Menu

George Lucas to donate $4billion to Education

This makes the sellout to Disney a little more palatable. It's funny, my son was just asking why people who make millions or billions of dollars don't spend more on charity . . . I think I'll have to show him this article. He'll be pleased :).

Sorry about the Huffington Post Link-- probably there will be some more credible sources covering this shortly.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/george-lucas-donate-4-billion_n_2067145.html

I think that is awesome and extremely generous. My cynical dh says "I hope it isn't wasted," I don't know maybe he has a point? I am curious which charity he donated to specifically, was it in the article?

Quoting from another article (in Cinemablend; I don't know the quality of that source, but they quote from an article covering his signing of the Bill and Melinda Gates Charitiable Giving Pledge in 2010):

"In the statement he made then, which you can read in full here, he talked about the importance of storytellers in education, and said "It’s scary to think of our education system as little better than an assembly line with producing diplomas as its only goal." So it's not just that Lucas will be donating money to schools-- he's trying to change the ways schools are structured and what students learn, an immense goal that really only someone with so much cash can accomplish."

Time will tell whether his efforts make an impact or not. I am seeing different sources cite different charities, all sounding very authoritative about it; so I'm waiting a day or two for the dust to settle to see where the money is actually going.

"It’s not yet clear which foundation will get the proceeds. Lucas is currently the chairman of Edutopia, which is part of the George Lucas Educational Foundation. He could put money into that or create a new foundation that would be funded from the sale" (http://blog.sfgate.com/bottomline/2012/11/01/george-lucasgiving-away-most-of-his-4-billion-haul/ )

OP,

Your son might be interested in this page of the pledges made by the wealthy people

http://givingpledge.org/#enter

I'd feel better if he hadn't sold his movie franchise right now to get ahead of the new tax laws coming into effect in 2013. I suspect he has timed this donation for the same reason (e.g. to not lose his shirt due to his tax bracket).

A

I'd feel better if he hadn't sold his movie franchise right now to get ahead of the new tax laws coming into effect in 2013.

I would rather his money go to an education foundation than to Sacramento (California).

Marin county where his studio is has schools that need aid too. Not all of Marin are rich.

I'd feel better if he hadn't sold his movie franchise right now to get ahead of the new tax laws coming into effect in 2013. I suspect he has timed this donation for the same reason (e.g. to not lose his shirt due to his tax bracket).

A

Why shouldn't he? This way he has more say over where the money goes than the government if they just grabbed a heap in taxes.

I time what I do depending on taxes. Why shouldn't he?

Why shouldn't he? This way he has more say over where the money goes than the government if they just grabbed a heap in taxes.

:iagree: Gosh, I think you'd be a fool not to time a donation to your benefit on taxes.

A

Why? That just sounds intelligent.