Menu

Does your 8yo daughter like SOTW audiobook?

My mom has been getting my 8yo son one of these each year for Christmas since he was five. He LOVES them, and requests them almost nightly. So she got one for my nephew, who didn't love it. She is wondering about maybe my niece, who is 8. I'm not sure a girl would love them as much as a boy would. I think some of the appeal for my son is lots of batles!

So...does your 8yo daughter like these or no?

Thanks so much!

We just started listening to SOTW 2 today for the first time. My dd9 liked it, but it could be that I wasn't reading it and messing up the names or stuttering through the reading. After listening to me for the past year, how could she not like it! I think a child will like it, IF they like history. If they don't then the might not.

My kids love SOTW when I read it, but they are not huge fans of Jim Weiss, unfortunately. Now, we've only listened to SOTW 4 with him, so it could just be that it's more war after war and less culture/stories, but they weren't thrilled about some of his other non-SOTW CDs. (And they like music and audiobooks a lot, just not his voice.)

Mine loves, loves, loves audiobooks, but not the SOTW ones. :( I also found that I didn't like listening to them in the car because we would go through so many sections so quickly that it would mess me up at home. If we were listening to them on the go, there was a reason I couldn't read them at home - very rare, but happened on unexpected trips - and she wouldn't "get" them as well as when I read them more slowly. I wish SWB would read them...you know, in her spare time! We should strt a new initial set that goes SWB...IHST for SWB In Her Spare Time! ;)

I don't think it's a girl/boy issue as much as an education issue. I don't know many kids who would listen to SOTW without a family who cultivates some love for history, or some listening training for advanced audiobooks. Does that make sense? Many kids would turn their noses up and rather listen to something more fanciful or watch something that moves.

The reason my girls love SOTW is that we've read it together, my dh and I talk about it and think it's wonderful, and we listen/read a variety of literature.

Does that make sense??? I just sometimes realize that my girls are "into" things their PS counterparts aren't because we've cultivated an interest, or because they haven't had to suppress an unpopular interest.

The short of it is, I would NOT assume SOTW is a good fit for any child unless I knew the family. It's too expensive to be wasted if it is not treasured. :)

Thanks for everyone's responses. Sounds like most girls like them. Hope my niece is not one who doesn't. I always think it is funny that some people don't like Jim Weiss's voice! We just think he's awesome (have at least a dozen of his CDs), and can't see why other's wouldn't.

My mom would start her out with Volume 1, so at least there are some myths/fables included in that.

I don't think it's a girl/boy issue as much as an education issue. I don't know many kids who would listen to SOTW without a family who cultivates some love for history, or some listening training for advanced audiobooks. Does that make sense? Many kids would turn their noses up and rather listen to something more fanciful or watch something that moves.

The reason my girls love SOTW is that we've read it together, my dh and I talk about it and think it's wonderful, and we listen/read a variety of literature.

Does that make sense??? I just sometimes realize that my girls are "into" things their PS counterparts aren't because we've cultivated an interest, or because they haven't had to suppress an unpopular interest.

The short of it is, I would NOT assume SOTW is a good fit for any child unless I knew the family. It's too expensive to be wasted if it is not treasured. :)

Well my daughter who doesnt like it that I mentioned above happily listens to good literature and loves history in other forms. The SOTW audio books just seem to grate on her for some reason. My son has always liked them reasonably well. And he actually likes history less than his sister in general.