Menu

Remediating a Swiss Cheese Education

Where would you start?

My schooling was abysmal. Went to public schools K-12, and a mediocre private 4 yr college (BA - English Lit). I have so many gaps in my knowledge I don't know where to begin.

My *strongest* areas are literary analysis and wriitng.

I do reasonably well (but have gaps) in biology and history.

I am embarrassingly inept at any non-life science and math. My math background is Algebra 1 (high school) and Algebra and Statistics (college). No geometry, because my high school counselor put me in drama instead and I had no adults to advocate for me. My science background is biology in high school (EXCELLENT teacher) and physical science (learned nothing, remember nothing). No chemistry, no physics. Sad.

I also want to learn formal grammar (mainly the terminology) and how to diagram sentences. I think we did diagramming for a few weeks in 8th grade, but I forgot everything I thought I knew 5 minutes after the test.

I'm very smart and learn everything quickly. I'm not worried about being able to learn, I'm just overwhelmed by the task of finding a starting point.

(This was kind of embarrasing to write. Please don't think I'm lame or otherwise unqualified to teach my own kids. I'm not. My 3rd grade skills are fine, thanks)

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sort of on the over-educated side of things -- I took all of the subjects that you didn't and then some, and at this point in my life, I doubt I remember very much of it. (Realistically, other than teaching my ds, I probably don't have much use for all that information, anyway.)

So please don't feel like you should be embarrassed in any way! :grouphug:

I'm just learning along with my kids for right now. Well, a little bit ahead because I need to teach it. BUT, there is no way in the world to know everything, so I'm not even going to try. Once we get closer to higher level math, I will have to re-teach myself ahead of the kids, and if it gets to the point that they outpace me, I will outsource when necessary.

FYI the High School Board is also for those who are self educating. I lived over there (just finished homeschooling last spring) and got incredible recommendations for my dc that would also work well for self educating.

Don't feel bad, we are always learning, living = learning!!!

Diagramming: Rex Barks. Available on amazon. It'll do what you need for diagramming and answers are in the back.

Grammar: seriously, MCT books are GREAT! My son (10) does his work in level 3 (Practice Voyage now) and he can easily identify parts of speech, parts of sentence, direct objects, etc. When we talk about grammar around my husband, he hears the adults from Peanuts :D If you work alongside your kids (or in advance), you'll really get grammar.

Pick curricula that comes with detailed Teacher Manuals and you'll be fine. Really. Or use a curricula that has DVD-based instruction so you don't actually have to teach it yourself. Math-U-See, for example, has DVD based instruction that my DD watches herself, then practice until she masters the topic. They also have a Teacher manual that explains the topic for YOU.

For middle and high school level subjects, check out your options for outsourcing. I know plenty of high school aged kids who take their science classes through a co-op, including labs.

This is only our 6th year homeschooling - my oldest is in 5th grade - but honestly, I've learned more homeschooling my kids than I ever thought I would. You can do it!

Grammar: seriously, MCT books are GREAT! My son (10) does his work in level 3 (Practice Voyage now) and he can easily identify parts of speech, parts of sentence, direct objects, etc. When we talk about grammar around my husband, he hears the adults from Peanuts :D If you work alongside your kids (or in advance), you'll really get grammar.

:iagree:

The MCT program is fantastic and interesting. I was just reading Paragraph Town with my son tonight and the way he joyfully soaks up the story-based lessons from this (and other) MCT books is so amazing to witness, and the program enriches my understanding as well. Top notch!

Bill

Add me to the list of highly educated people who didn't retain nearly as much as I wish I had. Mostly, I am relearning right along with my kids...except for math, which I am truly LEARNING for the first time in my life. This produces some amazing light bulb moments for me. :) (And I took math up to pre calculus in both high school and college, in addition to statistics in grad school. I just never understood a lick of it and learned to memorize the algorithms to pass the tests.)

Where would you start?

I'm very smart and learn everything quickly. I'm not worried about being able to learn, I'm just overwhelmed by the task of finding a starting point.

(This was kind of embarrasing to write. Please don't think I'm lame or otherwise unqualified to teach my own kids. I'm not. My 3rd grade skills are fine, thanks)

You've got 6 years till high school, so you will be fine. I really like The Teaching Company classes and they have some on math and science topics that are really well done. For an overview of history, SWB is writing a high school/adult overview of world history and there are also lots of Teaching Company classes that go in depth if something sparks your interest. You could also start reading National Geographic and Smithsonian magazines. They cover a lot of interesting history, science and geography topic at a level that most adults can enjoy and learn from.

If you do a bit everyday, you'll be as well rounded as a provolone in a few years. (Sorry, I realize that was cheesy, but I couldn't resist).

The only place where I would suggest working ahead of your child(ren) is math. I think it is very important to know where things are going there to teach effectively. Even in third grade (and more so as you move up). So, I recommend a two pronged approach. First, I'd read about elementary math education. Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics is beyond excellent and a good place to start. Then I'd also recommend reading though (at a minimum, doing the exercises would also be most beneficial) Elementary Mathematics for Teachers. It gives specifics of how to teach math using the Singapore method as an example. It also will give you a big picture understanding of the whole of arithmetic.

Next, I'd work through an Algebra I book. Alternatively, you could enroll yourself in ALEKS Algebra I, which will go much faster. I did both and it was one of the best homeschooling decisions I ever made! Having that solid base in Algebra I is critical to understanding where all the arithmetic is going. This understanding is very helpful when teaching arithmetic (I know, because I *didn't* have it when teaching the older one and I *did* have it when teaching the younger one and there was a marked difference in my ability to focus on what was important).

As for geometry and higher, you can relax a bit, but you'll still want to get to it well before your child is there, even (IMHO) you decide to farm them out.

As for the other subjects, those are easier to do along with your child. If you wanted, you could do some grammar up front. I'd recommend starting with MCT's Magic Lens I and doing the practice book then moving to a more traditional text.

Good luck! I promise that all the work you put in now will pay off in a big way later.

So, I recommend a two pronged approach. First, I'd read about elementary math education. Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics is beyond excellent and a good place to start. Then I'd also recommend reading though (at a minimum, doing the exercises would also be most beneficial) Elementary Mathematics for Teachers. It gives specifics of how to teach math using the Singapore method as an example. It also will give you a big picture understanding of the whole of arithmetic.

I concur! I bought and read both of these books. I will likely read them again as a refresher. My path regarding math with my kids has been to realize that my own education in this area was lacking, to be open to remediation from a completely different perspective ,to read the above books to develop an understanding of the "whys" (in addition to the practical applications) and to be very honest with my children about my math education and subsequent math skills. I want them to know that I struggled with math and am in the process of overcoming much of it. I have a child with a learning disability (who excels at math), and I want him to have modeled the hard work that is involved for me to understand math. Inherent in that is also the lesson that everything will not always come easily to everyone equally. Some subjects will be a struggle. There is value in both the struggle and the result. (I know I sound like Rocky after his last fight, but truly, my path regarding math is not unlike that. :tongue_smilie: ) I hope that serves as encouragement to the OP. Sorry for the lack of paragraphs. I cannot seem to get that feature working for me on the board. I am clearly handicapped in that area, as well. :willy_nilly:

Guest submarines

If you do a bit everyday, you'll be as well rounded as a provolone in a few years. (Sorry, I realize that was cheesy, but I couldn't resist).

Provolone is rather bland. What about smoked gouda?

Well, you did better than me OP! Grammar? None. History? A little bit of Australian history only. Science? Basic. I have big gaps. I pick curriculum that will help me to learn too! And yes, my DD is a rising 3rd grader, I've learned more while homeschooling than any other time in my life. Other than that, I chose one thing that was a priority to me and worked at it. I"m currently about half-way through my studies to be a piano teacher. I also plan to study accounting/bookkeeping/business management in the near future.

:iagree:

The MCT program is fantastic and interesting. I was just reading Paragraph Town with my son tonight and the way he joyfully soaks up the story-based lessons from this (and other) MCT books is so amazing to witness, and the program enriches my understanding as well. Top notch!

Bill

I'm finally ordering this today! :drool5: :party:

:D That made me laugh!

OK, so the plan for math:

something to review pre-algebra/algebra 1 <--- suggestions, please! I'm on a budget, so inexpensive suggestions are especially appreciated :) Would the "Key to..." books work for this?

followed by MUS Geometry (I am silly with excitement about learning geometry. I've wanted to since I was in high school! Yay! Only had to wait 25 years to do it!)

I'll probably study more math beyond that, but I can't think that far ahead at the moment.

History: SWB's history for grown-ups (there are 2 so far, yes?)

Grammar: Rod & Staff or CLE (not sure which level)

Science: jury's still out on this one. Apologia's high school courses were suggested, so I'll look more into that. Open to other suggestions, too, though.

Thanks for your help with this. It feels so strange to be researching curriculum for ME.

For math, I'd use Khan Academy. It starts all the way at basic addition and takes you through calculus -- you can use their track (recommended, even though the first modules will be super-easy) or pick and choose subjects, and there are videos to eplain things for when you get stuck. It's free. They also have video science. None of my dc have liked the math videos, so we haven't tried science.

• 2 weeks later...

I am right where you are with math, OP! I've been working (very slowly) through Khan Academy, starting at the very beginning. I'd like to read the Ma book and do more serious study of algebra and calculus in a couple of years, but for right now, I feel like at least Khan Academy is free and waking up the dormant math part of my brain.

One of my big Swiss Cheese problems is history. My history education was high-quality, but really disjointed. My knowlege is a chunk here, a detail there, no sense of how things fit together. I'm an avid reader, but because I don't have a strong sense of the flow of human events, I find that I never really know where to drop in new information. I am pretty seriously pondering the idea of hanging up a cord that runs around the living room, so I can jot down dates and events on note cards and clip them to the timeline. (This may be a ridiculous plan, but I am tired of being so ignorant!)

I also want to tackle physics at some point, which was a big stumbling block for me in high school. But I don't have a plan for this yet. I did buy Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding for my Kindle, and I am embarrassed to admit that I have learned several things from reading a text intended for those teaching kindergartners. So that may be a thought for you!

We also bought a couple of posters about geological time and evolution:

http://www.amazon.com/Tree-Life-Poster-Print-24x36/dp/B003XRAI90

http://www.amazon.com/24x36-Geology-Educational-Science-Poster/dp/B000YZJS7M/ref=pd_sim_hg_3

I feel like all my educational gaps basically involve me knowing lots and lots of facts, but those facts being poorly organized and disconnected. So posters and timelines feel helpful to me (albeit kind of dorky).