Menu

My kitchen aid is dead

I would be mortified!!! Actually, have you thought about having it re-furb'ed? I bought mine that way from a kitchen outlet. It works great!

Do you know how much it cost? My DH bought me this one @ 12 years ago, so I have gotten my $ out of it, but we use it just about every day. Sometimes more than once a day. I can't live without a stand mixer LOL. I'd like to get a bosch or something along that line, but we wont be able to until tax time.

Ugh, I think mine is about to go as well. I am afraid to mix bread with it anymore, I only use it for cakes - for that I could use a hand mixer and save the counter space.

Have you considered using a no-knead method? I have been using the "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day" book since December and loving it. I don't ever want to knead dough again. I use a big rubbermaid bin in the fridge to keep my bread dough.

Have you considered using a no-knead method? I have been using the "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day" book since December and loving it. I don't ever want to knead dough again. I use a big rubbermaid bin in the fridge to keep my bread dough.

Can you make wheat bread this way?

Can you make wheat bread this way?

I haven't tried it with wheat bread. Sometimes I add some wheat flour to the mix but not a lot really - they do have some wheat recipes in the book, I just have not tried them yet. The method seems to work best with white unbleached flour but I need to do some experimenting to see how wheaty I can get the bread and still use the no-knead method.

If anyone else has had success with wheat Artisan no-knead bread I would love to hear about it.

That's what I have been saying and now it looks like I will "have" to upgrade :D, but what to do until Febuary? :confused: :D

The Bosch is so stinking expensive, but it looks like, with a posse of kids, it is really the only way to go. I got my KA 6 years ago when we had 3 kids. I often wonder if we should have spent another $150 then and gotten the Bosch, but at the time I never imagined we'd have this many kids.

I haven't tried it with wheat bread. Sometimes I add some wheat flour to the mix but not a lot really - they do have some wheat recipes in the book, I just have not tried them yet. The method seems to work best with white unbleached flour but I need to do some experimenting to see how wheaty I can get the bread and still use the no-knead method.

If anyone else has had success with wheat Artisan no-knead bread I would love to hear about it.

Thanks. I will have to see if my library has the book and test out the wheat.

The Bosch is so stinking expensive, but it looks like, with a posse of kids, it is really the only way to go. I got my KA 6 years ago when we had 3 kids. I often wonder if we should have spent another $150 then and gotten the Bosch, but at the time I never imagined we'd have this many kids.

I know it. We only had 5 or 6 when we got ours and I did bake, but not as much as I do now.

Just have to say I had a KA Artisan that was about 4 years old and this past new years upgraded to a Bosch. I've since sold my KA. I LOVE MY BOSCH! I haven't bought bread since getting it and when I make a medium batch of dough for pizza I get at least 9-10 crusts out of that.

Keep an eye out at Pleasant Hill Grain as they do have ones that people didn't like and return that go in the clearance bin. Also give them a call sometimes they have things that aren't listed yet. I got a grain mill that way, although I sold it as milling just wasn't for me. We like white bread so all my stuff is made using King Arthur bread flour, but when I did mill for a while the Bosch handled wheat bread beautifully, but my family just didn't care for any of the variations I tried.

Do you know how much it cost? My DH bought me this one @ 12 years ago, so I have gotten my $ out of it, but we use it just about every day. Sometimes more than once a day. I can't live without a stand mixer LOL. I'd like to get a bosch or something along that line, but we wont be able to until tax time.

It was $180.

Jean,

I have a KA but use my Bosch mixer for all my heavy duty mixing. I learned that KA is not as heavy duty as I imagined it would be. Most people who switch to Bosch do so because their KA burnt out. Bosch's motor is a chainsaw motor! I expect to get some serious years out of mine. I also bought an attachment to roll my own oats or other grains and it is a a food processor, chopper, blender, etc. Do your research!

Which grain mill were you interested in? I bought a K-tec years ago but returned it because it was SOOO loud and it also had a LOT of dust flying around. I bought a Whispermill and have been very happy with it, but I don't know what's around now. I'd LOVE to have a stone mill!

Denise

Jean,

I have a KA but use my Bosch mixer for all my heavy duty mixing. I learned that KA is not as heavy duty as I imagined it would be. Most people who switch to Bosch do so because their KA burnt out. Bosch's motor is a chainsaw motor! I expect to get some serious years out of mine. I also bought an attachment to roll my own oats or other grains and it is a a food processor, chopper, blender, etc. Do your research!

Which grain mill were you interested in? I bought a K-tec years ago but returned it because it was SOOO loud and it also had a LOT of dust flying around. I bought a Whispermill and have been very happy with it, but I don't know what's around now. I'd LOVE to have a stone mill!

Denise

I just bought a nutrimill and so far have been happy. I do think a KA is wonderful, buta gree that it wasn't meant to make loads and load sof wheat bread. I'd buy another, but only after I get a Bosch I think.

Just have to say I had a KA Artisan that was about 4 years old and this past new years upgraded to a Bosch. I've since sold my KA. I LOVE MY BOSCH! I haven't bought bread since getting it and when I make a medium batch of dough for pizza I get at least 9-10 crusts out of that.

Keep an eye out at Pleasant Hill Grain as they do have ones that people didn't like and return that go in the clearance bin. Also give them a call sometimes they have things that aren't listed yet. I got a grain mill that way, although I sold it as milling just wasn't for me. We like white bread so all my stuff is made using King Arthur bread flour, but when I did mill for a while the Bosch handled wheat bread beautifully, but my family just didn't care for any of the variations I tried.

I'd love to be able to do jumbo batches. What I do now is make 2 batches back to back and by the time I am done the KA is HOT. Well was hot. Today is started making this awful nosie and then we smelled this awful smell LOL.

I love my Kitchenaid. DH actually bought it when he was single, and it's some 20 years old. I had one too, so we kept his and gave mine to a chef friend who never had one at home. I'd love a Bosch at some point so that I could make more loaves of bread at a time, but that's never been in the budget somehow. DH bought me grain mill some years ago when had a small windfall, and I'm thankful for that of course.

I tried the 5-minute no-knead book, and we frankly we didn't like the bread at all. I tried multiple recipes and sold the book. Something about it staying in the refridgerator that long brought out flavors we'd didn't like. I do use this no-knead recipe: http://www.sugoodsweets.com/blog/2007/03/no-knead-wwbread/ and make Cuban Bread in the food processor with WW (recipe http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10402&highlight=Cuban+Bread, I add 2 T. gluten and have doubled it in my extra-large food processor). You have more of a crowd than I do, but maybe those techniques will tide you through.

I use my Bosch for bread - and save the Kitchenaid for cakes and such. I could never get the dough kneaded well enough in the KA and would have to finish by hand, which pretty much defeated the purpose of using a machine. . .The Bosch has been great and I make 4 big loaves at a time (don't know if I could make more - I only have 4 bread pans - lol).

DH bought a refurb one from Amazon.com for me 3 years ago - great price, excellent mixer.

I'm sorry for your loss! :001_smile:

This is how I got mine, too. DH really lucked out and got one for me for $140 including shipping from Amazon. This was right around Christmas. It's the Artisan, and I love it. I don't make nearly the amount of bread you do, though.

Melissa

Jean,

I just had a couple of thoughts.

First, could you check Freecycle for automatic bread making machines? Sometimes people are looking to get rid of them. If you could get two, you'd be able to run them concurrently like Laine, The Frugal Homemaker. They'd surely last you til February when you could put them back on Freecycle after buying your Bosch.

My other idea is that maybe you could sell off some books to raise the money for the Bosch. It really does make more sense to go ahead and make that investment now if you can just find a way to drum up the cash.

Jean,

Denise

I did my research, and decided that a Bosch was clearly best for our family. I like to make as many whole wheat loaves as I can, at one time.

Then DH surprised me with a KA. :lol: Oh, well.

Quiver, I'm so sorry yours died!

Jenny, what a beautiful color KA! Mine is white, BUT my sis got it in a fab deal at Macy's for about $50 brand new!

What's wrong w/ hand kneading? I actually like it. Of course, if you're baking 6-8 loaves...well, I wouldn't love that!

I also want a Bosch! Maybe when I go back to work!

Jenny, what a beautiful color KA! Mine is white, BUT my sis got it in a fab deal at Macy's for about $50 brand new!

What's wrong w/ hand kneading? I actually like it. Of course, if you're baking 6-8 loaves...well, I wouldn't love that!

I also want a Bosch! Maybe when I go back to work!

:lol: That's not mine! Though I would love that color. I actually have one in plan old white too.

I'd love to be able to do jumbo batches. What I do now is make 2 batches back to back and by the time I am done the KA is HOT. Well was hot. Today is started making this awful nosie and then we smelled this awful smell LOL.

I've heard from several people online that as soon as they started baking whole wheat bread, their KA died. I don't think it is built to last with the load that whole wheat regularly puts on it.

I bought a used Universal Bosch a couple of years ago and it is still going strong. (Actually, I bought it from Ria.)

I highly recommend the Bosch if you can find a used one still in great shape.

I have a DLX and prefer it. I can send the Bosch to you and you can just pay me when you can. If you don't like it just send it back. The Bosch has the mixer and I also have the cookie dough hooks. I don't even know how much to sell it for. I can't imagine having my KA die. If yours had bit the dust last week, I could have brought it to Branson and met you.:) We went for the Answers in Genesis conference and were there 4 days. Just email me if you are interested.

Hey Quiver,

How in the world have you been making enough bread for your crew in you KA? I didn't read through all the other posts, but I'm hoping you'll be able to replace it with a Bosch or a DLX. We went with the DLX b/c it has all metal innards and doesn't have the middle post. I'm just looking up at Sunflower's post and that may be just the thing! And, with the price of storebought bread these days, you'll have that machine paid for in no time!

~Cindy

It is so worth the money. I love being able to make 6 loaves of whole wheat bread at a time. We also make pizza crusts, cinnamon rolls, hamburger buns. It has an amazing motor. It is a 4 speed mixer and yet mixes 15 pounds of whole wheat dough on speed 2 without even bogging down. I had the kitchen aid before this for 11 years and it doesn't even compare to the bosch.

Just my opinion,

Joy

I have a DLX and prefer it. I can send the Bosch to you and you can just pay me when you can. If you don't like it just send it back. The Bosch has the mixer and I also have the cookie dough hooks. I don't even know how much to sell it for. I can't imagine having my KA die. If yours had bit the dust last week, I could have brought it to Branson and met you.:) We went for the Answers in Genesis conference and were there 4 days. Just email me if you are interested.

I sent you a PM! I was in Branson on Tuesday too LOL!

Hey Quiver,

How in the world have you been making enough bread for your crew in you KA? I didn't read through all the other posts, but I'm hoping you'll be able to replace it with a Bosch or a DLX. We went with the DLX b/c it has all metal innards and doesn't have the middle post. I'm just looking up at Sunflower's post and that may be just the thing! And, with the price of storebought bread these days, you'll have that machine paid for in no time!

~Cindy

It's been a PITB. I make a batch, dump it into a greased bowl. Repeat. And I do this 2-3X times a week.

It is so worth the money. I love being able to make 6 loaves of whole wheat bread at a time. We also make pizza crusts, cinnamon rolls, hamburger buns. It has an amazing motor. It is a 4 speed mixer and yet mixes 15 pounds of whole wheat dough on speed 2 without even bogging down. I had the kitchen aid before this for 11 years and it doesn't even compare to the bosch.

Just my opinion,

Joy

I can't wait to get one. It would definitely make my life simpler.

I've heard from several people online that as soon as they started baking whole wheat bread, their KA died. I don't think it is built to last with the load that whole wheat regularly puts on it.

I bought a used Universal Bosch a couple of years ago and it is still going strong. (Actually, I bought it from Ria.)

I highly recommend the Bosch if you can find a used one still in great shape.

I was worried the KA wouldn't last too long with the wheat. I could hear the difference in the motor, but figured I'd have upgraded by now and then wel. life happened. :)

However, both my daughters and several of my SIL's have KA.

There are more powerful size KA that can handle bigger batches of dough. OUr daughter has one from Costco that is much bigger than the ones you usually find at say Kohls.

KA look so much cuter on the counter than the Bosch does, but my Bosch will mix everything! I regularly make a batch of bread that uses 15 cups of flour. No problems!

Actually, I haven't baked bread since May cuz we are remodeling....counter tops go in today, tile tomorrow. Hopefully I can bake over the weekend or next week. I am getting tired of store bought bread!

"It's been a PITB. I make a batch, dump it into a greased bowl. Repeat. And I do this 2-3X times a week."

I can't even imagine, Jean. Did you work out something with Sunflower?

~Cindy

I did email her, but haven't heard back yet. If I remember right today is her biopsy? I pray everything is going well.

A friend of mine wants to start buying bread from me once a week!! Now I just need a good recipe. My loaves always turn out flat on top...what am I doing wrong? I don't make a whole lot of bread for my crew anymore, mostly tortillas, rolls, and pancakes. So I'd sure love a good recipe.

Thanks!!

A friend of mine wants to start buying bread from me once a week!! Now I just need a good recipe. My loaves always turn out flat on top...what am I doing wrong? I don't make a whole lot of bread for my crew anymore, mostly tortillas, rolls, and pancakes. So I'd sure love a good recipe.

Thanks!!

OOps!! Meant to start a new thread!:001_smile: