, rhubarb, wax beans, zucchini

So to confuse it even further, I thought snow peas were loaded with sugar, yes or no? And what is this jicama thing? Something you find at whole foods for 100 bucks a pound? Pepper pumpkin? Wha?

How do you find out what the starch content of foods are? Carbs are easy....but starch?

The rule is, "if it's a leaf, you may eat it" - no restrictions on preparation. Veggies are a little more restrictive, this is it. The List. :(

artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, eggplant, green beans (string beans), jicama, leeks, mushrooms, okra, onions, pepper pumpkin, shallots, snow peas, sprouts (bean and alfalfa) sugar snap peas, summer squash, tomatoes, rhubarb, wax beans, zucchini

So to confuse it even further, I thought snow peas were loaded with sugar, yes or no? And what is this jicama thing? Something you find at whole foods for 100 bucks a pound? Pepper pumpkin? Wha?

I don't think I would enjoy this diet as a lifestyle, but to answer your jicama question...It is a root vegetable and it is delicious and it should not cost you a $100 per pound. It is usually fairly reasonably priced. I love jicama raw in a salad.

Sugar fuels cravings so you will eat less over time. However I would invest in high

Quality meats. If nothing else start searching local farmers. Also you have to be careful with eggs because they aren't

All created equal as well. Load up on leafy greens.

Yeah, that's pretty much the veggies I eat, but I also eat lettuces, rutabaga, turnips and cabbage, too. I don't find out what the starch is, I just don't eat it. Cruddy answer, but I just don't even deal.

Did you read The Diabetes Miracle? She advocates that strict for 8 weeks, and if you cheat, you have to add another 4 days.

Paleo adds in sweet potatoes, because they're not a potato.

I have at times, off and on for about 7 yrs. I feel the absolute best on this diet, great energy, no mental fog, I stay at my weight effortlessly and lose if I need to lose. I'm heading back towards that direction now as I have pregnancy weight to lose, I've been slowly lowering my carbs/starches. I won't go super low though and I always make sure to eat until full.

I'll take all of that sugar, starch, and fruit off your hands.

Does this mean I get all of your canned tomatoes too? I just ran out. 😱

lol- you might see me selling a kitchen aid shortly, used twice..I'm going to have a hard time figuring out what to use it for if this actually works - mixing leaves probably isn't what it was meant to do.

We have 30 days to get things to level out and show improvement or another, even more restrictive path is going to open up.

Thanks for the positive comment of your efforts Soror. If that was the prize at the bottom of the box for sticking to it, I'm in. Good for you.

Helen, there are two lists for vegetables & greens, the first rule is "if it is a leaf, you may eat it." So lettuce & greens of all kinds are in. After looking around a bit last night, I think there is a book out which is titled "new atkins" that is a guide for the diet.

It's all new to me.

If I stray off the original print of the diet (I'm assuming this is a stage two deal, not sure yet) I find recipes for things made with almond flour. I don't trust the internet so much. So here's my question:

Is almond flour a starch?

Has anyone done this for a lifestyle? Please note I'm using the word "starch" here. We've done zero "carb" and near zero sugar, but this is a change from that. This allows about twenty carbs a day, but zero on the starches. With this heavy a meat focus, I'm a little skizzed out about the quality of the meats, (not to mention farm fed fish) this is looking really expensive. I have a list of foods from Duke, it's pretty short. I found Linda's Low Carb Recipes, most will require some deletion to meet compliance of the rules for the diet; and that's fine - but...anyone BTDT and have some tips? Sincerely yours, Leaf Eater Extraordinare'

I make quite a few recipes from Linda's Low Carb and I can't think of any I make that have starches.

Yeah, that's pretty much the veggies I eat, but I also eat lettuces, rutabaga, turnips and cabbage, too. I don't find out what the starch is, I just don't eat it. Cruddy answer, but I just don't even deal. Did you read The Diabetes Miracle? She advocates that strict for 8 weeks, and if you cheat, you have to add another 4 days. Paleo adds in sweet potatoes, because they're not a potato.

:iagree: Should definitely be a comma between pepper(s) and pumpkin. We eat all kinds of peppers, bell, jalapeno, anaheim, etc.

lol- you might see me selling a kitchen aid shortly, used twice..I'm going to have a hard time figuring out what to use it for if this actually works - mixing leaves probably isn't what it was meant to do. We have 30 days to get things to level out and show improvement or another, even more restrictive path is going to open up. Thanks for the positive comment of your efforts Soror. If that was the prize at the bottom of the box for sticking to it, I'm in. Good for you. Helen, there are two lists for vegetables & greens, the first rule is "if it is a leaf, you may eat it." So lettuce & greens of all kinds are in. After looking around a bit last night, I think there is a book out which is titled "new atkins" that is a guide for the diet. It's all new to me. If I stray off the original print of the diet (I'm assuming this is a stage two deal, not sure yet) I find recipes for things made with almond flour. I don't trust the internet so much. So here's my question: Is almond flour a starch?

Almond flour is made from almonds. Not a starch. Coconut flour is also a good alternative flour.

I think *most* would encourage you to avoid the substitutes when first going on the diet. Almonds are fairly low carb but it is quite easy to overeat them when making them into bread(although Elana's pantry has an awesome almond Paleo bread) and such. I think it makes it easier to transition personally, however that of course would depend on your personality. For some they can do moderation ok, however when coming off a carb/sugar heavy diet it can be easy to overeat such things. Also, it seems nuts can cause difficulty with weight loss for some. If you are facing some serious issues I'd go into it pretty strict, at least for 30 days, then perhaps try adding in some nuts/almond flour items to see how they work for you.

You might try looking at:

http://whole9life.com/start/

Back when I first started 7ish yrs ago I did SCD diet it allowed some dairy though, butter and 24 hr fermented homemade yogurt. It worked well for me then, although now it seems I'm better off of all dairy, although I have it from time to time. I was strictly off of it for 3 yrs or so. The GAPs diet is another one to look into for healing both are imo more restrictive than the Whole 30.

Thanks Soror/Kitten.

I think the idea of being very "clean" about experimenting is a good one; stay to the most brief list first, then to branch out and experiment some. Even with the foods which are allowed with the brief list, I'm finding that there are reactions within that list which are not going to work. It is really depressing to discover these, but it is what it is. Example: Last night I made crab cakes with the allowed ingredients, the post meal testing came in at 163 on the glucose meter. Twenty-three points higher than is acceptable. ?? The morning reading came in at 113, so about forty points higher than is acceptable.

So, that's out, even though all the foods are okay to eat. It's discovery one meal at a time, and I'm telling you, the psychic toll from this is pretty heavy. If it doesn't even out in the next 30 days and stays in range, the medication will change to insulin.

We are running out of time, a new med starts today, and if this combination doesn't work and it does change to insulin, I guess the positive issue is that overall diet still has to stay in with low carb/low sugar etc., and that'll still be a bonus, though frustrating.

Is this healthy to do for a lifetime? Can you get the same vitamins and antioxidants from vegetables alone? That is a pretty short list of vegetables.

You're not eating those vegetables alone--you're eating meat, eggs & cheese also. And yes, you can get all your nutrients from those and the veggies on the list (plus the leafy greens mentioned). It's not really a short list...my dh's list of veggies that he eats is much shorter!

There are online carb counters, like the Atkins one. Or you can get a little carb counter book. I have this one. It's 4"x5.5". Fits in your purse (or pocket) easily if you want to take it with you. Generally, if it has carbs, it's either sweet or starchy...peas are starchy. Corn is sweet & starchy. Tomatoes & onions are sweet. I don't know if there are carb counters that break down the amount of sugar vs. starch. Food labels usually list the sugar and fiber in an item, so you can figure the starch from that, but I don't know how you can do it in veggies. I just look at the overall count, minus the fiber.

I find recipes for things made with almond flour. I don't trust the internet so much. So here's my question: Is almond flour a starch?

Foods are either a protein, fat or carbohydrate. There are 3 types of carbs: starch, sugar and fiber. So the veggies on your list (being carbs, rather than protein or fat), as well as the almond flour, contain some amount of sugar, starch or fiber, even if it's really low. Some of the veggies you listed I am very careful of, as they contain more starch and sugar than others do (tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, brussel sprouts, pumpkin, and peas, among others). And although you don't have sweet potatoes on your list, since someone mentioned it I'd like to add that they are higher in sugar/starch than potatoes are, even if they are not technically a potato.

The almond flour is a combination of starch, fiber and fat. So while it still has starch, almond flour is still much better for you than a flour made from grain. You'd have to look it up on a carb counter to see if it's too much carbs for you at this point.

Has anyone done this for a lifestyle?

I've been doing this for nearly 7 months now. I know that when I reach my goal weight I need to continue eating this way, at maintenance level. Eating sugar and starch is what made me gain weight in the first place. I've also had significant benefits in other areas (dental health, for example). I don't want to lose progress there.

• 2 weeks later...

I encourage you to check out

http://whole9life.com/

I am not sure you can eat no starch for a lifestyle, but you can eat in a way that does make you healthier if you react negatively to starches. I eat 100% gluten and dairy free and about 98% grain free and sugar free.

Hope this helps

I've done zero sugar (fruit has sugar, so does milk.)

I ate as much pasta or potatoes as I wanted, so i ate starch. (absolutely NO breads of any kind.)

felt fabulous, lost a lot of weight fast, had tons of energy, could think clearly, would love to get back to it, but with kids it's hard.

Please note I'm using the word "starch" here. We've done zero "carb" and near zero sugar, but this is a change from that. This allows about twenty carbs a day, but zero on the starches.

I'm curious, if you're allowed 20g of carbs per day but none can be from starch, does that mean the 20g all comes from sugar? Or fiber? Or a mixture? And what is the reasoning behind the diet?

I've eaten low-carb consistently for two years now, and plan to do so for life. But I'm not sure I can be of any help, because I just restrict total carb grams, and I eat a little of both starches and simple sugars (and I don't include fiber in my counts). I think that sounds pretty different from what you're considering.

It is for diabetes management. It's been very difficult to stick to this, but there are results showing now, I pretty much pulled back from carb counting, really not necessary with these food selections honestly. I'll admit I feed myself carbs now and then, but found that I pay a pretty hefty price when I do. The diet isn't for me, I just tag along.

Hidden sugars have been tough to watch for, it is amazing now to walk in the store and watch folks get whatever they want off the shelves, a little jealous there..lol

I still can't figure out beans and legumes for starches though..ugh. I wish I could figure that out. Would save a ton of money if I could try them again, but all food is an experiment now. Some foods which are allowed end up tipping the meter too high, there's no rhyme or rule to it, just have to try it a few times, and if it reads high consistently, out it goes. We've found that seafood is a no no food now for example.

Beans and legumes are full of starch - 75% or more of the calories come from carbohydrates, mostly starches. Some people consider them a protein food but they aren't. They're starch. Period. They're also, like grains, very pro-inflammatory in some people. (I'm one of those people!). So even though they are a cheap food, they come at a price that is too hefty for some of us.

A blood glucose monitor is such an informative tool! Foods that "should" be okay sometimes turn out not to be, and foods that you might think you'd need to avoid turn out to be safe in small quantities. I'm not diabetic, but I have reactive hypoglycemia and a family history of diabetes, so I started testing myself. Possibly 30 of the best dollars I ever spent. One thing to be aware of, though: fructose will not show up on a glucose monitor, but that doesn't mean foods high in fructose are safe.

Seafood? That's odd. Do you mean breaded things like fried shrimp and crab cakes?

Most shellfish have carbs.

Really? Wow, I've looked up shrimp and crab legs, because those are the only ones I ever eat, and they are 0 per serving. Of course, sometimes the serving sizes are so small that you don't realize how fast things are adding up. So I'll look into it again. Thanks for the heads-up.

But one thing that came to mind is this: those packages of imitation crab legs and imitation lobster are LOADED with sugar! I don't know if that's what the OP was referring to, but I have noticed that before, and so I steer clear of them entirely. I don't like my main course to have so much sugar in it that it's like eating dessert!

Really? Wow, I've looked up shrimp and crab legs, because those are the only ones I ever eat, and they are 0 per serving. Of course, sometimes the serving sizes are so small that you don't realize how fast things are adding up. So I'll look into it again. Thanks for the heads-up

Shrimp, crab and crawfish do not have carbs, but others do. Clams, lobster, mussels, oysters and scallops do. Here's a list with counts. If you use a seafood sauce, that has a lot of carbs. I don't eat seafood, so I don't know what you'd normally eat it with. If you stick with butter and spices/seasonings, you'd be fine. Cream sauces are often made with starchy thickeners, but you can make your own with heavy cream.

one*mom, I wanted to let you know about a book that I just heard about, which might prove useful for you. I'm listening right now to one of Jimmy Moore's "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" podcasts, in which he is interviewing Carol Sinclair. She has a book entitled The IBS Low-Starch Diet. Even though it's about IBS in particular, because that's what the author suffered from, it sounds like it would have a lot of useful information for anyone who is reducing starch.