Menu

Please talk to me about what your second grader is doing!

kagmypts

I plan to start homeschooling my kids next year, and while I have figured out what my (then) fourth grader will be doing, I am stumped with respect to my second grader. What programs are you using for your second grader and approximately how long is your child doing "seat work" each day? I would appreciate any other second grade specific advice! Thank you!!

Hi! Here is what my second grader is doing this year:

Saxon Math 2 (I would prefer that he were in 3 but you'll have to have yours take a placement test)

Building Thinking Skills 1

Latin's Not So Tough 2 (he's reviewing right now)

Hey, Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek 2

Logic of English

Logic of English Cursive

IEW Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales

Veritas Press Literature for second grade and guides

McGuffey Eclectic Second Reader

CC for everything else during the school year

This summer:

Nancy Larson Science 3

Story of the World 1

VP Old Testament/Ancient Egypt

VP Genesis-Joshua

other games and supplements for review

He spends 2 hours working with me, 2 hours with our whole family doing geography/history or fine arts/science and by himself he works an hour or two.......

Maybe more later...gotta go

We are pretty relaxed schoolers. We concentrate on the basics and everything else is a bonus.

This year DS is doing

Singapore Math 3 - Works about 45 mins daily between WB, Reviewing with IP and CWP books

Growing with Grammar and FLL - 10 mins daily between the two. I like FLL but DS is a workbook kid so using GWG allows me to check his retention from FLL.

All About Spelling - 15 mins 3 times a week

Writing with Ease - We are hit or miss on this program. He is very pencil phobic and this is generally the first thing dropped on a day that he is fighting me on seat work.

Explode the Code - 15 - 30 mins daily - He is only doing 2 pages a day but he fights me on this one quite frequently so it takes some time to get him to finally sit down and do it.

Story of the World (Ancients)

We are mainly just listening to the CDs in the car and reading extra books at home when we get a chance. We tried History Odyssey and he didn't like skipping around so much so we just bought the activity book for SOTW and will try a few more activities out of there in January

Science - We have random science kits around the house that he plays with and I try to have him check out some sort of life science book every week from the library that he reads through.

Memory Work - He has a lot of prayers that he needs to learn for Sunday School this year so we are working on all of those.

Math: RightStart C and Dreambox (online)

Spelling: All About Spelling--wrapping up Level 2 this month, then on to Level 3

Writing: WWE2 and Joy of Cursive

Other Language arts: IEW Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization

History: SOTW Ancients plus living books

Music: Suzuki violin

Science: Our weak point. I rely on Classical Conversations for experiments. We also occasionally read living books to support Classical Conversations memory work.

Reading: I have him read to me daily from actual books and encourage him to read to himself (but he is reluctant to do this).

Other Memory Work: Classical Conversations

Hi, I also consider us relaxed homeschoolers at the 2nd grade level. Here's what my 2nd grader has been doing this year:

Reading through the Magic Tree House series together

Independent reading from easy reader books we check out from the library

Activities - my daughter is getting close to her black belt in Tae Kwon Do, we built a garden using Square Foot Garden book, lots of beach combing - visiting Botanical Gardens - going to the Zoo - hiking

Seatwork:

Primary Language Lessons and Getty-Dubay Italic Handwriting...we were doing OPGTR and I'm going to start that up again, copywork and dictation exercises, All About Spelling

Apologia Zoology with notebooking journal (this has been a huge hit)

Miquon Math, Singapore Math and Life of Fred (and anything else she wants to do - living math books, etc)

Beginner's Bible, Loyola's Book of Saints

Map Skills 2 (it's a workbook)

readings from Aesop's Fables, Anansi Tales (she LOOOOOVED this) that we got from the library, Asian fairy tales

we have read through almost the entire Sonlight Core K booklist together

I'm not sure how long we spend on seat work. Maybe a little more than an hour?

I'm planning second grade for next year and we will probably continue a lot of what we've got going here.

This summer we will probably work through Evan-Moor's Beginning Geography (review for her, new for her brother).

Language:

• First Language Lessons 2
  • Writing With Ease 2
  • AAS (she will probably be around lvl 4)
  • Reading books
  • New American Cursive if needed

Math:

• SM 3 (Standards Edition)
  • Beast Academy 3A-3D

Science:

• RSO: Earth and Space

History:

• Story of the World 2 with Activity Guide
  • The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History

Fine Arts: (This is the area where we're pretty weak this year...hopefully my next plan will be better!)

• Home Art Studio Kindergarten (so littler siblings can participate)
  • Composer Study

All of what we use is in my siggy. However MOSTLY we use Ambleside Online Year 1 which alternates science, history and lit books. I also use the copy work book that was designed to go with AO Y1. These alternating books include:

~~Our Island Story, 50 Famous Stories Retold, Viking Tales, Trial and Triump

~~Herriot's Treasury, Burgess Bird Book (Nature observation and use of Handbook of Nature Study), Paddle to the Sea

~~Just So Stories, Aesops, Shakespeare, Blue Fairy Book, Poetry

We do art study and composer study when we can. Same goes for Speedy Spanish Primer.

I really should change my siggy to read: Math---WHATEVER! Currently we are using Liberty Math by CLP. Math is hard for my dd so I alternate what we use to help her think. Same ol thing over and over just shuts her down.

We are using Memoria Press core for 2nd grade, along with selections from Ambleside Online and Catholic Heritage Curriculum's spelling workbook and religion program. I also use Spell by Color for spelling, it is a rules based workbook created by a homeschooler that is available free online.

I really needed things mapped out for me this year, I like the structure of the MP lesson plans, it focuses on the 3 R's. I do use Singapore Math instead of Rod and Staff, which they have planning. I've heard great things about R&S, but we were already using SM so I wanted to continue with it. I use AO books as supplements and read alouds. Another advantage to the MP plans is that it includes a recitation schedule, poetry, and picture books. A lot of people feel that the science is a bit light and supplement the MP science with other programs.

I read on the Memoria Press message boards that they used Writing With Ease as a reference when designing the excercises in their literature guide workbooks. I think that language arts is their programs strength.

I'm still debating whether to use the MP lesson plans next year, or if I will go back to creating my own plans.

My son is a young second grader. He is doing:

Math Mammoth

Beast Academy

Scholastic Algebra Readiness Made Easy

All About Spelling

Handwriting without Tears

Spectrum Grammar

Spectrum Writing

Evan Moor for Reading Comprehension

REAL Science Odyssey

US History (various resources)

We do history and science as we can and some of the other stuff is supplemental. We do about 2 to 3 hours a day.

My daughter is "second grade" this year, but some subjects she works ahead. But the curriculum we are ahead in, we used from the beginning. It may look like a lot, but she enjoys doing much of this independently. I'd say she averages 3 hours a day, 4 days a week.

Language:

• Growing with Grammar 4, starting GWG5 in spring - added Digging into Diagramming this month
  • All About Spelling 5, starting AAS6 next month
  • Reading - she reads nonstop
  • Vocabulary - Wordly Wise 3000 Online 3 & 4, Content Vocabulary, Word Roots

Math:

• Singapore Math Standards 2 - the whole package
  • For fun - dabble in Miquon, online Dreambox, Life of Fred Elementary
  • Spring 2013 - Beast Academy

Science:

• Evan Moor Daily Science 3 - independent daily work
  • Singapore My Pals Are Here Science - together
  • RSO Earth and Space

History:

• Story of the World 2 - Medieval Times with SOTW tests, activity guide questions/mapwork
  • US History - various resources

Geography

• Evan Moor Daily Geography 4
  • various online geography sites and games

Spanish

• Rosetta Stone Level 1
  • Getting Started with Spanish

Art

• Meet the Masters
  • we have Atelier Art for free from enrichment school, may try this in spring

Critical Thinking

• tons of logic workbooks from Prufrock Press/Mindware/etc...

Music

• Piano
  • General Music in weekly homeschool enrichment class

What do you plan on using with your 4th grader? You might be able to combine your children for things like history and science, or at least for art and some other fun things.

My DD is in 3rd this year, but in 2nd she used:

Math:

Math-U-See Beta, Gamma

Life of Fred Apples-Edgewood

Science:

Noeo Chemistry 1, then moved on to Physics 2

History/Literature/Bible:

Sonlight Core C

Language Arts:

First Language Lessons 3

Writing With Ease 2/3

Spelling Workout C

Handwriting Without Tears 3

French:

Alex et Zoe 2

This took about 3 hours per day, including reading.

What I used last year for 2nd grade:

Math: Singapore Standards

Grammar: FLL, then switched to KISS Grammar

Spelling: R&S Spelling

Writing: WWE

Literature: I bought a stack of good books at the beginning of the year and had him read through them

History: SOTW2 with library books

Science: Library books, science kits

School took us about 2-2.5 hours

We will be starting 2nd grade in January.

English: First Language Lessons 2 plus possibility some exercises from R&S's english (Mon-Wed)

Writing: Writing With Ease 2 (Mon-Thurs)

Spelling: All About Spelling 2 (Mon-Thurs)

Reading/Literature: 45 minutes per day either reading-to-self (mom approved) or assigned reading from our history studies (Mon-Thurs)

30 min to an hour of Read Aloud time (Mon-Thurs)

Latin: Prima Latina (Mon-Thurs)

Math: CLE Math 2nd grade (Mon-Thurs)

History: Story of the World Vol.2 The Middle Ages (Mondays and Wednesdays)

Science: Still deciding (Tuesdays and Thursdays)

Bible: We have been using Bible Study Guide For All Ages but I think we will be switching to something I create myself. (Mon-Thurs)

Music: Practice 30 minutes daily (one son takes violin and the other takes piano)

I am teaching my two same-age sons so our day takes a bit longer since I am doing everything with two kids together. We have probably been spending around 3 to 3.5 hours on our first grade work. I anticipate 2nd grade taking between 3.5 and 4 hours.

We go to homeschool co-op on Fridays for the following:

P.E. - 1 hour (plus both boys take swim lessons once a week for 30 minutes and swim at the YMCA once or twice a week)

Spanish - 1 hour

Art - 1 hour

What do you plan on using with your 4th grader? You might be able to combine your children for things like history and science, or at least for art and some other fun things.

Here's what I have in mind for my fourth grader:

• Rod & Staff 4 (Math)

• Singapore Math Challenging Word Problems as a Supplement

• Rod & Staff English 4 (Grammar)

• Rod & Staff Spelling 4

• Writing Strands 3

• NOEO Level II Science

• U.S. History/Geography/Civics (will be piecing this together myself)

• Logic Supplements

• Narration/Dictation Work from Reading Passages

• Drawn Into the Heart of Reading (HOD Reading Program)

I like the idea of combining the two kids for history and science, but I am not sure how that will work. My fourth grader is much more "advanced" and independent than her second grade brother. While my second grader loves math like nobody's business, my fourth grader completely excels in reading comprehension, LA, and the like. They have very different strengths so I am not sure how combining them would work. I am certainly open to any ideas.

Thank you to all who have responded.

My 8yo is doing mostly second grade work.

Logic of English: covers phonics, grammar, and spelling

Classical Phonics + readers from Memoria Press first grade list (he's still learning to read)

SRA 2

New American Cursive

Math Mammoth 2

TOG Yr 1 (mostly I just read the books aloud)

Elemental Science Biology lapbooks

Daily Geography

Extra: gymnastics and drums in Homeschool Band

This usually makes for a 3 hour day unless he dawdles on his math, which is common, and alone can take up to 2 hours for 2 pages.

Times are approximate, but this is what my 2nd grader does...

Math-- math mammoth about 30-45 minutes 5 Xs a week

Language arts-

Writing (Writing with Ease 2) 15 minutes 4 Xs / week

Grammar (FLL 2) - 10 minutes 3Xs/ week

Spelling (AAS 3)- 20 minutes 4 Xs/week

Handwriting (Zaner Bloser cursive) 10 minutes 5xs /week

Phonics: (ETC 7) 15-20 minutes 5xs/week

Reading (Sonlight readers and other books) 20 minutes 5xs/week

Science- (ES earth space and astronomy) 30 minutes 2xs / week

History (Biblioplan) 30 minutes 3xs/week

Piano 30 minutes 5xs/week

Bible: (BSGFAA and TRUTH 66 Bible drill) 30 minutes 5 Xs / week

Spanish: co-op 2xs month and games when we get to it.

Last year, Ariel would have been in second grade based on her age.

We used:

Math Mammoth 3

All About Spelling 1+2

Galore Park Junior English 2

Writing with Ease 2

Cursive Handwriting by Teach Me Joy followed by Pictures in Cursive A-C

Galore Park Junior Science 2

home-designed US history using The Complete Book of US History as a spine

the first half of The Complete Book of Maps and Geography

Getting Started with Spanish

tons of reading aloud

With everything, I think it worked out to about 3 hours a day.

For 2nd grade ds7 is using:

Math: Singapore Math 2B & 3A

Spelling: He's learning to spell the 300 most common words.

Handwriting: Handwriting without Tears 3 & 4

Writing: He writes in a journal & does independent writing using the writing process

Reading: Sonlight Core D/Core 3 Advanced Readers & lots of library books

Literature/History/Geography: Sonlight Core D/Core 3

Science: We're doing a Well-Trained Mind-style study of earth science and astronomy

French: L'Art de Lire, Level 1

Art: Artistic Pursuits K-3, Book 1

Music: piano lessons

On a typical day ds does about 90 min of seatwork, followed by 30-45 of me reading aloud to him. It winds up being 2-2 1/2 hrs of schoolwork daily. Normally he practices piano immediately after breakfast (20-30 min), then he has a break to play before we start schoolwork. We work straight through all his schoolwork, then he has a break to play outside and eat lunch. After lunch he has silent reading time while the younger kids are napping. He usually reads for somewhere between 30 min - 1 hr daily, but I don't consider that part of his homeschooling time.

Everything we are using is in my sigg. Our school days take about 3 hour. We use the afternoons for science experiments, arts and crafts, piano practice and at least 30 minutes of free choice reading time. We also have a writing journal that my dd and I use to write back and forth to each other.This is something we really enjoy and I will have a wonderful keepsake of her writing as well!

J, 8 years old, 2nd Grade(ish):

Heart of Dakota Bigger Hearts- Everything except Math

Math U See Beta

Rosetta Stone Hebrew

General Music Ed- MN Public Radio Classical, MN Orchestra Concerts for Young People, various CD's, our own musical experiences (dh plays guitar and we have people over to play and sing together, J drums).

Art classes weekly

Swimming/Gym weekly

Children's Theater seasonal pass

Co-op classes- More art and gym, and a really great science class (doing Geology this year).

I think that's it!

We are consistently doing:

Math mammoth- she is behind in math and just finished 1st grade last week! Starting 2A tomorrow.

First Language Lessons 2

A Reason for Handwriting- will be starting cursive at her request this week

Apologia Astronomy w/ Junior notebook

SOTW 1 w/ AG and lapbook

reading through the Bible a chapter a day

Phonics pathways for phonics and spelling

We do artist/composer study, nature, character/virtue study, poetry, global studies, and letter writing rotating through the week. We use Writer's Express Handbook for writing.

Ideally, I'd like to do "Fun Fridays" where we do Miquon math, lit studies, sewing (her passion), fun science experiments, cooking, art, board games- all the stuff that seems to get pushed to the back burner during the week. unfortunately, we are so busy we often miss a day or two during the week and Friday ends up just like any other day to stay afloat. :/

I've just (finally) ordered ETC 4, Song School Latin, Challenging Word Problems, and Wordly Wise 3000 2 (w/the FREE online supplement) that we will start when we receive them. She also wants to start up US geography again (we dropped it about half way through at the beginning of the school year).

Whew! OK. Really, her school should take 2ish hours a day. However, she very easily distractible, and sometimes math alone will take 2 hours. Once we get through that, everything else goes fairly quickly. I send her off to do independent work while I work with my Ker and preKer. Right now that is only handwriting and sometimes copywork. Soon it will include ETC, CWP, and the WW supplement. I have to say, history and science are her favorite subjects this year. :)

Mine will be starting second grade in March (LOL, Don't ask. We had a transition year, and are getting back to a Jan-Dec schedule). If everything goes as planned:

BA3B

Singapore PM 3B

Logic of English Essentials

Logic of English Cursive

MCT Island

SOTW 2

German

And... Something for Science. I'm thinking maybe MBTP's Science concepts with the lit guides, so it's two birds, one stone.

Some of CHOLL (when we aren't doing the MBTP lit guides)

We school 5-6 days a week. Right now my second grader is only schooling 5, but I could see that changing sometime after the holidays. Heavy days she does 2 hours of seat work, an hour of independent reading, and 2 hours of group work; light days are less seat work and group work, but more independent reading.

She is working with the following curricula:

Math- a hybrid Saxon/Miquon program, supplemented with Kitchen Table Math, Education Unboxed, and math based games

English- Writing with Ease, All About Spelling, Handwriting Without Tears, (we are staring grammar after the new year)

Other subjects:

Logic- logic puzzles and games

Memory Work- scripture and poetry

Life Skills- phone ettiquette, self care, and cooking

Music- piano

Science, History, Geography, Artist/Composer studies, and Art are done as group work and the areas we are studying this year are listed below. I have a few books/programs I draw from, (like the SOTW audios), but prefer my homemade plans to any pre-packaged curriculum I have run across.