Menu

MCT -- I am intrigued

Sahamamama

I know, I'm about, oh, three or four years late on this bandwagon. I'm slow.

Now I am intrigued by MCT products. We like FLL 3. We like WWE 2. We like English from the Roots Up. Really, we do. We simply...

From what I can tell online, MCT feels like an LA resource that will not leave us sighing at the end of each lesson. KWIM?

FLL/WWE really breaks it down, and that can be a good thing. But I think we miss aesthetics, or beauty, or wonder... something. I don't think that FLL/WWE is killing her (or my) love of English, but that combination isn't enhancing it, either.

Also, this child is very visual. I know MCT's format would appeal to her, give her more to think about when the lesson is done (because she would hold the lesson in her head as pictures).

:bigear: The $$$ is lined up. Talk me into buying it. :lol:

I cannot comment on the lower levels, but this is my perspective on the Essay Voyage level. EV does not address writing explicitly in the first 1/2 of the text. It focuses instead on stylistic features. I thought that the samples of the "voyagers" essays integrated techniques that demonstrate how strong writers tie thoughts together. However, if a student does not already know how to write an essay, EV is not going to teach them how.

The first part of the text also incorporates "classic" essays in addition to the the "voyagers" essays. At first we enjoyed them, but they are too similar to each other (similar genre) and after a while, even I was rolling my eyes at having to go through another one. They are just not that appealing for the target age level of EV (my dd used it in 6th grade, but it was all review for her and really was just affirming what she already knew. She could easily have used it in 5th.)

The latter part of the text has major problems from my perspective. It focuses on teaching students how to incorporate supporting quotes and MLA documentation. MCT, imnsho, violates good writing methodology in this portion of the book. Every single one of the essay examples includes too many block quotes, incorporates the block quotes at the end of the paragraph, and does not follow the "golden rule" of quoting---quotes support the argument and are not THE argument. He often introduces a block quote with a single sentence and the topic sentence/block quote is the entire paragraph leaving the quote AS the argument. That is the essence of weak writing......a big no-no. It is the writer's responsibility to create an argument and then incorporate quotes that validate the position presented. (and block quotes should be used sparingly!)

We really like CE and do recommend it, but we are not fans of the poetry.

HTH

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

We have loved Sentence Island and the Town level. Caesar's English is fantastic; the vocab is really sticking, and we see the words in the lit we are reading every day. I love the approach of choosing vocab words from literature. Both my girls have experienced quite a vocabulary expansion.

The Grammar treatment is so very different from FLL, it's hard to describe. You start with sentences, and work at the sentence level in all of your grammatical analysis, rather than focusing endlessly on individual parts of speech. It has been much more engaging and retention is excellent.

I have used the writing portions (Sentence Island and Paragraph Town) more as discussion & application tools, rather than explicit writing instruction. What I like about them is that they apply the rules of grammar to writing - to language - and help a kid understand why they need to know this - this is critical for my dd. And we have enjoyed both writing books, had many fruitful discussions about writing, but we do very few of the actual writing assignments; we are using WWS for explicit writing instruction.

We like it very very much and plan to continue using it.

Just buy it. I had it for 2 years and just stared at it. Well this year I started reading it to both my two. 6 and 8. I also started another grammar with ds but it always turns in to busy work and though he gets everything right it does nothing for him. I through the rest in a box and packed them with the other I hate this curriculum.

Seriously, my 6 year old can identify direct objects now, and most prepositions, as well as the other parts of speech. Parts of a sentence are easy for her too. It's because the entire book is discussion. Not the drill and kill worksheets. They actually have time to think about it. DS typically does not like cutesy little story things but he LOVES MCT. I don't even know if I'll add anything else this year for grammar. I'm just sick of trying to find something effective that doesn't make everyone moan and sigh.

We have loved Sentence Island and the Town level. Caesar's English is fantastic; the vocab is really sticking, and we see the words in the lit we are reading every day. I love the approach of choosing vocab words from literature. Both my girls have experienced quite a vocabulary expansion.

The Grammar treatment is so very different from FLL, it's hard to describe. You start with sentences, and work at the sentence level in all of your grammatical analysis, rather than focusing endlessly on individual parts of speech. It has been much more engaging and retention is excellent.

I have used the writing portions (Sentence Island and Paragraph Town) more as discussion & application tools, rather than explicit writing instruction. What I like about them is that they apply the rules of grammar to writing - to language - and help a kid understand why they need to know this - this is critical for my dd. And we have enjoyed both writing books, had many fruitful discussions about writing, but we do very few of the actual writing assignments; we are using WWS for explicit writing instruction.

:iagree: I'd get Grammar, Sentence and Practice Island (your dd's only 2nd grade, yes?) and keep WWE. They complement each other well. You can drop FLL if you're using MCT.

The poetry is great, but very in-depth for this age - you could skip Island poetry and add it in in Town if you wanted. And the vocab at the Island level (Building Langauge) I think is the weakest MCT book - Caesar's English I and II are fantastic, though - I'd say add those in at Town level as well.

I would finish FLL 3 & WWE 2, then do the "town" level next year. "Island" is nice for a child who really hasn't done much in the way of formal grammar, but "town" is much stronger IMHO.

See I would do the opposite. I'd ditch FLL now. We have a LOOOOONG time left of the year. You could easily get through Island.

See I would do the opposite. I'd ditch FLL now. We have a LOOOOONG time left of the year. You could easily get through Island.

In general, I am against switching programs in the middle of a book. Now if the current program is a total disaster, then that's a different story. But if the program is working okay like it sounded in the OP, I would stick in out to the end & then make the switch.

This is the path we took. I'm thankful we didn't miss the Island level! So many good memories. . .

I know. And even though DS is too "old" for picture books we all love this. And there is something about starting at the beginning that makes it seem like more of a story.

In general, I am against switching programs in the middle of a book. Now if the current program is a total disaster, then that's a different story. But if the program is working okay like it sounded in the OP, I would stick in out to the end & then make the switch.

It's practical advice for sure :001_smile:

I don't know the level of ho-hum the op has, but I know I can't stand FLL after one full year of it

I know, I'm about, oh, three or four years late on this bandwagon. I'm slow.

Now I am intrigued by MCT products.

:001_smile: I could have written this. When MCT was all the rage I was not interested. I was happy with what we were doing. But now I'm ready for something different. We did R&S last year and are doing it this year, and I'm looking for something else. I have been reading all the old MCT threads. I've looked at all their samples online. I've read everything else I can find on the subject. I think I'm in love.

I'm the opposite. By far, my biggest regrets have been from sticking with a program that wasn't ideal just because it wasn't a complete disaster. So much valuable time was wasted.

I think you are right. I tend to not want to give up and stick to something no matter what. I'm currently kind of in that situation with my 7 year old. I've been slogging through WWW and GWG and frankly I think they are not very good. I just hate the idea of switching. I don't want to do FLL anymore. I plan to start him on MCT next year and use WWE and possibly Hake along with it. So right now maybe I'm just wasting time and should consider using that time to do more reading or just anything else.

I agree with your review of GWG & WWW. It felt like a total waste of time. We got through about 2 weeks' worth of WWW and GWG before we hurled it down to the basement storage box. :tongue_smilie:

Regarding my original question -- Things are going well here this year with FLL 3 + WWE 2 + English from Roots Up. My student enjoys this entire line-up, and all the work is easy for her. Something tells me it's "too easy." Hmm....

For some reason I keep coming back to MCT -- can't stay away. I like the color. I like the fish. I like the bubbles. :blush: I like the four-level sentence analysis. I like the Literature course (Alice, Peter, Mole). Of course, now that we're a whole 10 weeks into 2nd grade, I'm thinking ahead to 3rd grade, LOL. :lol:

But here's how I would try to use it (would this work?): Get the whole package and then choose the most appropriate parts to add in for 2nd grade. We could use whatever works this year to reinforce what we are already doing with WWE/FLL, then do all the rest of Island in 3rd, along with WWE 3 & FLL 4 (we don't exactly want to give these up).

I think we have time to add in some MCT Island this year, really I do, without it becoming Grammar Overload. She likes understanding language.

I'm thinking that if I wait to get Island for 3rd grade, I will kick myself for not getting it this year and using it "as desired." Sort of like eating your eggs first, then buying salt.

So could I use Island this way for 2nd, and then use whatever is left over for 3rd (+ WWE 3 + FLL 4)?

MCT Island has been great for us. I was kind of dubious about Music of the Hemispheres, but now I have a 7-year-old who swoons about how much she loves sonnets, memorizes bits of Shakespeare, and says that "iambic is my favorite kind of meter, Mom."

I agree with your review of GWG & WWW. It felt like a total waste of time. We got through about 2 weeks' worth of WWW and GWG before we hurled it down to the basement storage box. :tongue_smilie:

Regarding my original question -- Things are going well here this year with FLL 3 + WWE 2 + English from Roots Up. My student enjoys this entire line-up, and all the work is easy for her. Something tells me it's "too easy." Hmm....

For some reason I keep coming back to MCT -- can't stay away. I like the color. I like the fish. I like the bubbles. :blush: I like the four-level sentence analysis. I like the Literature course (Alice, Peter, Mole). Of course, now that we're a whole 10 weeks into 2nd grade, I'm thinking ahead to 3rd grade, LOL. :lol:

But here's how I would try to use it (would this work?): Get the whole package and then choose the most appropriate parts to add in for 2nd grade. We could use whatever works this year to reinforce what we are already doing with WWE/FLL, then do all the rest of Island in 3rd, along with WWE 3 & FLL 4 (we don't exactly want to give these up).

I think we have time to add in some MCT Island this year, really I do, without it becoming Grammar Overload. She likes understanding language.

I'm thinking that if I wait to get Island for 3rd grade, I will kick myself for not getting it this year and using it "as desired." Sort of like eating your eggs first, then buying salt.

So could I use Island this way for 2nd, and then use whatever is left over for 3rd (+ WWE 3 + FLL 4)?

This sounds totally doable to me! I am a big advocate of using the pieces of MCT when it seems right - not worrying too much about using all the levels together, or in the same "grade" or whatever. Make it work for you!