Menu

Wii-U -- is anyone else getting it?

Catwoman

I bought a Wii-U Deluxe for ds12 as one of his Christmas gifts, but I'm not seeing a lot of great games for it yet, and I'm hoping someone will have a few recommendations. It came with Nintendoland, which is supposed to be decent, but there's no point in giving him the system with only one game, so I need more.

I'm planning on getting the new Mario game, but I'm iffy on Scribblenauts because the reviews have been mixed, and although the new Sonic game is getting good reviews, ds never seems to use the Sonic games too often, so I'm afraid I would be throwing the $40 out the window if I get that one. There's a new Transformers Prime game, but I'm wondering if it is geared toward younger kids (and ds is already getting the Fall of Cybertron game for PS3 anyway.) I was planning on getting the new Tekken Tag Tournament 2 game for the Wii-U, but I bought ds a nice fightstick for XBox 360, so I'm sticking with the XBox version of Tekken.

Honestly, I'm not that excited about the Wii-U, but ds's friends are getting it, and I didn't want him to feel left out when they play online and stuff. But it's hard to buy games for a new system, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to choose. This will be a complete surprise for ds, so I can't even ask him what he wants.

Any suggestions? :)

That's all my kids want for Christmas, but I told them I wanted to wait a little while before buying one. I would suggest giving the few games that you know your DS would like, and then get a gift card so that he can pick out the ones he wants after the fact. One or two games will be enough for him to try out the Wii U and get a feel for it, and then you both win by letting him pick out the games he really wants.

I'm not excited about the Wii U either. I don't think it's different enough from the Wii to get all excited about it.

It was all my boys wanted as well. My youngest has Scribblenauts Unlimited for the 3DS and loves anything Scribblenauts. So I got Scribblenauts Unlimited for him, Super Mario Bros for the oldest and the middle wants the Lego City when it comes out. His alternate game was the ESPN sports game. I'll get them a points card and they can also get a virtual game. But we have all three systems. The loser here is the X box - the design is poor - that tray usually means burned gaming discs because it gets bumped by kids and cats - and they only use that to play Minecraft. My oldest loves his PS3.

(We have all three systems because their Uncle is a gaming junkie and thinks they should try it all. He has no kids and I don't have the heart to tell him no. :))

Actually our Wii's are on their last legs - we've had two of them since they first came out - and we're looking forward to the Wii U.

We've had the Wii U for a couple of weeks now (we were playing it on Thanksgiving, so sometime right before that).

We love it. I expected this NintendoLand game to be pretty weak but we have a great time playing it together. I

haven't played any of the solo games in it but the group games are hilarious fun!

We also bought the Mario game because we are huge Mario fans. It's great too. Fun for more than one person

to play also. But, of course, Mario is always great. :)

That is the only 2 games we have. I suspect the Sonic game is good.

By the way, I bought a second controller only to find out it was unnecessary. The main control it comes with

is what you have to use for a single player. However, any additional players can use your old Wii remotes.

Don't get rid of your old Wii remotes! :)

Hope it helps!

If you have 3 kids, is it a problem that there's only one remote?

With teh old wii, we bought extras, no biggie. But this one has that screen in it, and I dont even see the extra remotes for these available (and assuming they are $$$$$$)

I've been seriously debatging this, but just cannot decide....

You use the old wii remotes as extras, only one person at a time can use the video controller.

We've had the Wii U for a couple of weeks now (we were playing it on Thanksgiving, so sometime right before that).

We love it. I expected this NintendoLand game to be pretty weak but we have a great time playing it together. I

haven't played any of the solo games in it but the group games are hilarious fun!

We also bought the Mario game because we are huge Mario fans. It's great too. Fun for more than one person

to play also. But, of course, Mario is always great. :)

That is the only 2 games we have. I suspect the Sonic game is good.

Thanks! :)

I bought the Mario game yesterday, along with the new Avengers game. I was thinking of the new Batman game, but I watched some clips on my phone while I was at Toys R Us, and... let's just say the game is still at Toys R Us. I knew it was going to be dark and violent, but there's a creepy factor to the game that I hadn't really anticipated. The villains don't just look mean; they look psychotic -- and not in a funny way -- I mean, these characters look nightmare-inducing. :ack2:

I suspect the Avengers game will be kind of lame, but the selection at TRU was quite limited, and at least they were running a buy one, get one 50%-off sale, so the Avengers game was only $25.

If anyone else has any more game suggestions, please let me know!

THANKS!

No, but do you know about Game Fly? It's kind of like Netflix for games. I notice they have Wii U games too. I'm thinking of subscribing as a gift. A lot of times I buy games and the kids get bored with them quickly and then they just sit there. This might solve my problem.

I have been thinking of trying GameFly, too. I have purchased used games from them in the past and their shipping is lightning-fast, so they seem pretty reliable. The only thing I wonder is whether or not it's easy to get the newer/more popular games, or if you end up on a waiting list for months on end. I would think you'd have to reserve the new games well in advance, and have a relatively long "want" list, so you could be sure that as soon as you returned one game, another one would be on its way to you.

FWIW, even my teens love Scribblenauts 1 and 2 on the DS. I would hope the Wii-U version is designed the same way. I think it would be great fun on the tv screen instead of the small DS screen.

I wanted to get the Wii-U but I cannot justify the price right now because there aren't many games I'm interested in. Ds16 would like to try the Zombie-U game. He plays games like that but the trailer grossed me out!

my daughters want the Epic Mickey 2, and we played the Raving Rabbids game in the store, and it was fun...we are all big Raymond Raving Rabbids fans but I was going to link to it, and I can't find it on amazon - confusing! Anyway, all that said, not sure if we will get the Wii U or not - still thinking about it. I'm sure we will eventually, just not sure if we will for Christmas or not.

ETA - I found it! Here's the link: Rabbids Land - I was searching for Raving Rabbids and Raymond - should have just searched for Rabbids :-)

ETA2 - maybe it was this that we played in the stores? Rayman Legends - apparently I was spelling "Rayman" wrong in my searches. Oh, but I see this isn't due for release until March, so it must have been the first one we played... I should just go back to bed......

We're getting another wii from Gamestop instead. Our wii hasn't been able to play games in a year so the kids will be happy with their old games. :laugh: We've just used it for netflix. I agree the new wii-u isn't different enough to spend the money. I think we'll keep going with the wii until the kids are old enough for Xbox, then we'll make the switch.

I'm thinking this may be one of Nintendo's bombs.

Ds16 and I tried to find information about buying additional video controllers but the information we were finding is that only one can be used while the other players have to use wii-motes. I could see that getting out of hand for a group of siblings. Everyone would want the cool controller! It just seems like a disaster waiting to happen, unless there are more single player games than multi-player games. It just doesn't seem like a smart move.

Ds16 and I tried to find information about buying additional video controllers but the information we were finding is that only one can be used while the other players have to use wii-motes. I could see that getting out of hand for a group of siblings. Everyone would want the cool controller! It just seems like a disaster waiting to happen, unless there are more single player games than multi-player games. It just doesn't seem like a smart move.

Thanksgiving afternoon several of us played the NintendoLand games together by using the WiiU controller and 2 to 3 old Wii remotes.

I bought it for my boys. It is an upgrade from the Wii, the graphics are a lot better.

So far for games we got the Nitendoland, the Mario brothers, Madden, Epic Mickey 2, and I think Avengers. They are getting all this for Christmas (the games are from grandparents, wii u from us). I think the Sonic racing also looks good. It's supposed to be like Mario Kart.

There are some good games coming in spring too. I think it is worth getting if your kids will play with it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far -- I might go for the Sonic game after all, because it's less expensive than many of the other titles, and if it's like Mario Kart, it should be pretty decent. I was hesitating because ds doesn't usually play his Sonic games very often... and also because I already bought Little Big Planet Karting for PS3 and a few other racing games for XBox 360... but I need more games for the Wii-U, so it might be worth a try!

I was thinking of Epic Mickey 2, but ds had no interest at all in the first one when he tried it, so I think I'm going to pass on that one unless the reviews are incredible.

GameFly is really quick, but there can be a wait for newer games. DH got a free trial and then a one month subscription for $8, so we had it for two months. There was a couple of games he had to wait on, but he got newer games within a couple of weeks. He liked trying them out, but we don't want to buy every game he wants to try, so even the wait was OK for him. If you're DS just likes to own games and buys them soon after they come out, it may not be fun for him. Excellent customer service and very quick shipping/turn around time.

The Batman Arkham games are really dark and creepy. Really creepy.

The Batman Arkham games are really dark and creepy. Really creepy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about them. It wasn't even the violence that bothered me; it was the psycho-looking characters and the incredibly depressing atmosphere!

Thanks for the info on Gamefly -- I'm still debating about trying it. :)