Menu

Glad I'm Not American

Went grocery shopping. They've having a special on roast turkey breast. One side of the store was full of roast turkey smell.

Or stench, as it was interpreted by my pregnant self.

I honestly thought I was going to embarass Wolf and I by throwing the heck up.

So glad I'm not American. There's no *way* I'd survive cooking a turkey for Thanksgiving this wk.

*shudder*

Sure you would...we're cooking one in the smoker and one on the rotisserie... outside :) :leaving:

But I do know how you feel...hopefully you'll get over the sickies soon (With my girls, I got the sickies around 20 weeks, and got progressively worse until they were born.)

When I was pregnant it was the smell of tripas, a local delacasy that is deep fried cow guts. There's usually a booth serving it at most if the festivals big or small around here. Anyway once my son was eating a turkey wing and I made the mistake of saying, "When I was a kid the wings used to be my favorite part because it's got all that nice crispy skin and only a little bit of meat and it's fun to pick it from the bones." He said, "You mean we eat birds?" he gagged and had to spit out what he was eating.

Catching up on posts here. Turkey is how I figured out I was pregnant! According to my due date (though he was born several weeks early), I got pregnant on T-giving (apparently James Bond had a lot to be thankful for). We had Turkey for Christmas too, since we had a lot of people over. The next day James Bond was using the carcass to make broth for noddle soup. Something about the smell just did me in. I'd cooked the turkey with no problems the day before, but the smell was too much. I spent much of the afternoon opening windows and retching my guts up. I knew something was wrong, but figured I was just coming down with something. About a month later, I was at a restaurant with friends and someone ordered turkey. It was all I could do to keep my food down. I had been feeling tired and while I'm always sensitive to smells, this was overwhelming and I couldn't figure out why. For some reason the reaction the the turkey smell made me start counting. I realized there had been no period for quite a long time. When we left the restaurant, I ran to the PX before it closed and picked up 3 boxes (2 per box) of pregnancy tests. I went home and took 2 tests and they looked faintly positive, but I couldn't tell. The next morning, I took the remaining 4 tests (I wanted to be SURE) and they all showed positive. I went to the OB that morning to get a blood test done, which was of course positive and then they did an u/s because I had no idea how far along I was. I was just over 9 weeks pregnant! To this day I cannot look at turkey without thinking of how I figured out I was pregnant. :)

Catching up on posts here. Turkey is how I figured out I was pregnant! According to my due date (though he was born several weeks early), I got pregnant on T-giving (apparently James Bond had a lot to be thankful for). We had Turkey for Christmas too, since we had a lot of people over. The next day James Bond was using the carcass to make broth for noddle soup. Something about the smell just did me in. I'd cooked the turkey with no problems the day before, but the smell was too much. I spent much of the afternoon opening windows and retching my guts up. I knew something was wrong, but figured I was just coming down with something. About a month later, I was at a restaurant with friends and someone ordered turkey. It was all I could do to keep my food down. I had been feeling tired and while I'm always sensitive to smells, this was overwhelming and I couldn't figure out why. For some reason the reaction the the turkey smell made me start counting. I realized there had been no period for quite a long time. When we left the restaurant, I ran to the PX before it closed and picked up 3 boxes (2 per box) of pregnancy tests. I went home and took 2 tests and they looked faintly positive, but I couldn't tell. The next morning, I took the remaining 4 tests (I wanted to be SURE) and they all showed positive. I went to the OB that morning to get a blood test done, which was of course positive and then they did an u/s because I had no idea how far along I was. I was just over 9 weeks pregnant! To this day I cannot look at turkey without thinking of how I figured out I was pregnant. :)

That's awesome!

The sense of Super Smell is just...wow. All through my pregnancies, I am Super Scents. But the smell was so strong yesterday, even Wolf noticed it! Course, he wasn't ready to woof his cookies the way I was though! :tongue_smilie:

LOL!! I can totally sympathize with you. While I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy and have not had the squeemishness for awhile, there are still a couple smells that just do me in every time (pickles & my kids vitamins). I hope you are feeling better soon, and very glad you DO NOT have to cook a turkey this week! :laugh:

I had to shop for a vegetarian T'giving, and a turkey T'giving today. I am not pregnant, but I still I want to throw up. This is all crossing state lines.

The veg is on Thurs, and the turkey is on Fri.

This should be a math problem, ending with 'how much wine does LL need to survive?"

I calculate 1 bottle/2 hours, especially a low alcohol type like Moscato.

I have never cooked a turkey and I doubt there will be one at the table this Thursday. My mom gave birth to a special needs baby on Thanksgiving one year (he came home at Christmas, but she was at the hospital most of the time for many months after his birth). My uncle cooked a 25-lb bird and dropped it off at our house even though Thanksgiving dinner was canceled. Instead of freezing it, my dad fed us strips of meat off the carcass until it was gone. My mom had left a list of things to feed us, but my dad figured it was better to just finish off the turkey. Now, it probably wouldn't have been so bad had he done turkey sandwiches and turkey soup and such. Plain pieces of turkey meat for every meal for every day got quite unappetizing. I was so jealous that my 2yo brother got to eat Cheerios (he refused the turkey).

If my dad misses turkey at Thanksgiving, it's his own darn fault. :p